What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 AZ ATH Isaiah Oliver (Signed to COLORADO)

He can devote his time to both track and football.

God. Where to start with this one...

First of all, no, he can't. Not if he wants to be truly great at one or the other. Secondly, if he truly is an Olympic level athlete, then he'd be risking a lot by playing football. He's one torn ACL from being left home. Here's what he could do: He could redshirt for the 2015 football season. He could participate with the track team in the Spring, and then concentrate on the US Olympic trials, which probably will take place July 1-10 next year. The Olympics themselves take place August 5-21. He can come back and play football after that. It'll hurt his football career, but only a little.

God. Where to start with this one...

First of all, no, he can't. Not if he wants to be truly great at one or the other. Secondly, if he truly is an Olympic level athlete, then he'd be risking a lot by playing football. He's one torn ACL from being left home. Here's what he could do: He could redshirt for the 2015 football season. He could participate with the track team in the Spring, and then concentrate on the US Olympic trials, which probably will take place July 1-10 next year. The Olympics themselves take place August 5-21. He can come back and play football after that. It'll hurt his football career, but only a little.

Deanthony Thomas.

It was at this moment, that Sackman knew.... He ****ed up.

I think on a larger level, Sacky's point stands. Demps is hardly a good example of guy being great at both, he had to dedicate himself to track for awhile at the expense of his football career. RGIII gave up track to be a better football player. Xavier Carter did the opposite at LSU. Devon Allen seemingly had it working at Oregon before blowing out his knee (and that example is particlarly relevant since Allen attended Brophy). Marquise Goodwin made it work at Texas, but he might be the exception. Point is, it is damn hard to do both at an elite level (i.e, not just competing in both).

I went to the track meet, and it was a trip down memory lane when the announcer said the Buff's 100M record is still held by Cliff Branch.

I think on a larger level, Sacky's point stands. Demps is hardly a good example of guy being great at both, he had to dedicate himself to track for awhile at the expense of his football career. RGIII gave up track to be a better football player. Xavier Carter did the opposite at LSU. Devon Allen seemingly had it working at Oregon before blowing out his knee (and that example is particlarly relevant since Allen attended Brophy). Marquise Goodwin made it work at Texas, but he might be the exception. Point is, it is damn hard to do both at an elite level (i.e, not just competing in both).

Demps was on the Olympic track team and is playing in the NFL. How does that not qualify as being great at both? Demps' Olympic track career was short lived, but he remains in the NFL, despite being 5'7" 174 lbs. Oliver will have a chance at being great at both, so why not pursue both?

Demps was on the Olympic track team and is playing in the NFL. How does that not qualify as being great at both? Demps' Olympic track career was short lived, but he remains in the NFL, despite being 5'7" 174 lbs. Oliver will have a chance at being great at both, so why not pursue both?
The whole point is you have to make the choice at some point. Demps was a success in track at the highest level because he gave up football for a time. Now it is reversed. Whatever Oliver wants to do, he should do it. But there will need to be choices made in favor of one sport or the other along the way, that is unavoidable.

It's not an issue of being on both the track team and the football team. It wouldn't surprise me if he did that after the Olympics. If he truly is the current #1 in the US, he will have the opportunity to participate in the Olympics. You don't risk that kind of opportunity to play football. He can do both, but not if he wants to be an Olympian.

Duff's point is a good one, as is Sacky's.

The point isn't that a guy can't do both, plenty of athletes do. The point is that for those who do one or both sports normally get compromised.

At the HS level an athlete can dominate multiple sports simply on pure athletic ability, very few guys can do that playing college football and trying to compete in track at the Olympic level.

If Isaiah can do that then we do have a truly special athlete but I would have to see it before I believe he is one of the exceptions.

I could see him doing both for year or two to get an idea of which direction he wants to go in his future. This would mean though that he carries the injury risk that goes with football. Lots of football players are able to overcome losing a step or half a step due to injury, in track a half a step is the difference between elite and a non-qualifier.

At the same time running track would mean that he would miss out on spring practices and a lot of S&C time. Would this be enough to put him behind in football as well?

Eventually one of the other has to become his focus. He could still run track as a secondary sport like many football players have done in the past but would have to lower his expectations of results if he did.

Isaiah is fast but we aren't looking at another Cliff Branch, and that was 40 years ago when sports were different.

Oliver runs a 47+ sec. 400 meter, which is a very good time for high school. But the time wouldn't go too far for Olympic qualifying in the US, where top college sprinters are in the 45 second range. If he chases a decathlon medal, football is out of the question. I looked at his max prep page and didn't see much mention of the decathlon. 2 neighbor kids here ran 47 second 400 meter times in high school and got scholarships, one at BYU, one at Utah State. The 400 meter and 300 meter hurdles are gut check races and are for kids who have grit and can handle significant pain. He'll be exciting in black and gold. BTW, The kid who went to BYU left and became free safety for Utah State, then a GA at Wisconsin for Gary Anderson. He really missed football, especially the hitting and being part of a team.

Oliver runs a 47+ sec. 400 meter, which is a very good time for high school. But the time wouldn't go too far for Olympic qualifying in the US, where top college sprinters are in the 45 second range. If he chases a decathlon medal, football is out of the question. I looked at his max prep page and didn't see much mention of the decathlon. 2 neighbor kids here ran 47 second 400 meter times in high school and got scholarships, one at BYU, one at Utah State. The 400 meter and 300 meter hurdles are gut check races and are for kids who have grit and can handle significant pain. He'll be exciting in black and gold. BTW, The kid who went to BYU left and became free safety for Utah State, then a GA at Wisconsin for Gary Anderson. He really missed football, especially the hitting and being part of a team.

He now leads the nation in the 400M and 300M hurdles and is also leading AZ in the 100M hurdles. Speed and Strength has been missing up and down the recent CU roster. I am excited to see this speedster suit up. Isaiah on the field together with Shay Fields, will cause opposing defensive matchup problems. Great get for HCMM

He now leads the nation in the 400M and 300M hurdles and is also leading AZ in the 100M hurdles. Speed and Strength has been missing up and down the recent CU roster. I am excited to see this speedster suit up. Isaiah on the field together with Shay Fields, will cause opposing defensive matchup problems. Great get for HCMM

Isiah is supposed to be a defensive back at CU.

With that kind of speed he shouldn't have trouble covering the speedsters we face in the PAC.

Also might be interesting to see what he can do with the ball as a KR. If we can create some lanes (ignoring that Nienas is our ST coach.) wouldn't mind seeing him in open space with the ball.

New interview from Rivals:

Oliver plans to compete in the 110-meter hurdles and 300-meter hurdles initially at Colorado with hopes of competing in the decathlon later on.

"I feel like running track is the best off-season training you could possibly do for football," he said. "It keeps your body at a high level of training and it makes you a better athlete in terms of speed, explosiveness and quick reaction. But I know I am going to Colorado as a football player first and foremost. I can't wait."

https://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1754300

As I also just posted in the Olympic Sport Recruiting Thread, found a short interview from 3/28 with Mr. Olliver regarding his track plans- http://az.milesplit.com/articles/149511-isaiah-oliver-running-with-the-buffaloes#.VSLglPnF_ni .

As is predictable, sounds like he realizes he won't be able to seriously train in the decathlon while with the Buffs due to football time requirements. It also sounds like he has plans on doing a lot in the decathlon through this summer, so assume he'll be in GREAT shape when he arrives in Boulder and football starts practice in August.

Intriguing athlete. I wouldn't mind giving him a shot at WR, especially considering the need

Back