What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

15 worst coaching hires in college football history

Bleacher Report's "history" only goes back about 15 years,

in our "Age" of unsubstantiated techno-fetishist hyperbole, anything more than 15 years ago was crap, regressive or boring. people used to be chained to rocks 23 hours a day and the only food available was mayonnaise.....in the 80's. i remember it. both fun and sex were invented in the late 90's.

if you are going to have 1 Duke coach, there have to be more. what about the hire SMU made to go death penalty....i'd say that was a pretty bad hire. David McWillams and the other guy who also stunk at Arizona who;s name i forget...that was a back to back doozy for a program just 4-5 years (Fred Akers in the interim wasn't bad, but not DKR) removed from back to back NC's in 69 and 70. Mike Shula at Bama, Fran at ATM....etc.

Last edited:
Pretty lame article IMO. The perspective is only a few years old in most cases and it has a heavy Western bias...like the author is 24 years old and lives on the west coast (oops, he may only be 22).

Last year their list was a little different. Twenty worst coaches.

I agree with some on that list but many I do not. Hawkins will make a lot of lists but so would Fairbanks. Callahan for sure along with Blake. Jerry Faust would make my list as would Mike Shula at Alabama.

I have a hard time putting a Duke coach on the list because they have so little to work with...no tradition in Football - Steve Spurrier is the only Duke coach in the last 50 years to have a winning record. Roof took over a program that only had 7 wins in the previous 5 years and he had 6 wins in 5 years...seemed like he just maintained. Not meeting expectations is not necessarily a bad hire. Charlie Weiss did have a winning record at ND.

gerry faust has to be on any list for it to have cred. foge fazio at pitt would be another one who cratered a national championship level team. mike shula gets strong consideration. i used to think fairbanks would always be considered the worst CU coach ever, but lately i have decided it is ****ing hawkins (of course, that could just be due to recentness of the psychic wounds). neuheisal at uw might be a contender for the list, too. john blake at ou...

mostly, if i were making a list, i'd probably focus on who did the least with the most built-in talent and advantages. it is a helluva lot harder to suck the chrome off a trailer hitch as a coach at nd than it is at washington state for example.

Back