What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 TX QB Chason Virgil (Verbal to Fresno State)

So, do we actually have a shot at this guy? Haven't been following it closely, but if he was choosing between CU and MissSt in May, does he still hold us in that high of regard? 2-9 probably doesn't help our cause, but he could put up video game numbers with HCMM and Lindgren.

So, do we actually have a shot at this guy? Haven't been following it closely, but if he was choosing between CU and MissSt in May, does he still hold us in that high of regard? 2-9 probably doesn't help our cause, but he could put up video game numbers with HCMM and Lindgren.

He still has at least 10 other offers listed, so no telling where he will end up.
http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Chason-Virgil-20460/RecruitInterests
Scout story has few details: http://recruiting.scout.com/story/1483200-chason-virgil-s-recruitment-back-open

What I am wondering, behind the scenes, is if any schools of interest are able to get him admitted in time for January? The timing of the scholly pull/decommitment makes it important that wherever he wants to go, is able to get him through admissions in time to be enrolled for spring. THAT may be what is being discussed quietly.
But any school who didn't use all current year schollys could count him for 2014 if he gets enrolled quickly, ... at least I think so ...

He still has at least 10 other offers listed, so no telling where he will end up.
http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Chason-Virgil-20460/RecruitInterests
Scout story has few details: http://recruiting.scout.com/story/1483200-chason-virgil-s-recruitment-back-open

What I am wondering, behind the scenes, is if any schools of interest are able to get him admitted in time for January? The timing of the scholly pull/decommitment makes it important that wherever he wants to go, is able to get him through admissions in time to be enrolled for spring. THAT may be what is being discussed quietly.
But any school who didn't use all current year schollys could count him for 2014 if he gets enrolled quickly, ... at least I think so ...
Really doubt most those offers are still available

The short answer: no one really knows right now. Not sure Virgil himself knows yet.

Really doubt most those offers are still available
Yeah, with Chason now enrolling for the spring semester, he doesn't have a ton of options. Also, most of those same Schools already have an elite QB committed. We had better be all over this and find any way possible to get him in.

Yeah, with Chason now enrolling for the spring semester, he doesn't have a ton of options. Also, most of those same Schools already have an elite QB committed. We had better be all over this and find any way possible to get him in.

This would be an amazing pick up. *fingers crossed*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flawed logic, IMO. If someone breaks his word, the dishonor is on him. I think this Vigil case is really rare. To me, anyway, a commitment is akin to giving your word and you should honor that commitment. There has to be a level of trust between both parties or the system breaks down.
Chason's honor is not the problem -- and the case isn't that rare. Mississippi State is doing well this year, top four teams. And they currently have 30 schollies committed out the 25 new scholarships that are allowed each year. Oh, wait. Yeah, there are another 4-5 guys about to get some awkward communication from MSU.
A few will say, gray shirt, no problem. But a kid who was pressured to graduate early and STILL has the offer yanked, that sucks and I hope MSU's reputation pays the price.

While i agree with the premise, Chason didn't make any visits after he committed to MSU, IIRC. Maybe he did and we never heard about it because it wasn't a trip to CU.

That wasn't my point - it was a quote saying in general we should not be so tough on recruits who keep options open, because here's an example of a kid who did everything by the book (committed early, didn't take visits, never waivered in commitment) and got screwed as a result. So when a kid keeps eyes open, we need to remember that they are probably at the mercy of some coach who doesn't give a damn about them personally --- unless they end up on his team. Until signing day, a kid is just a number.

Colorado not listed in this Nov. 25 update, taking a visit to Louisville.

Rivals (free content):
bullet.gif
Mississippi State has had a banner season, but this past week, it lost in Texas. Coach Dan Mullen and his staff are taking a lot of heat after informing West Mesquite head coach Jeff Neill they wanted his quarterback, Chason Virgil, to grayshirt. Virgil, who committed to Mississippi State in May, was planning to enroll in January. The news was less than well-received by both player and coach, but it did not take long for other college programs to take interest. Virgil is taking an official visit to Louisville this weekend, Bowling Green, Indiana, and Utah have become options and Oklahoma and TCU could also be possibilities.

Colorado not listed in this Nov. 25 update, taking a visit to Louisville.

Rivals (free content):
bullet.gif
Mississippi State has had a banner season, but this past week, it lost in Texas. Coach Dan Mullen and his staff are taking a lot of heat after informing West Mesquite head coach Jeff Neill they wanted his quarterback, Chason Virgil, to grayshirt. Virgil, who committed to Mississippi State in May, was planning to enroll in January. The news was less than well-received by both player and coach, but it did not take long for other college programs to take interest. Virgil is taking an official visit to Louisville this weekend, Bowling Green, Indiana, and Utah have become options and Oklahoma and TCU could also be possibilities.

I was about to post this also. Who knows what we will do after this last game. I figure things will pick up on the recruiting front quickly after Saturdays game.

How do we go from top two to not even in the conversation?

Frustrating.

Maybe the staff feels like they've already got their guy in Montez. I'd like to see them get involved and have to think if we did we'd be back in the mix, but the staff might see it differently.

Frustrating.

Ummm, perception is (based on record) we suck worse now than we did when we were originally in the conversation, so he doesn't want to talk to us?

Frustrating.

I would assume we hung up on the conversation when he committed. A good recruiter wouldn't waste time on a committed player to a school which might play for the national championship, but a brilliant recruiter keeps in touch and keeps juggling all the options, I guess. Either way, we were an option before this season, but not during.
Pretty sure offering "early playing time" isn't enough.

I'm gonna guess the staff told Montez they were only taking 1 QB and that he is their guy.

I know we've been talking to Bartlett about getting a shot at QB. But I don't believe we were ever going to bring in two true HS QBs in this class. Sure Adam will find out shortly what's going on.

I know we've been talking to Bartlett about getting a shot at QB. But I don't believe we were ever going to bring in two true HS QBs in this class. Sure Adam will find out shortly what's going on.

Taking Virgil and Montez makes too much sense to me, so I'm sure it won't happen. Take both, let them fight it out like Wittek and Kessler did at USC, loser transfers or becomes a TE (Montez).

I'm gonna guess the staff told Montez they were only taking 1 QB and that he is their guy.

OK. It's fine to tell him that, but when you are given the opportunity to sign a kid who is, by most accounts, a better prospect, you do it. You then go to Montez and tell him that you will honor his scholarship, but that in the interest of the program, you felt that you needed to also take another quarterback. That's being honest and respectful of your commitment to him. I see nothing wrong with taking that approach.

Chason's honor is not the problem -- and the case isn't that rare. Mississippi State is doing well this year, top four teams. And they currently have 30 schollies committed out the 25 new scholarships that are allowed each year. Oh, wait. Yeah, there are another 4-5 guys about to get some awkward communication from MSU.
A few will say, gray shirt, no problem. But a kid who was pressured to graduate early and STILL has the offer yanked, that sucks and I hope MSU's reputation pays the price.
I'm not questioning Chason's honor whatsoever. He got the shaft. But your point was that since coaches can screw a kid over, recruits should feel free to keep visiting other schools after giving a verbal commitment. That is what I disagree with. I think what MSU did to him is abhorrent but it doesn't justify recruits saying, "Yeah, coach, I'm giving you my verbal commitment, but, you know what, I'm going to keep looking at other schools." Then the coach will say, "That's fine. However, if we find a recruit to take your place, we will." At that point, what is the point of a commitment?

But your point was that since coaches can screw a kid over, recruits should feel free to keep visiting other schools after giving a verbal commitment.

Not my point. I was quoting a sports reporter who tweeted that, just something to think about.
On related note, I DO think that if a kid comes to a school under one coaching staff and the coach asks a kid to leave because he doesn't "fit the system", there ought to be some flexibility for the player with the NCAA. I'm thinking today about Ryan Mallett, who was QB at Michigan, was told by new coach Rich Rodriguez "you have no place on my team" and had to transfer and sit out a year. He lost a year of eligibility, but the coach can come and go with no harm no foul.
Mallett (currently injured) ended up with the Houston Texans, but what if he had not had a redshirt year to sit out? It's the overall unfairness. We are asking the kids to "honor" commitments, but if the school changes their minds, oh well. Hate it.

So, basically, if you are on the 2015 Mississippi State Commitment list, look to your right and look to your left. Five more kids are NOT going to get scholarships they've been promised. They were at 31 with Virgil, now at 30 commits. NCAA allows just 25 new schollies per year.

Would you scramble or feel confident?

Taking Virgil and Montez makes too much sense to me, so I'm sure it won't happen. Take both, let them fight it out like Wittek and Kessler did at USC, loser transfers or becomes a TE (Montez).
I wouldn't call Montez the loser.
1) He committed to CU from get go
2) He could be the better QB (IMO he will be)
c) Montez is/has committed the other kid has not. As far as we know, is CU on his radar??

Back