What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CO C Trenton "Tiny" Noller (Verbal to Navy)

Just thought I'd point out that Noller is now a 5.5 three star and unranked at his position.

Tiny is going to make or break his future with this years camps. He has a lot of good going for him but also a lot of questions. He appears to be a kid who matured early, does he have much physical growth left in him (he can continue to get stronger but will he get any taller?) He clearly dominates at the level of HS ball he plays at but can he maintain blocks against guys who are BCS level sized, can he pass block with his shorter arms? Does he have the balance and footwork to manage against higher level guys?

The camp circuit is where a lot of those questions will be answered for the coaches. Camps are not game situations but the coaches can take a close look at how a kid does against stepped up competition. The can create some situtations that force weaknesses to show up.

Tiny could certainly open some eyes this summer if he does well. Remember that Kai Maivai (sp.?) who Hawkins famously wanted to play at FB was very successful at UCLA even getting some all-conference votes at about the same height and with short limbs like Tiny.

I hope he does well. He seems to be a good kid who has worked hard is willing to do what it takes to succeed. If M2 thinks he is a good fit at CU then I'd love to see him in Boulder. If not I hope he does well someplace else. I usually pull for Colorado kids unless they do something individually to warrant not supporting them (like going to Nebraska or acting in some other way to embarass the state.

My original take still applies. Hopefully this summer is spent shedding some baggage, hitting the jump rope and working on pass sets.

'14 CO C Trenton "Tiny" Noller

Tiny is going to make or break his future with this years camps. He has a lot of good going for him but also a lot of questions. He appears to be a kid who matured early, does he have much physical growth left in him (he can continue to get stronger but will he get any taller?) He clearly dominates at the level of HS ball he plays at but can he maintain blocks against guys who are BCS level sized, can he pass block with his shorter arms? Does he have the balance and footwork to manage against higher level guys?

The camp circuit is where a lot of those questions will be answered for the coaches. Camps are not game situations but the coaches can take a close look at how a kid does against stepped up competition. The can create some situtations that force weaknesses to show up.

Tiny could certainly open some eyes this summer if he does well. Remember that Kai Maivai (sp.?) who Hawkins famously wanted to play at FB was very successful at UCLA even getting some all-conference votes at about the same height and with short limbs like Tiny.

I hope he does well. He seems to be a good kid who has worked hard is willing to do what it takes to succeed. If M2 thinks he is a good fit at CU then I'd love to see him in Boulder. If not I hope he does well someplace else. I usually pull for Colorado kids unless they do something individually to warrant not supporting them (like going to Nebraska or acting in some other way to embarass the state.

You're ignoring the huge issue which is his weight, he has way, way, way too much extra weight on him which raises huge questions about his work ethic. He really needs to get down to 300-305

Trenton would make an excellent addition to the program. Evaluating high school OL is probably the toughest job for scouts. The big mistake is they evaluate OL the same, when they should be evaluated differently. A OL that is suited for the spread may not be suited for the pro-style offense or zone blocking scheme. And some OL are late bloomers. I like Noller size, he should keep the weight on as a center. A good coach will teach him the right technique, the rest is up to him. I can see him starting for CU in 2 or 3 years.

Big Bang, you are not seriously advocating that Noller stay at 350+... I know you are not. Please confirm.

'14 CO C Trenton "Tiny" Noller

Trenton would make an excellent addition to the program. Evaluating high school OL is probably the toughest job for scouts. The big mistake is they evaluate OL the same, when they should be evaluated differently. A OL that is suited for the spread may not be suited for the pro-style offense or zone blocking scheme. And some OL are late bloomers. I like Noller size, he should keep the weight on as a center. A good coach will teach him the right technique, the rest is up to him. I can see him starting for CU in 2 or 3 years.

6'2" 355....great size :rollingeyes:

You're ignoring the huge issue which is his weight, he has way, way, way too much extra weight on him which raises huge questions about his work ethic. He really needs to get down to 300-305

I agree completely. I would go a little further and say that he needs to get down to about 290 then start putting on the right kind of weight. Since this is a recruit's thread I'm trying to put criticisms in less negative ways. The weight issue is one of those questions that coaches are going to be looking at in the camps. He doesn't neccessarily need to drop all the extra weight right now but he has to show that he has the discipline to effectively go to work on dropping the weight.

I look at our one OL commit, Miller, and see his measurables: 6'7", 250lb, and couple that with MM's mandate 3 current DL need to shed 100lb combined pounds, and it's clear how they view linemen. Not surprised this recruit doesn't have an offer yet. MM has put the emphasis on athletic OL with room to grow. Hope he sticks to that plan.

He will make the weight, I have seen reports of him weighing about 310, then others say 355, he doesn't look like a 355 pounder in the video posted on the first page. After saying that I am confident that we can develop him into a solid contributor. He will make the weight.

There won't be any official reports of his weight until he takes OV in the fall.

There's a big difference between 305 and 350+, coaches don't need to do much more than look at him in person to figure that out. Whether or not you like speculation is irrelevant.

The mere fact that he has allowed himself to balloon up to 350, allegedly, tells coaches that work ethic and discipline are lacking. Not a good thing for OL.

I doubt that he is 355 pounds, his playing weight will most likely be around 310 pounds.

He played last year around 305 lbs. Which is where he should be. This off season, according to someone who knows him personally he's been as heavy as 356 lbs. Another poster heard 370. Either way, people have serious questions about this kids dedication. 50 lbs is a lot for a kid to gain in one off-season, and no coach in their right mind would want a center that goes 6'2" 350. Centers are generally your lightest guys on the line. They have to be able to move, and according to people who have watched the kid recently, he can't move at that weight.

Self-Reported on rivals to be about 320 pounds.

fify

Unless they are using camp data which isn't the case here the information on rivals comes from the recruit or his family. He may be 320, he may be 350, we don't know. What I do know is that based on the pictures I have seen he has a lot of extra weight on him right now.

If he can get the weight issue under control that would be a big feather in his cap, show that he has the discipline to address an issue and handle it. I'm pulling for the kid. I don't know him but my sense is that he is a good, down to earth kid who has tried very hard to make himself a solid player. I want to see him get the payoff in Boulder or elsewhere. That all said he does have some issues right now that he is going to have to deal with to be a BCS level player, that's just honest, not critical.

No. Defensive Linemen have much more explosiveness. Being rotund is not the primary skill one would need to meet.

I look at our one OL commit, Miller, and see his measurables: 6'7", 250lb, and couple that with MM's mandate 3 current DL need to shed 100lb combined pounds, and it's clear how they view linemen. Not surprised this recruit doesn't have an offer yet. MM has put the emphasis on athletic OL with room to grow. Hope he sticks to that plan.

Agreed. Athletic linemen are a must. With defenses getting faster, and really lean guys like Dion Jordan dominating in the Pac-12 you need linemen who can move, on both sides of the ball. I absolutely love Miller's size. At 6'7'' and 250, he has plenty of room to grow, and in a program like Colorado he can red shirt and bulk up the right way, under team supervision. Adding bulk is a lot easier, and will yield better results than trying to chisel fat away. Look at former Longhorn and current Redskin Brian Orakpo. When he arrived on campus at Texas he was a skinny 6'4'' 210. He called himself weak. He redshirted as a Freshman and worked on adding muscle to his frame. By the time he left school he was a first round pick and a physical specimen 263 lbs.

I'm not saying that Miller is going to be on the same level as Orakpo (go Redskins!) but there's certainly a precedent for adding weight, and Miller's only really got around 50 pounds to gain. By adding high quality calories, hitting the weight room and dedicating himself he shouldn't have much trouble. I just hope his freshman meal plan covers it.

That's two Windsor kids to Annapolis, right? Might have to follow through on my thought to sponsor midshipmen.

Maybe he can find the "aaaaaaaoooogggaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh" button on the submarine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back