What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 CO PG Austin Conway (Verbal to Wyoming)

Interesting how things change over almost a year. Why is everyone so hesitant on him right now?

Collier's officially in the fold, so PG isn't the most pressing need on the team. And, as 'nik said, Conway seemed to plateau a little bit last summer and now looks like he's more likely a 20 mpg change of pace guard than a true lead guard. That's not bad, but most are setting their sights higher for 2015,

The higher 15 are not always truly higher. Conway has a pretty good upside here and he could end up higher than a lot of those kids. Or not. Plus, wouldn't hurt us for his buddy one class below.

And the BB recruiting board has officially gone the way of the FB board. Where's the “Does Allbuffs suck?" thread?

I still want Conway playing hoops here. Bank Spencer's scholarship unless we absolutely find someone who will come in and help immediately like a graduate transfer. What Tad did last May with a true freshman did not end up counting as anything remotely resembling immediate help and should be discouraged from happening again. Then we have that scholly free for Conway. The pace he would bring off the bench would be a real treat to watch at the Keg and if he is a top 5 player in the state for his class we should be continuing to talk to him period.

I still want Conway playing hoops here. Bank Spencer's scholarship unless we absolutely find someone who will come in and help immediately like a graduate transfer. What Tad did last May with a true freshman did not end up counting as anything remotely resembling immediate help and should be discouraged from happening again. Then we have that scholly free for Conway. The pace he would bring off the bench would be a real treat to watch at the Keg and if he is a top 5 player in the state for his class we should be continuing to talk to him period.

The upside with Conway is that he'd be able to push pace and attack the way we see the VCU guards play. There's definitely a strong argument for Conway to be a guy the Buffs bring in. Based on some of the recruiting interest, it also sounds like he'd bring some cerebral play to go along with the athleticism.

Now that he has worked out the issues with his mechanics on his shot (it's now an actual jump shot released at a high point), I'm more positive on him that I was last year. It's a risk, though, due to the height limitations.

ESPN Analyst
Updated 04/16/2014

Strengths:
Conway is a lightening quick point guard who gets great lift on his shot and he can find open shooters. He is a blur in the open court and has the bounce to finish in traffic despite his size. He can penetrate into the teeth of the defense and he does a nice job of kicking it out to open shooters. His handle is tight and his ability to break down defenders is uncanny. In the high screen roll he can deliver the pass or rise up behind the screen and nail the jump shot.

Weaknesses:
Conway doesn't possess ideal size for the next level despite his outstanding athleticism. In addition, he needs to learn to be a game manager as his decision making can be erratic at times. There are times he throws high-risk passes that have no chance of penetrating the defense. In addition, he over-handles the ball instead of advancing it to open teammates.

Bottom Line:
Despite being a high-major football prospect, Conway wants to be a point guard at that level and the tools are there for that to happen.

The higher 15 are not always truly higher. Conway has a pretty good upside here and he could end up higher than a lot of those kids. Or not. Plus, wouldn't hurt us for his buddy one class below.

It's definitely always a fluid situation, but Conway isn't atop their board. Right now, I don't know that I'd put him in their top 8.

It's definitely always a fluid situation, but Conway isn't atop their board. Right now, I don't know that I'd put him in their top 8.

2015 should blow up as a class but I still think you gotta take the best Colorado kid in every year or so. Conway would be a nice throw in. When I saw him, he had that 'mean' streak you look for.

2015 should blow up as a class but I still think you gotta take the best Colorado kid in every year or so. Conway would be a nice throw in. When I saw him, he had that 'mean' streak you look for.
Not sure I agree with this. Basketball isn't like football and this is a great way to become very mediocre. I understand locking the state down, but one mediocre recruit every year will eventually bring the program down. Not saying that will happen with the best CO recruit every year, but not sure this is a great strategy.

Not sure I agree with this. Basketball isn't like football and this is a great way to become very mediocre. I understand locking the state down, but one mediocre recruit every year will eventually bring the program down. Not saying that will happen with the best CO recruit every year, but not sure this is a great strategy.

Agree with what you are saying here.

Football is different because you are looking at 20-25 recruits a year. You can take a kid who may or may not develop and improve your team and not kill the class. In BB with 1-4 recruits per year the ability to absorb a miss is a lot lower and has a much bigger impact on the program.

Need to make big pushes for guys like Bennie Boatwright, Jeremy Hempsley and Cameron Walker before we consider adding guys like Conway.

I'm not sure how many different ways Will has to say it before some of you guys get it...

I'm not sure how many different ways Will has to say it before some of you guys get it...

:lol:

Maybe this will help.

Think of it like the NBA draft. In basketball, there are some guys who are clearly at another level when we do evaluations. At 16 years old, for example, LeBron could have been an NBA all-star. It's different than football.

What some people are trying to tell you is that Conway is a nice player, but he'd be like an undrafted free agent to develop in the D-League while CU is still in on its A-list guys who are lottery picks on this relative scale along with B-list guys who are late first / early 2nd types. The prospects for 2015 that CU has legit interest from are particularly good.

It's an adjustment for us as fans. Because just a few years ago Conway would have been a top target and maybe the most realistic 3* with good other offers that CU would be able to attract. CU built a program with players like Conway. I like Conway. What's changed is that CU isn't competing with Wyoming for basketball prospects any more.

:lol:

Maybe this will help.

Think of it like the NBA draft. In basketball, there are some guys who are clearly at another level when we do evaluations. At 16 years old, for example, LeBron could have been an NBA all-star. It's different than football.

What some people are trying to tell you is that Conway is a nice player, but he'd be like an undrafted free agent to develop in the D-League while CU is still in on its A-list guys who are lottery picks on this relative scale along with B-list guys who are late first / early 2nd types. The prospects for 2015 that CU has legit interest from are particularly good.

It's an adjustment for us as fans. Because just a few years ago Conway would have been a top target and maybe the most realistic 3* with good other offers that CU would be able to attract. CU built a program with players like Conway. I like Conway. What's changed is that CU isn't competing with Wyoming for basketball prospects any more.

Bit of hyperbole there. LeBron was pretty skinny at 16 & was not developed enough physically to be an NBA All-Star. Lebron at 16 -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29SDllawaw8

Disappointed that the prospect of getting Conway on a fb schollie seems to have passed. That said, Tad has given scholarships to guards with lower ceilings than Conway

A bit of hyperbole on LeBron. Maybe. He did average like 20/5/5 the year he entered the NBA at 18.

A bit of hyperbole on LeBron. Maybe. He did average like 20/5/5 the year he entered the NBA at 18.

The physical difference between Lebron's body at 18 vs 16--let alone anyone's--is huge. Alec Burks wouldn't have been the B12 Freshman of the year if he entered CU at 17 when he was 6'2. Dinwiddie is another example of a player who had a huge growth spurt late in his teens that helped him immensely. Lebron was amazing from game 1 in the NBA at 18--wouldn't have been quite like that if he came in at 16. But this has nothing to do with Conway

The physical difference between Lebron's body at 18 vs 16--let alone anyone's--is huge. Alec Burks wouldn't have been the B12 Freshman of the year if he entered CU at 17 when he was 6'2. Dinwiddie is another example of a player who had a huge growth spurt late in his teens that helped him immensely. Lebron was amazing from game 1 in the NBA at 18--wouldn't have been quite like that if he came in at 16. But this has nothing to do with Conway

Nothing to do with Conway.

With LeBron, I said "could have", not "would have". Maybe. We'll never know. Good bet he would have been a high lottery pick after his soph year, though. Dude's an absolute freak.

Nothing to do with Conway.

With LeBron, I said "could have", not "would have". Maybe. We'll never know. Good bet he would have been a high lottery pick after his soph year, though. Dude's an absolute freak.
LeBron was a first round lock by the time he was about 14. And I think you're right; even as a 16 year old, he would've been one of the most pro-ready kids we've ever seen come out of the HS ranks.

Disappointed that the prospect of getting Conway on a fb schollie seems to have passed. That said, Tad has given scholarships to guards with lower ceilings than Conway

Assume you are referring to Stalzer and King. They were both late period signees. If we have a scholarship available due to attrition or not filling both schollies, Conway would be a great late signee if available. I'd be very surprised if one of our two available scholarships were used to offer him in the early period, however.

I'd love to see Austin here. I think he'd be a great fit. Just not seeing it with one of our two precious scholarships, given who is currently on the radar.

Assume you are referring to Stalzer and King. They were both late period signees. If we have a scholarship available due to attrition or not filling both schollies, Conway would be a great late signee if available. I'd be very surprised if one of our two available scholarships were used to offer him in the early period, however.

I'd love to see Austin here. I think he'd be a great fit. Just not seeing it with one of our two precious scholarships, given who is currently on the radar.

In terms of lower relative ceiling, I was referring to Stalzer and Talton. King's ceiling is much higher as he's the only one of the three who had other high major programs offering him, but he should've been redshirted. Obviously I'm on your side w/r/t precious scholarships (i.e. wish Conway could come on fb schollie).

LeBron was a first round lock by the time he was about 14. And I think you're right; even as a 16 year old, he would've been one of the most pro-ready kids we've ever seen come out of the HS ranks.

If you mean it was clear that he was a lock for a future 1st rd at 14 then sure, but if you mean he would've been taken 1st rd as a 14 yr old then that's insane hyperbole. Lebron was selected to his 1st All-Star game as a 20 year old. He had a great rookie year, but he was scrawny at 16 and wouldn't have won the ROY in the '01-'02 season let alone been able to handle an 82 game season

Last edited:
In terms of lower relative ceiling, I was referring to Stalzer and Talton. King's ceiling is much higher as he's the only one of the three who had other high major programs offering him, but he should've been redshirted. Obviously I'm on your side w/r/t precious scholarships (i.e. wish Conway could come on fb schollie).

If you mean it was clear that he was a lock for a future 1st rd at 14 then sure, but if you mean he would've been taken 1st rd as a 14 yr old then that's insane hyperbole. Lebron was selected to his 1st All-Star game as a 20 year old. He had a great rookie year, but he was scrawny at 16 and wouldn't have won the ROY in the '01-'02 season let alone been able to handle an 82 game season

Lulz. I think you're missing the forest for the trees here, brother.

You're replying to two separate subjects with one unclarified blanket statement. Nice.

I'm pretty sure you know which of the two I was referring to. Nik's point is that we have better players and/or better fits still on the board. Not whether LeBron would've been the first overall pick at age 15.5. Nice.

I'm pretty sure you know which of the two I was referring to. Nik's point is that we have better players and/or better fits still on the board. Not whether LeBron would've been the first overall pick at age 15.5. Nice.

I avoid assumptions and you can edit quotes. I don't need you to annotate Nik's point. Fact is Lebron wasn't an all-star until his 2nd season. Doesn't matter if that was the crux of what Nik was saying or not, it was hyperbole. Others chose to continue the Lebron convo after I said that. It was fun for like a minute then it died & you're just poking at it. So back to Conway...

I hope he goes to Wyoming. I'd love to watch the kid there and I know they've wanted him for a long time.

Each school has definite advantages over the others. Wyoming is closer to home, and his family will be able to see him a lot. Indiana is a basketball blueblood, and he'll be on TV a lot and play in a basketball crazy area. Rice is, academically, far superior to the other two, and it's also in Houston, which is a lot more exciting than Bloomington or Laramie.

Back