What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 TX CB Jamarkese Williams (Signed to Incarnate Word)

'14 TX CB Jamarkese Williams

Spradlin spent time as an assistant under Head Coach Art Briles at the University of Houston as the offensive line coach for the Cougars from 2003-2006.

He's one of those guys.

This situation is far more concerning than losing Dotson. The coaches need to figure out a way to make things right with that coach and kid.

Or it's a coach who is trying force a school to offer a kid they otherwise wouldn't because no other offers are coming. We don't know the whole story here.

The biggest issue for me is this is just another indication of the perception of the program. We've got a HS coach trying to make a power play. I don't think you'd see that with the upper tier programs, who I can guarantee do far worse to players every year, but keep going back into the same schools.

If the kid had an actual offer from CU then I am sure the offers from CSU, Wyoming, Houston, San Jose St. and some of the other programs we compete with for recruits with measurables will be coming in shortly.

Maybe he's got a right to be pissed, but a coach taking his beef to Twitter is kind of juvenile.

Maybe he's got a right to be pissed, but a coach taking his beef to Twitter is kind of juvenile.

This happens all over the country every year, at least a handful per school. Coaches are trying to get their kids a scholarship and there's 5 offers out there for every spot - so do the Math.

Plus we tripped this kid here and pulling an offer could have been because the spot filled up or for a bunch of other reasons (which would help explain his lack of any other offers from any other program on earth).

Taking it to Twitter is sort of unique. I'd be pretty surprised if the coach hasn't gotten the "real story" by now from our staff rather than whatever he heard from his recruit.

Signed with University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio. FCS school in the Southland Conference.

This happens all over the country every year, at least a handful per school. Coaches are trying to get their kids a scholarship and there's 5 offers out there for every spot - so do the Math.

Plus we tripped this kid here and pulling an offer could have been because the spot filled up or for a bunch of other reasons (which would help explain his lack of any other offers from any other program on earth).

Taking it to Twitter is sort of unique. I'd be pretty surprised if the coach hasn't gotten the "real story" by now from our staff rather than whatever he heard from his recruit.

It may have been that the coach didn't have the real story as you said or it may have been that the coach was a part of the real story as you also mentioned trying to push a kid into a B5 offer. He may have done it because he really liked the kid and thought he was good enough to deserve the scholly, he may have also done it to raise his on stature. We all know that Texas HS football is highly competitive and that "recruiting" of players is a big part of that. The coach may have believed that getting kids into BCS level schools would help him interest more kids in his program.

Either way both he and the kid overestimated the value of the kid as a recruit. He may very well have been a potential back-up plan but overplayed his game.

I've seen a lot of accusations from time to time vs HCMM or Coach Walters.

Not being a man of their word won't hold any water with me. They are good peeps and we all give them the benefit of the doubt at this point.

The biggest issue for me is this is just another indication of the perception of the program. We've got a HS coach trying to make a power play. I don't think you'd see that with the upper tier programs, who I can guarantee do far worse to players every year, but keep going back into the same schools.
Good point. I'm sure MacIntyre did his best to be forthcoming about the situation but the HS coach decided it was worth the risk of burning a bridge.

Good point. I'm sure MacIntyre did his best to be forthcoming about the situation but the HS coach decided it was worth the risk of burning a bridge.

May be that the HS coach tried to play a big game of chicken and lost. What he may not have thought about is just like the HS coaches communicate with each other so do the college coaches.

If this HS coach did in fact try to pull a fast one it could very well come back to bite him next time he has a prospect who may be marginal at the BCS level. It the kid is a highly ranked recruit the college coaches will go after him anyways but if he is a maybe other schools may remember this and decide not to take the risk.

I have to wonder why we would even give the impression we were interested in someone who ultimately can't even get a scholly from a single D1 school. If it is remotely true that we were even considering offering him than I am really confused. HCMM seems to be all over the board. He finds hidden gems, he attempts to recruit against the Pac 12 for some kids and he sometimes dabbles in recruiting against FCS schools. Very strange.

I have to wonder why we would even give the impression we were interested in someone who ultimately can't even get a scholly from a single D1 school. If it is remotely true that we were even considering offering him than I am really confused. HCMM seems to be all over the board. He finds hidden gems, he attempts to recruit against the Pac 12 for some kids and he sometimes dabbles in recruiting against FCS schools. Very strange.
Reading between the lines, this kid was probably a backup plan (assuming for Witherspoon). He took a visit and was probably told by the coaches that he'd get an offer IF... and the IF never happened. Yet the kid meanwhile probably went back home and told his coach that he "got an offer." Then Coach ran with it, psyched for his kid.

That's my problem with HCMM. If he was a backup plan for us why isn't he enrolled at CSU, Wyoming, San Jose St. etc... right now. He wasn't even a backup plan for them and ended up going FCS.

Reactions: aik
That's my problem with HCMM. If he was a backup plan for us why isn't he enrolled at CSU, Wyoming, San Jose St. etc... right now. He wasn't even a backup plan for them and ended up going FCS.

You can't be serious with this. You're upset about a kid coming for an OV, even though he didn't have an offer and the staff found other options they liked better? There are plenty of things that could be cause for concern with recruiting, but giving due digilence to a kid as a backup plan is not one of them.

If CSU, Wyoming, San Jose St. etc... were so good at finding diamonds in the rough, they wouldn't be taking our backup plans. They'd find their own.

It seems as though you think that HCMM should only recruit guys that CSU, Wyoming or SJSU validates for him?

Should also be noted that while there are the occassional gold nugget finds such as Gillam (who no one besides SJSU wanted), there is also a likely reason this kid didn't get an offer on his visit. Other schools may have known something that we don't know.

Last edited:
If CSU, Wyoming, San Jose St. etc... were so good at finding diamonds in the rough, they wouldn't be taking our backup plans. They'd find their own.

It seems as though you think that HCMM should only recruit guys that CSU, Wyoming or SJSU validates for him?

Should also be noted that while there are the occassional gold nugget finds such as Gillam (who no one besides SJSU wanted), there is also a likely reason this kid didn't get an offer on his visit. Other schools may have known something that we don't know.

He also very well might have thouht he was to good for them and not given them any reason to keep pursuing him. Once he figured out that he wasn't going to the PAC it was to late as they already had their priorities set.

No one really knows what happened with this kid. He should have never been considered a backup plan for us if he couldn't at least go to the Mountain West Conference.

God No. I don't even want to be mentioned recruiting against CSU, Wyoming, and the rest of those guys. That's why I think our recruiting is pretty iffy.

I just find it funny that we nearly signed (and would have singed had we lost a DB) a guy who ended up at something called Incarnate Word. Had we I'm sure you bozos would be celebrating him as a "sleeper," meanwhile in his press conference Mac would rave about what a great player he is and how half the Big-12 wanted him after he committed to us, which falls in line with the narrative perpetuated about most of our commits.

Kid never had an offer. Who cares if he was brought in on a visit. One of the more inane threads in some time.

Back