What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 TX QB Steven Montez (Signed to COLORADO)

His dad was a superior athlete for a small school in SE Colorado. One of the best athletes in the state regardless of classification. Would love to see the son of someone I balled against in football and basketball come to CU.

His dad was a superior athlete for a small school in SE Colorado. One of the best athletes in the state regardless of classification. Would love to see the son of someone I balled against in football and basketball come to CU.

SECO, you were a Crowley County guy, right? That was a nice couple of years for the lower ark between Montez and Dorenkamp at Granada and Hartshorn (sp?) and Elarton in Lamar.

SECO, you were a Crowley County guy, right? That was a nice couple of years for the lower ark between Montez and Dorenkamp at Granada and Hartshorn (sp?) and Elarton in Lamar.

I coached and taught at Crowley, I was actually a Cheraw graduate and Montez and Dorenkamp were freshman when I was a senior. They were starting as freshman and dominating even at that point.

I know I'm not a quarterback evaluation guru.

But I've just been watching Montez's highlights (finally got around to it). Love the height. Love the way he moves in the open field to avoid tacklers. Love the accuracy and the deep ball. Love that he can gun it when necessary.

I like this prospect better than any of the non-elites we have profiled.

Am I crazy? This does not look at all like a 2* prospect to me.

I guess we'll find out if he follows through with his plans to camp at CU on June 18th.

Rivals article: https://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1645874

Just got around to watching the vids. I'm no expert, but a couple of observations.

He seems to have a bit of a long motion (on some throws, the arm/hand drop down first), yet he gets the ball out fairly quickly. I'm not even sure how that's possible. I also noticed in several clips where he was throwing unbalanced, or off the back foot. Both of these can be worked on with good coaching.

I think he has that "internal clock" thing going on -- kinda knows when pressure is about to break through and then starts to move in the pocket or totally away. I also noticed some wiggle when he's in the open field and I think he could run the zone-read.

I liked his vids better than some of the others I've watched.

I think he's a very good athlete that's still working on being a QB. I figure if we offered Bartlett, he's worth an offer as well. His upside is worth it.

Last edited:
I think he's a very good athlete that's still working on being a QB. I figure if we offered Bartlett, he's worth an offer as well. His upside is worth it.

Bartlett projects at several positions as a true ATH.
This kid may be capable of playing TE, but there's no info to confirm that whatsoever.
He looks very good to me, but nobody offers off of film at QB. He should get his chance soon enough.

His frame reminds me of Kaepernick when he was at Nevada (6'6" 225, SR) Deceptive speed for his size.

His frame reminds me of Kaepernick when he was at Nevada (6'6" 225, SR) Deceptive speed for his size.

I saw similar. Not everything the same but frame and playing style with maybe a little bit better reads. I'm not saying his is the next Kaep but just reminds me of him as well.

I saw similar. Not everything the same but frame and playing style with maybe a little bit better reads. I'm not saying his is the next Kaep but just reminds me of him as well.

I don't think his running instincts or his top end speed are nearly as good as Kaepernick, but the build and some of the throws look similar to his college highlights. Would be a good project to work on for this coaching staff though

Can we get a preview of said spin? I don't want to wait!

Rivals from Adam, so unless released on his twitter we need to wait a bit.

Without undercutting him and how he puts food on his table, I don't think Adam would mind me saying that physically Montez measured up to reports at 6'4.5" and his highlight film didn't lie.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering or considering, I have found my BuffStampede sub to be good value for the money. I think I'd say that even if my interest level was less than half of what it is.

Seth Lobato size…..
Not that far off but Seth was listed as 6´6 and 210 coming out of HS. (His NFL draft weight was listed at 230 in case anyone is wondering.) May sound nitpicky but that is 25 lbs more. Montez could definitely use some work in the weight room, especially if he is going to get out of the pocket and run the way he did in HS.

Can we get a preview of said spin? I don't want to wait!

Spin I'm referring to is what Duff has been predicting when we finally get our QB, whoever he is....

I said the first time I saw this kids' film that it was the best I'd reviewed of anyone we had been talking about being interested in CU.
This is one of the kids I hope we get to evaluate first hand. Like 'Nik, I like his film more than the other guys we've been talking about lately. I actually like it as much as any I've seen this spring. I also said that about Apsay last year, so hopefully our QB coach is listening to me! :lol:

He definitely is an athletic kid who can throw the ball. He's not a TE. He's a D1 QB.

Great news!! Welcome to the club, Steven!!
+1 Great get for us. Supposedly Oki State was quite interested in him. Glad we scooped him up first. Important addition to the 2015 class. Should get at least 1 year to develop more under Lindgren and to bulk up more before carrying the load on his shoulders!

Not that far off but Seth was listed as 6´6 and 210 coming out of HS. (His NFL draft weight was listed at 230 in case anyone is wondering.) May sound nitpicky but that is 25 lbs more. Montez could definitely use some work in the weight room, especially if he is going to get out of the pocket and run the way he did in HS.

That's kind of interesting. I wonder what most kids' reactions are when they commit before the season. Do they start preparing for their college career with added purpose or do they breathe a sigh of relief and take it easy?

Hopefully Montez hits the weight room and comes screaming into camp next fall with drive and purpose.

Back