What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 TX QB Steven Montez (Signed to COLORADO)

5.7? Come on SD, you know better. That would actually make him a ranked DT QB. Not happening.

Right now under the radar is how a team with our history is going to recruit. The coaches have to outwork other staffs to identify where that talent is and get in on them early. The good thing about this is when you can land that talent that didn't get attention from perennial bowl teams then you have talent with chips on their shoulders knowing they have to work hard to prove doubters wrong. When it pays off with victories those collective chips turn to team swagger.

I think Montez is a great find and get, because quarterback mechanics and decisions are a lot easier to coach into improvement than trying to coach a player to be taller or faster.

I can certainly see that as being very possible. Hopefully the guys value Adam's input and bump him up.

Newsflash, he doesn't. Not going to put in any effort unless the Longhorns offer him. And I agree with who cares. Either he can play or he can't so check back in 2016.

To be fair to Howell, he didn't bump Rodriguez even when Florida State, LSU and Texas came calling

From phone

It's true that we should all care more about Pac-12 accolades than a player's star rating... but the fact of the matter is the circle of players we have a shot at is limited right now. The more highly recruited players we land (the ones with higher ratings) the bigger that circle gets and the more options our recruiters have. I think this staff does an excellent job, but if they had a bigger group to pick from, that can only be a good thing.

ESPN rates Steven as the #17 DT quarterback and gave hime a high 3* grade. Unusual for them to have a grade that makes sense.

To be fair to Howell, he didn't bump Rodriguez even when Florida State, LSU and Texas came calling

From phone

Because he had already been called out on it and at that point it was a farce. If this Howell guy is a better evaluator than Florida State, LSU and Texas, then he is the most underpaid football guy in the world. By at least an order of magnitude. Hate to fill up this kid's thread with this, but there's just no way Howell can evaluate OT's and QB's, and do both better than the top programs in a 1000 mile radius!

I am certainly not making that argument. Just saying he didn't change his rating.

From phone

Awesome stuff, Boyd, thanks for posting. Surprised nobody else had come across this yet, like 25 or so posts before yours...

ESPN rates Steven as the #17 DT quarterback and gave hime a high 3* grade. Unusual for them to have a grade that makes sense.

That's the one we pay the lease attention to, but is the one that will do the most to drive perceptions of other recruits and the fans who are just interested enough to tune in to ESPNU on National LOI Day.

That's the one we pay the lease attention to, but is the one that will do the most to drive perceptions of other recruits and the fans who are just interested enough to tune in to ESPNU on National LOI Day.
I am definitely interested to see what Miller has to say at ESPN when he writes up the Montez commit. I am sure like other recruiting services he also will have not seen him in person.

Hope he stays with us. Rodriguez was pretty obscure at this time last year, too.

Hope he stays with us. Rodriguez was pretty obscure at this time last year, too.

It really stuck in my craw how much Rodriquez talked about his word and how he believes that once you make a commitment you stick to it and how God spoke to him and said CU was the right place for him... and then backed off at the last minute.

Not concerned about losing Montez since most schools have their QBs already.

It really stuck in my craw how much Rodriquez talked about his word and how he believes that once you make a commitment you stick to it and how God spoke to him and said CU was the right place for him... and then backed off at the last minute.

Welcome to recruiting. It sucks and that was a blow obviously, but that's the risk with Texas kids if Texas offers.

Dream school that didn't show a lick of interest until a coaching change made it happen. It hurts but the Dotson flip to UW was much more frustrating to me.

Watching the vids of Montez and Waller, it looks to me like the Buffs got the better passer. Waller is fast and the majority of his highlight reel was running with the ball. His release is really low.

I'm happier with Montez.

Man, c'mon. I like Montez, I think he's going to be a good player... but he's not the better passer right now.

Not sure why you think his release point is low. It looks really fast to me and he has an over the top throwing motion. It actually looks like he releases the ball high and has good mechanics. On the flip side, Montez appears to go 3/4 and has kinda herky jerky looking mechanics. Waller is also 6'3'' or 6'4'' and he runs the read option probably as good as any QB in the Pac-12 right now.

The day may come when we look back and say that Montez had a better college (or cross our fingers, pro) career but that will require Montez to work his butt off and for the Buffs to get some major help for him.

Someone can correct me if wrong, but believe last season was the first time Waller was QB? The concern was how raw he is, but with unlimited upside

From phone

Strong didn't do that recruiting; his Grandpa did!

I think Montez is the more accurate passer right now.

Waller reminds me a bit of Braxton Miller from Ohio State. When you're that level of athlete, you don't have to be Troy Aikman in the pocket.

I think mostly with Waller is what he can be and I know not every team is convinced. I believe that's why USC ended up offering Darnold and not Waller.

I think Montez is the more accurate passer right now.

Waller reminds me a bit of Braxton Miller from Ohio State. When you're that level of athlete, you don't have to be Troy Aikman in the pocket.
Exactly my thoughts. Waller has off the charts athleticism and will be lethal in Oregon's offense.

Now a 3* and the #39 pro-style qb on 247sports.

These so-called recruiting gurus are like CU's Power 5 competition: Once they see that HCMM & CO have identified a little-known kid as a prospect they will take a second look at the kid and rate him more appropriately! ( Thank you, Fales and Gillam.)

Back