1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'15 JC Recruiting

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by BuffTuff, Nov 4, 2014.

1. BuffTuff

BuffTuff New Member

New guy here. Does anyone have a good idea of JCs we are after other than Potter and Carrell? My 2 cents is we (realistic Buff fans) all thought this was a 4-5 win team this year and the '15 team was gonna break out and get to a bowl game. I have seen some ppl saying they are pushing the breakout year back to '16. I think if we can pull 4-5 Jucos and get 2 D starters (at LB and D line) we could improve the D just enough to get a bowl game next year if some things go our way.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Rivals show 32 JUCO prospects with CU interest.

7 JUCO prospects (5 uncommitted) with CU offers.

Edit: The database didn't let me link the search results directly, but I believe that the database is public.

3. BuffTuff

BuffTuff New Member

Thanks Nik. When I was looking at the 24/7 list I could see a lot of guys with multiple lower level P5 offers we could get in on. (Sad I just had to type that) but I know there is a lot more that goes on with Jucos (credits, class types ...ect) Crucial if we are going to take 2 & 3 star developmental types that we actually allow them time to develop by filling the 2-deep

4. Buffnik

It's rare that a JUCO is going to be an impact guy. I don't look at them that way.

Rather, I'm looking at where the 2-deep could use more competition and a veteran addition to the mix.

We're in need of some fillers at a few key spots.

It would be great to find a WR for our empty junior class.

It would be great to find a LB (ideally a sophomore in 2015) to add depth and competition.

It would be great to find a soph or junior TE so we don't have to 100% rely on freshmen behind Irwin.

It would be great if we could find a junior DT so there wasn't that gap between Solis/Tupou and Lopez.

Other positions would benefit from an impact guy, of course, but those are positions where a 2-deep addition would be wonderful to see. Positions like RB or LT (to move Irwin inside to LG) would be in the "only take a JUCO if he's a game changer" category, imho.

5. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

What are your thoughts on changing your name to BuffTuffTiger?

6. Buffnik

My chain of thought went like this. BuffTuff... Tuff Shed... Nederland Frozen Dead Guy... hey, we really could use a "FrozenDeadGuy" on this board.

7. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Embrace it BuffTuff.

8. bigbuff44

bigbuff44 Well-Known Member

Trey Dunkelberger 6'5" 245 lb. TE would be perfect. 3 for 3 guy out CA.

9. Bigbuffs

Bigbuffs Member

That name is an obvious yes

10. Buffnik

Looks like Louisville is going after him hard to get him away from Akron. I'd love to see the Buffs get in on him. He could help us.

11. bigbuff44

bigbuff44 Well-Known Member

He is looking for an opportunity to catch the ball. On his twitter he said USF and Louisville were coming to see him.

12. BuffTuff

BuffTuff New Member

Under further review...

13. BuffTuff

BuffTuff New Member

Agreed, unfortunatley for us I don't think it would take an "impact guy" to crack our starting lineup at most spots on D. What are your thoughts on targeting Jucos that could provide slightly better to equal play allowing current players to utilize currently unused redshirts? (Al la Yuri Wright or Devin Ross) Without doing the research that strategy could potentially throw class balance way out of whack but dear god we are 3-4 competent defenders from winning games against the middle if the PAC 12. IMHO

14. Buffnik

I would say that winning and then graduating a big class wouldn't be the worst thing for CU right now. Important thing is to win in order to drive a recruiting bump.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that CU is capable of going heavily into the JUCO ranks. 2 or 3 in a class is about all we can hope for.

15. BuffTuff

BuffTuff New Member

Ummm not sure I want to already be known as "the dead guy". Username will be changed to more appropriately fit in with the crowd.

Buffnik likes this.
  16. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Devin Ross is redshirting right now, no? And Yuri definitely redshirted last year.

17. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

DBT?

18. BuffTuff

BuffTuff New Member

Correct. Jimmie Gilbert could benefit from a redshirt in '15. Guys a stick figure.

19. o_robbie

o_robbie I don't think before I post

We could really use a few JUCO's who have mature bodies to take on the grind of a college season. I feel like we are starting to wear down on D because we are playing guys who are 10 percent to small for there position. JUCO's won't be impact guys for the most part at CU because we can't win those recruiting battles. We can offer playing time for the next tier guys and that is who we should be targeting.

20. pcbuff

pcbuff Club Member Club Member

The trend of the last decade has been to put in our great new recruits early. This has resulted in them being up against seniors that have built 30 #'s of muscle over several years and then they get hurt. So yes, I also see strategic use of JC's as integral to rebuilding CU.

21. gobuffs58

gobuffs58 Well-Known Member

agree...must fill needs with jc's every year

22. Buffnik

What I wouldn't give for a few Shaun Mohler types for the 2015 season.

23. BuffTuff

BuffTuff New Member

Mohler was exactly the guy I was thinking about when I started the thread. If memory serves, he came in and provided solid PT as a JR and started a few games as a SR the following year. Not a game changer but solid. 2-3 guys in the front 7 and 1-2 in the D Backfield (wishful thinking I know) and we are all set for a mid level PAC 12 quality defense. That is all I am hoping for until recruiting improves.

Side note: Did any of you see that Addison is down to 207 lbs? I like Addison as our Mike but how can we have a guy playing there that is 40-50 lbs under weight? Why does our guy look like a shorter version of Sean Bradley and every other team's Mike resembles the Hulk?

24. Buffnik

As I said in the Rivals thread, Gillam is looking to get up to 230. Dizon, who was about 4 inches shorter than Gillam (smaller frame), played at 220. Think about that. Then we've got KO playing at under 210. This year, our DEs are playing at around 230 lbs. We have half our DT rotation playing at 250-265.

How much of a difference does it make in 2015 for our front 7 has DTs at a minimum of 270, our DEs at a minimum of 245 and our LBs at a minimum of 220?

We'll see our Buffs hold up so much better at the point of attack and tackling will improve so much. Right now, much of our front 7 look like middleweights trying to box in the heavyweight division.

25. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

Big factor contributing to our woeful rush defense, maybe?

26. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

We might see them hold up better. Not many front seven players pass the eye test.

27. Buffnik

With how close we've been to winning this year, just "holding up" might be the difference.

We're not going to have a dominant defense. It may not even be that good. But if we see a defense that isn't giving a collapsed edge on outside zone runs / stretch plays, see our LBs able to get off of blocks, stop seeing DTs like Parker put on skates and see RBs go down when a defender is in position to make a tackle... that's huge incremental improvement. If we have a defense that doesn't get rolled over from getting worn down every time the opponent is able to progress beyond a 3 & out... that's a huge incremental improvement.

I don't think we'll be great next year as a team. I do think, though, that we'll see incremental improvement across the board since we don't lose much. And I also think that we may never see a schedule with so many talented, veteran QBs opposing us.

This is giving me hope. Not "Pac-12 Championship" hope, but a trip to Sun Bowl is a reasonable expectation.

28. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Hey! I'm not frozen!

29. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Let's hope what Nik is saying happens. I'm pretty skeptical on defensive improvements.

30. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

We get our best players back from injury, mostly everyone comes back. But your skeptical on improvement.