What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 TX ILB Grant Watanabe (Signed to COLORADO)

He has added a lot more mass since his Junior year also. Before I watched that video I thought 225lbs was a generous listing for him, but now I think that he is actually that size which is a huge plus. That shows me that he's very dedicated. He will be more than big enough to play linebacker in the PAC12.

Hmmm interesting. I'm starting to come around to this pick-up. I think he is someone that will play early, but where? Gillam has MLB pretty much locked up for 3 years
You'd have to think the Will LB spot since Webb is done and Olugbode is the only real competition there.

I could see Gillam move outside in the base defense. Watanabe doesn't look like a guy you want covering TEs.

Don't think Wantanabe is a good fit at WILL.
Maybe not. Doesn't seem like a natural fit at Sam either. Actually backing up Gillam for the next couple years might be a good fit.

For that matter I think Gillam could be just as productive at Will as he is in the middle. But Watanabe would have to be extremely good right out of the gate to make it worth shuffling to get them both on the field.

We have to start thinking like a real program. Watanabe should redshirt and then have 4 years left, when Gillam has 2. We got to get to the point where we have a 2 deep. Plus Gillam does have some ability to play a lot of positions.

We have to start thinking like a real program. Watanabe should redshirt and then have 4 years left, when Gillam has 2. We got to get to the point where we have a 2 deep. Plus Gillam does have some ability to play a lot of positions.

The RS may not be to big an issue anyways. With the foot injury it may make more sense long term for him to RS.

After this it is important to have the best players on the field but at the same time we need to be in a position to have real competition for positions not be trying to get 11 competent players on the field at one time.

Watanabe just unloads on people. Very exciting to see and he (at least in his highlight vid) rarely makes an incorrect read. He allows the play to develop, and much like a RB - sees a hole and fills it with authority. I love how active he was in creating turnovers - I think I saw at least 5 in that video alone. Can't wait till he is in Boulder and wrecking fools in the PAC-12.

I'm going to start the Dat Nguyen comparisons. Not the fastest LB, not the biggest LB, but quickly reads, explodes and makes a boatload of plays.
You've got company in your assessment. I pulled this from a write up about the QB recruit that is headed to Texas. I think it says a lot about Watanabe that he stood out so much, that it warranted a mention in an article about a QB.

I have to mention Roberson's teammate, MLB Grant Watanabe. Polynesian monster. Fantastic instincts, hit like a mule, and was all over the field for four quarters. He was the game Defensive MVP. Dialed in and an absolute pleasure to watch. He's 5-10, 225 and headed to Colorado. I have no idea what his 40 time is, but he's fast in pads. He's the kind of three star that's tough to let get away. I saw a lot of Dat Nguyen in him. He showed more feel for the position in four quarters than some of our linebackers have shown in four years.

Super excited about this kid. My favorite recruit. Could see him staring on Special Teams for a few and then taking over the Mike.

You've got company in your assessment. I pulled this from a write up about the QB recruit that is headed to Texas. I think it says a lot about Watanabe that he stood out so much, that it warranted a mention in an article about a QB.
Spaceman, nice find. I assume that was a Texas recruiting article? Nice to see them complain TX didn't offer Watanabe!

Spaceman, nice find. I assume that was a Texas recruiting article? Nice to see them complain TX didn't offer Watanabe!
It was (they were updating info on their top QB recruit). So I thought it spoke volumes about Watanabe's play that they had to include that as well.

Re: '14 TX ILB Grant Watanabe (Verbal to COLORADO)

I wonder if he's grown in height, 240 at 5'11 is very heavy especially for a high school kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if we are going with the Dat Nguyen comparisons, identical.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Supposedly measured in at 5'10.75 on his visit as well. Obviously not ideal, but I had a feeling he was like 5'9 or something

I am going to hold back and just say "Welcome" because I don't want to over-hype.

Had no idea he has that kind of NFL pedigree in his blood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoping he comes in healthy and ready to go. Welcome Grant. He is gonna lay the wood to some folks.....

My vote for nickname is "Krazee-Eyez Killa"

i

Back