What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 TX ATH Reggie Turner

He can run between the tackles even if he's small, he isn't gonna tote it 20 times a game there tho. Anyway, I just see him as upgrading speed and giving us a hr threat no matter where u put him.

If he weighs under 170 he isn't playing RB. There will be no space since the D coordinators will know if he tries to run in between the tackles he will break in half. Thus they will set there edges wider eliminating said space you are hoping for. As far as getting him in space on Offense that is why I said slot WR.
D.Sproles was a feature back at KSU not a change of pace guy.

As a 3rd down back, it doesn't matter. Nobody wants him to be an every down player, but you move him around, get him a few carries, a few passes and utilize him in the return game. Of course we're not going to run him up the middle on third and goal.

Well for starters, last year at his HS he played BOTH RB and WR (or was a receiving back). His stats...

Rushing:
177 Att 1351 Yds 7.63 Avg 62 Lng 14 Tds

Receiving:
17 Rec 278 Yds 16.35 Avg 65 Lng 5 Tds

His total all-purpose yards was 1704 (1351 rushing, 278 receiving, 75 kick return)

He was obviously a RB first, but his coach used him in the passing game as well and looking at the average and TDs it went pretty well. It appears that his speed translated pretty well to the RB position as well. He's never going to be a big kid, and that's where his recruiting is being hurt. However, if you can get him up to probably 170 and keep most of his speed then you've got a weapon. Duff said it earlier, and I agree, we need to take a few of these kids in every class.

Getting a Tavon Austin or De'Anthony Thomas type player would be huge for our offense.

He's in high school - you really think he's going to stay at 150 his entire college career? If you don't believe someone can pack on 30-40 lbs their freshman year then I suggest you visit the Alpha Phi house next time you're in Boulder.

We should be recruiting some kids with verified speed/athleticism every year (aka "track stars"). The whole roster? Of course not. But the speed at the skill positions has been pretty bad for a while.

BTW, DAT was on of those "track stars" in high school.

We should be recruiting some kids with verified speed/athleticism every year (aka "track stars"). The whole roster? Of course not. But the speed at the skill positions has been pretty bad for a while.

Isn't he still doing track at Oregon?

Who are these guys that weigh 150lbs in HS then get hurt playing RB in college? I can't think of any names off hand.

I just have a feeling he is going to wait out for more offers

Thanks for changing the subject! I agree that Turner isn't committing to us any time soon unless other burners start showing interest. Even if he commits in the near future, I doubt it's rock solid.

One way for us to turn the program around is to take 1-2 chances a year on guys who have that electric speed, but don't have the prototypical size, or star rating. No reason to go overboard on this, but a couple recruits a year can work great. Electric speed rarely hurts a team. Now if they have academic or character issues then we have a different problem.

Exactly right, pate. We need to get speed (and no, that does not mean magical "football speed") on the roster and that will mean taking chances on undersized guys. The big guys with speed are the blue chip players.

He's not going to play as a 150 lb RB. He'll probably get into the 160s and if he still can't take a few tackles, he'll get redshirted. It's a risk to be sure, but one we need to take. We're not talking about a guy that will line up in the I-formation and run it up the middle a bunch of times.

Even at WR and Returner, he'll need to get his weight up over 170 for Pac-12 football. I'm not concerned about that. We're looking at a reported weight from his junior year in high school. Bring in the speed and agility if we can sign him. Then get him a bit stronger so an arm tackle won't bring him down in the open field.

With that logic we should only throw the ball to P-Rich 3-5 times per game because he's 6'1 170.

You are overestimating the role of size when it comes to durability. Look at Rodney Stewart, 5'6 175, and he held up pretty for 4 seasons. Rodney was a bit thicker than this guy is but you really think it will impact his durability so much that you can only have him out there for 3-5 plays per game?

With that logic we should only throw the ball to P-Rich 3-5 times per game because he's 6'1 170.

You are overestimating the role of size when it comes to durability. Look at Rodney Stewart, 5'6 175, and he held up pretty for 4 seasons. Rodney was a bit thicker than this guy is but you really think it will impact his durability so much that you can only have him out there for 3-5 plays per game?

Dexter McCluster measured in at 5'9" 172lbs at the combine and carried a pretty heavy load in the SEC as well. Given the fact Turner weighed 152 well over a year before he would report, I think it's pretty reasonable to think he can up to 170+, which is enough to give him a chance.

Yeah because it's not like having VERIFIED speed and elite agility on your roster is a good thing or anything...
His verified speed is a 4.51 at SPARQ. Just realized that. I thought it was under 4.4 but that was just a tweet. I'm done arguing about a guy who doesn't even have the elite speed to argue about. If he gets back under 4.4 I will be happy to pick this back up.

His verified speed is a 4.51 at SPARQ. Just realized that. I thought it was under 4.4 but that was just a tweet. I'm done arguing about a guy who doesn't even have the elite speed to argue about. If he gets back under 4.4 I will be happy to pick this back up.

4.51 laser timed 40 with a 4.01 shuttle time is pretty damn fast. I think you need to lower your expectations a bit buddy.

I might just be grumpy this morning, but people need to get smart about 40 times. You've been here long enough robbie -> STop this nonsense about thinking all these HS kids actually have sup 4.5 40's. take a look at the combine results for 40 times. a verified 4.51 is FAST.

I might just be grumpy this morning, but people need to get smart about 40 times. You've been here long enough robbie -> STop this nonsense about thinking all these HS kids actually have sup 4.5 40's. take a look at the combine results for 40 times. a verified 4.51 is FAST.

Indeed.

Everyone should check these lists out. Try and find all of the sub 4.5 kids.

http://www.studentsports.com/blog/2013/03/19/l-a-nike-football-training-camp-testing-results/

http://www.studentsports.com/blog/2013/05/23/oakland-nfsc-testing-results/

http://www.studentsports.com/blog/2013/03/15/los-angeles-nfsc-testing-results/

This is why people are saying VERIFIED a lot. If you follow recruiting enough, you know that measurables are often blown way out of proportion. 40 times that are hand held are often probably at least .2 faster than the kids really are. Rivals listing a 40 time of 4.5? Well, the kid probably runs in the 4.7 range. So, when we see that Turner tested with a laser verified 4.51 time, that's freaking fast.

4.51 laser is plenty fast. Besides, the guy isn't gonna stay at 150 whatever anyway. Plenty of room for players like him. Geez our fans bitch about speed, this guy can run but he isn't a big enough hs player. Weight u can gain, speed is different.

Back