What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 JC DT Trevor Kelly (Verbal to Cal)

He would be a good get. Even if he isn't a starter if he can be a solid rotation guy it would mean that we could more effectively rotate interior DL. We don't have any of the big, dominant anchor guys so it is important that we can keep the guys we are playing fresh.

Tupou was that dominant anchor guy at times this season and I think he will be a beast as a JR. Solis also made a lot of progress.

They rotated 4 guys in, so I think they just want to make sure they have 4 guys to play at all times, without using a True Frosh. I think this is "the system" up front.

Last years PT (#plays out of 924 total snaps):
Tupou 598
Solis 479
Bonsu 344 (eligibility used up)
Henington 251
Kafovalu 184*
Poston 162*

*Some portion of these were at DE position, but certainly some were on the interior.

Tupou was that dominant anchor guy at times this season and I think he will be a beast as a JR. Solis also made a lot of progress.

They rotated 4 guys in, so I think they just want to make sure they have 4 guys to play at all times, without using a True Frosh. I think this is "the system" up front.

Last years PT (#plays out of 924 total snaps):
Tupou 598
Solis 479
Bonsu 344 (eligibility used up)
Henington 251
Kafovalu 184*
Poston 162*

*Some portion of these were at DE position, but certainly some were on the interior.

Tupou was very good at times last season, made major steps from the prior year. Not unreasonable to expect him to be even better next year with another year in the S&C program
Solis didn't advance as much but was also improved. Henington was a decent rotation guy but needs to step up a lot in strength to be a factor.
Dafovalu and Poston both tried hard but got pushed around pretty well when they were playing inside, both did play both inside and out with Poston spending more time inside if I am remembering right.

Kelly is a solid 300+ pound guy who along with Henington would give us 4 legitimate, solid DTs plus what we get out of the last two. A lot of the better teams will rotate 6 to keep them fresh and reduce the impact of injuries.

What's annoying me is that Tyler Henington should have redshirted his first year and be a class behind those guys. He's got such a high ceiling, but he's in the 270 lb range while Tupou and Solis had bodies that were much more college ready (actually had to increase their fitness & improve their diet to get down to 300 lbs).

What's annoying me is that Tyler Henington should have redshirted his first year and be a class behind those guys. He's got such a high ceiling, but he's in the 270 lb range while Tupou and Solis had bodies that were much more college ready (actually had to increase their fitness & improve their diet to get down to 300 lbs).

Embree....

This is what happens when you have no depth.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hennington RS now. He looks like the kind of guy who can be a playmaker on the inside.

'14 JC DT Trevor Kelly

This is what happens when you have no depth.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hennington RS now. He looks like the kind of guy who can be a playmaker on the inside.

We didn't have much depth on the OL this year and our coaching staff worked around that so that the freshman could redshirt, and it worked. Of course when you have a strength coach who keeps the injuries down as much as Forman did this year it helps a lot. I don't remember what the depth chart looked like in 2012 for DL but I bet it wouldn't have been that difficult to redshirt Henington. But of course this was Embree...

We didn't have much depth on the OL this year and our coaching staff worked around that so that the freshman could redshirt, and it worked. Of course when you have a strength coach who keeps the injuries down as much as Forman did this year it helps a lot. I don't remember what the depth chart looked like in 2012 for DL but I bet it wouldn't have been that difficult to redshirt Henington. But of course this was Embree...

We had Pericak, Bonsu and the freshmen in 2012. So the same as this year plus Pericak. No reason that Henington couldn't have redshirted.

Actually the root of these issues started with Bandison.

Agree but the ultimate responsibility goes to guy with title of head coach.

Embree went into panic mode so quickly we can see decisions at almost every position that hurt us or are hurting us now.

Have to give credit to M2, He could easily have justified pushing some of the guys who RSed this your out there but he makes decisions like a guy who has a plan.

On the other hand for all the disasters that are fairly credited to the Embree regime we should at least give him credit for bringing in the group of DTs we have.

We had Pericak, Bonsu and the freshmen in 2012. So the same as this year plus Pericak. No reason that Henington couldn't have redshirted.

I don't usually defend Embree, but he moved Pericek to the outside, and the freshman had a lot of injuries. Solis missed 5 games and Tupou missed 2 full games, plus most of a 3rd iirc. Bonsu also missed 3 full games and part of a 4th.

I think Poston got hurt in the Sac St game (played in 9 plays and dnp the next week vs Fresno St) and that's when they ended up moving Pericek. Because they took off Solis' Redshirt in that game, and possibly Hennington. I can't confirm the latter, but I know he saw action in 11 games.

Kelly has committed to Cal.

The mere fact that we were recruiting a junior DT was concerning to me due to the class balance on the CU roster. What does that tell us about the guys who are currently in the program?

This offseason is going to be hugely important for Solis, Tupou, Henington, Samson and others. They have to take a major step.

Disappointing to lose Kelly to Cal. I mean, I think we're a better program and we're headed in the right direction, but alas. He's got his reasons. You're right, this year will be key for those guys.

I am not higly concerned with those guys. They all should be a step better this upcoming year than last with another additional year of maturation and experience. At the same time none of them has shown to be a "playmaker" type.

My thoughts are that the coaches saw an opportunity to bring in a different type of guy than they already had on the roster. I wanted him because it's hard to have to many interior defensive linemen.

The positive is that in going to Cal we know that he is likely to be a part of the program that most consistently underperforms its talent in the PAC.

Kelly has committed to Cal.

The mere fact that we were recruiting a junior DT was concerning to me due to the class balance on the CU roster. What does that tell us about the guys who are currently in the program?

This offseason is going to be hugely important for Solis, Tupou, Henington, Samson and others. They have to take a major step.

All those guys have redshirts available to them. Concerns me also fwiw.

Oh come on, Mtn. The coaches thought they could bring in a different type of player? Really?

By different type of player, I think he meant "better".... Thus the concern expressed by some that we were pursuing him. Meant the staff felt we needed more immediate help there.

Oh come on, Mtn. The coaches thought they could bring in a different type of player? Really?

I'm not unhappy with the guys we have but they aren't the kind of DTs that have shown so far an ability to generate penetration and inside pass rush. They did much better this year than last at neutralizing at the LOS but from the highlight tapes it looked like Kelly was more of a type who in addition to holding up at the point of attack could have been a threat to get some tackles for loss or generate some pressure on the QB.

Back