What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 TX QB Steven Montez (Signed to COLORADO)

Amazing how fast Montez has gone from a good prospect to the next Manning or Elway before he ever takes a single snap in a scrimmage much less a game.
Yeah...kinda funny. I just saw a kid who has a rocket arm, good height but needs to add some weight and of course, he needs to know the playbook and be a leader for the team. He has great potential, but I hope folks aren't getting ahead of themselves...he's got a ways to go...unless he's an Anu Solomon type...which is unlikely.

This is universal in college football. The QB who has never taken a snap in a game is always the savior. As soon as he takes a real snap in a game, the high school guy they are recruiting for next year becomes the savior.

This is universal in college football. The QB who has never taken a snap in a game is always the savior. As soon as he takes a real snap in a game, the high school guy they are recruiting for next year becomes the savior.

I must have missed the part where anybody is saying Montez is the savior. I think there is excitement because there have been some very good reports escaping camp, but nobody is saying he's going to start this year, or even next year. The excitement is around the fact that we look to have a capable replacement for when Sefo graduates. That's good stuff.

Been a big Montez fan since last summer's glimpse, but there's a lot of water to flow under the bridge before he's taking over for Sefo. And there's a chance that Apsay or others will have a say in the matter of course.

Good size, athleticism and strong arm are a big start, but the guy before Sefo had all that plus some.

Whoever is the 2nd best option behind Sefo to win games in the teeth of our Pac12 schedule needs to get some early snaps in ooc play. Redshirt be damned. It's way too early for even the staff to know who that it yet if it's not Gehrke.

I must have missed the part where anybody is saying Montez is the savior. I think there is excitement because there have been some very good reports escaping camp, but nobody is saying he's going to start this year, or even next year. The excitement is around the fact that we look to have a capable replacement for when Sefo graduates. That's good stuff.

You people are too serious. Yes, I was using hyperbole. I'm glad Montez looks the part so far.

Good to great QBs play early. I have no idea why people act like the best players on a team need to wait until they are upperclassmen to show out.
My assumption is that the top programs bring in a "good to great" quarterback every year or two. Barring that, yeah, a really good QB could easily start and be effective early. Hell, wasn't Johnny Football a true freshmen? Or was he a RS freshmen when he won the Heisman?

Last edited:
My assumption is that the top programs bring in a "good to great" quarterback every year or two. Barring that, yeah, a really good QB could easily start and be effective early. Hell, wasn't Johnny Football a true freshmen? Or was he a RS freshmen when he won the Heisman?
Redshirt, I'm pretty sure.

My assumption is that the top programs bring in a "good to great" quarterback every year or two.

A lot don't pan out as it's a really hard position to project. It's why you had Connor Wood at Colorado, Wittek from USC to Hawaii. A lot of top schools looking at stealing grad-transfers to fill their needs (see Florida State and Oregon). These guys are the best in the business and often times don't have a single QB on the roster they want to hand the job to.

In the Pac12 alone:
-Stanford's Hogan took over as a SOPH, over several more seasoned (and highly recruited QBs didn't seize the opp).
-Cal's Goff took the job from several more experienced (and all highly recruited candidates) as a true frosh.
-Zona's Solomon took over the job as a RS-Frosh over highly recruited more experienced guys:Jesse Scroggins (USC transfer), Jerrard Randall (LSU transfer), Connor Brewer (Texas transfer)

You got UCLA with no known successor that they've developed and are expected to go with a true frosh in Josh Rosen. Yes he's good, but so were the guys in the 3 classes before him that haven't developed as expected.

Oregon's QB situation isn't settled and many expect EWU transfer Vernon Adams to win the battle.

The difference here is Sefo has 2 years under his belt. Was he good enough last year? No. Door is not completely shut therefore to anything.

If all goes well, Sefo starts 2 more years, Montez RS's this year and gets some PT next year with an eye on starting the following as a RS soph.

https://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1814813

Montez continues to get bigger. He was 6-foot-5, 185-pounds when he verbally committed to the Buffaloes in June of 2014, and was already up to 220-pounds when he arrived in Boulder this summer.

"Now I am up to 230," Montez said. "My favorite part of the day is lifting. I have been hitting the weights hard. I am still kind of slim so I am still trying to gain a little more weight, but not too much, I still want to stay mobile."

Holy ****. Thats a big freshman.

he's got the physical tools. Let's hope Lindgren et al can get him mentally ready. Even if Sefo recovers from this slump, I don't want another year where a QB plays against an FCS team with a separated shoulder.

That article made my loins quiver.
tumblr_mok974QBLl1qliez6o1_500.gif

If he can keep the agility and that 40 time down in the 4.6 range at that size... we're entering Cam Newton territory. And a QB who has that doesn't have to be close to as good as Cam was to be a heck of a QB for a winning team.

Back