What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 CA ATH Donzale Roddie (Verbal to Boise State)

The problem is that you have to be academically eligible to play in high school. How the hell can he be eligible to play in all his games during the fall, yet be academically ineligible for a CU football scholarship in the winter?

NCAA has core requirements to be eligible to be a student athlete. Those are made up of performance in "core classes" along with performance on SAT/ACT. It is very possible to graduate from high school but not qualify academically for a college scholarship. That's why we have junior college sports programs.

Everyone's experiences are different.

I had a 1.7 GPA in high school. I guess I was lazy and dumb. I did get a 32 on my ACT though so maybe I'm not that dumb. Also I was raised by a single mom with a challenged little sister so I starting working at 14 to help pay the bills. I had many nights where I had to choose homework, working, or actually having a bit of a social life.

Now not everyone that does poorly in high school have these excuses and some people have these excuses and do much better than I did. But this painting with a broad brush is stupid.

Have more imagination people. There are so, so, SO many ways to screw up - or just be unlucky - in this thing we call life.

NCAA has core requirements to be eligible to be a student athlete. Those are made up of performance in "core classes" along with performance on SAT/ACT. It is very possible to graduate from high school but not qualify academically for a college scholarship. That's why we have junior college sports programs.

Point taken. Very frustrating for Buff fans as many had him as a strong Buff lean and could have been a great addition to our WR corps. Hopefully he gets his s*** together in JUCO (if that's the route he takes) and we pursue him down the road.

Everyone's experiences are different.

I had a 1.7 GPA in high school. I guess I was lazy and dumb. I did get a 32 on my ACT though so maybe I'm not that dumb. Also I was raised by a single mom with a challenged little sister so I starting working at 14 to help pay the bills. I had many nights where I had to choose homework, working, or actually having a bit of a social life.

Now not everyone that does poorly in high school have these excuses and some people have these excuses and do much better than I did. But this painting with a broad brush is stupid.

I am with you. I had a poor GPA. I was raised on a dairy and Dad was in a very bad truck accident May of my 8th grade year. Bad enough that the doctors told us not to race to the hospital because he would be gone before we got there. The next two years I was getting up and milking cows (around 120), feeding them, cleaning the barn....before breakfast and school. After school I got to come home and do another 4 hours of work. Summers were plowing, planting and so on. After two years Dad was better and I was suddenly honor roll and able to have the time to study and play sports. But could not catch up enough to qualify for CU or get a scholly. Life is what it is, I am certainly not an ignorant person and did receive scholarships into lower level schools. However, I didn't know what I wanted to do, just that I DIDN'T want to run a dairy!

To an outsider I would be looked at as an underachiever perhaps, but I just had to find my way with how life happened. I hope the best for Roddie, and that he is able to get good advice so that he can move back into our program, or another one after JUCO time.

I am with you. I had a poor GPA. I was raised on a dairy and Dad was in a very bad truck accident May of my 8th grade year. Bad enough that the doctors told us not to race to the hospital because he would be gone before we got there. The next two years I was getting up and milking cows (around 120), feeding them, cleaning the barn....before breakfast and school. After school I got to come home and do another 4 hours of work. Summers were plowing, planting and so on. After two years Dad was better and I was suddenly honor roll and able to have the time to study and play sports. But could not catch up enough to qualify for CU or get a scholly. Life is what it is, I am certainly not an ignorant person and did receive scholarships into lower level schools. However, I didn't know what I wanted to do, just that I DIDN'T want to run a dairy!

To an outsider I would be looked at as an underachiever perhaps, but I just had to find my way with how life happened. I hope the best for Roddie, and that he is able to get good advice so that he can move back into our program, or another one after JUCO time.
No one works harder than a dairy farmer.

Doesn't CU also have math and foreign language requirements? Could just be a matter of not having the right classes?

Thanks for even knowing that. My Dad worked his ass off 16 plus hours a day for 40 years doing that. Cows give you no days off ever.

Brutal life. My wife has an uncle who was a dairy farmer. His first day off in like 20 years was to come to our wedding. He finally had kids old enough to run the farm for 3 days without him.

Brutal life. My wife has an uncle who was a dairy farmer. His first day off in like 20 years was to come to our wedding. He finally had kids old enough to run the farm for 3 days without him.

great grandpa, grandpa and dad all farmers who worked their ass's off... all did fine financially but all but my dad never even made it out of highschool... dad was a mid round pick by the red sox...went back to the farm to work instead

I think you have to have 3 foreign languages just to qualify for CU now? Not many HS athletes taking 3 foreign language credits.

I think you have to have 3 foreign languages just to qualify for CU now? Not many HS athletes taking 3 foreign language credits.

If you haven't completed a third level of a language, you have to at CU. It isn't a requirement for admission if I remember correctly.

If you haven't completed a third level of a language, you have to at CU. It isn't a requirement for admission if I remember correctly.

Some states don't required any foreign language in HS, eliminating those kids right there.

Some states don't required any foreign language in HS, eliminating those kids right there.

To clarify, when I was applying to CU, almost ten years ago now, you didn't necessarily need a foreign language. If you didn't complete a third level in high school though, you would have to complete all classes up to a third level at CU and I'm not sure those credits at CU would count towards graduation, maybe as an elective. It wouldn't exclude, but it could discourage. A current student could correct me if I'm wrong.

It sucks to lose out on Roddie for whatever reason.

Maybe, but I met a lot of kids who had to take multiple language classes to graduate. I doubt we aren't taking Roddie because of a foreign language.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MAPS Requirements for CU. LINK

2dvqsfq.png

MAPS Requirements for CU. LINK

2dvqsfq.png

You can still be admitted without fulfilling all of the MAPS requirements:

You may be admitted to CU-Boulder even though you have not met all MAPS requirements. If that is the case, you will be required to complete the appropriate MAPS courses once you are enrolled, and the credits may be applied toward graduation. You may also complete missing MAPS course work in high school, at other colleges or universities, or through approved credit-by-examination programs. MAPS requirements not completed in high school or college are factored into the admission decision. Students who complete 50 percent or more of their secondary schooling and/or graduate from a non-U.S. system are exempt from MAPS.

They still have MAPS all these years later. :lol: The geography requirement got most people. I remember taking these ridiculously easy A through J multiple choice tests in a Geography class taught by this "teen heartthrob" prof named Brock that all the frosh coeds loved.

I thought that CU had backed off Roddie. Maybe not.

Yeah, I thought you guys had too and in the process made BSU the frontrunner. (BSU has won head-to-head recruiting matchups with Utah consistently both before and after they joined the Pac-12) On our side of the fence, our new head coach Bryan Harsin tweets out a "Go Broncos!" whenever we get a new commit.

At the moment we have at least three and possibly four "secret" commits who want to do the ceremony thing on or around signing day. This makes it difficult to know whether we're still on Roddie either because we don't know what positions those secret commits are at.

I guess signing day will have some surprises this year.

The good ol silent commits!

I know how ridiculous my post sounds. It sounds like I'm hedging and making excuses in case BSU ends up losing out on Roddie to you guys or Utah. But I am being honest that Harsin's "Go Broncos" tweets whenever there's a new commit (and only then) have been clockwork. It's kind of one of his things.

Not knowing who those guys are is both amusing, fun, and frustrating all at the same time.

Back when all schools were after Roddie heavy, he was a Colorado lean. A HEAVY Colorado lean. Got no clue where he's at with his recruitment now with the unknown variables of his academic status, which school has or has not backed off, or whatever.

I guess this is part of what makes the process fun for those of us anal enough to actually follow college recruiting.

Last edited:
I know how ridiculous my post sounds. It sounds like I'm hedging and making excuses in case BSU ends up losing out on Roddie to you guys or Utah. But I am being honest that Harsin's "Go Broncos" tweets whenever there's a new commit (and only then) have been clockwork. It's kind of one of his things.

Not knowing who those guys are is both amusing, fun, and frustrating all at the same time.

Back when all schools were after Roddie heavy, he was a Colorado lean. A HEAVY Colorado lean. Got no clue where he's at with his recruitment now with the unknown variables of his academic status, which school has or has not backed off, or whatever.

I guess this is part of what makes the process fun for those of us anal enough to actually follow college recruiting.

I think it was the Stanford fans that renamed "silent verbals" as "violent gerbils"... i.e., mythical creatures that exist only in our imaginations. I think that moniker may also apply to "Stanford fans", but I digress. :lol:

(Not disputing you, just thought that was funny.)

I think it was the Stanford fans that renamed "silent verbals" as "violent gerbils"... i.e., mythical creatures that exist only in our imaginations. I think that moniker may also apply to "Stanford fans", but I digress. :lol:

(Not disputing you, just thought that was funny.)

It IS funny and I don't mind the little ribbing. Like I said, I know how it sounds and taking a bit of grief is deserved.

:lol: No worries. I got a little worn out during the Hawkins era with a "silent commit".

Back