1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'16 CA C Trevor Stanback (Verbal to Stanford)

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive - Basket' started by Goose, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN
    247sports

[​IMG]

Maranatha H.S. (Pasadena, CA)

Ht: 6'10"
    Wt: 210 lbs.

Rivals Rating: 4*; unranked C (#89 overall)
    Scout Rating: 4*; #14 C (#69 overall)
    ESPN Rating: 3*-77 grade; #33 C
    247sports Rating: 3*-89 grade; #35 PF

Reported Offers: Colorado, Arizona St, Connecticut, North Carolina St, San Diego St, UNLV, USC

WasianCU likes this.
  2. Goose

Sounds like he's a bit raw overall and needs to put on size, but ESPN specifically points out that he's already further along than Arizona commit Chance Commanche was at this stage. Good jumper from the top of the key (which immediately makes me think of Marcus Camby). Needs to work on his post game and push himself a bit, but is supposedly a great defender. Would love to have him learn from Wes for a year.

Visited this past weekend as well. Has already visited SD State, but don't see any other visits scheduled at this time.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I'm 100% on board with a shot blocker & rebounder who can run anchoring the middle of the defense. Surround him with 4 shooters and let 'er rip.

From Adam's report, it sounds like we've got a chance with this recruitment.

4. Goose

Here's our last shot for '16. Honestly, and you can accuse me of revisionist history on this one, but he was the one I liked the most of the 3. Sounds like he really liked CU on his visit according to Adam as well. Now we just have to close.

A class of Stanback, Brown and Peters is damn good and something we should be thrilled with.

5. jsmilkst

jsmilkst Club Member Club Member

Yeah, this would be key. Any crystal ball on him yet, besides that is seems he likes us? He talked about SDSU good because he'd be close to his family, which we don't have, but he'll definitely have the opportunity to start as a frosh here...

6. Goose

Kid is very into academics. Luckily, on all visits, CU has the guys sit down with an academic adviser and go over all of the issues. Apparently this made a very strong impression on Mr. Stanback.

My not-at-all-expert-opinion - it's CU or Furd. Which means SDSU is probably firmly in the lead right now.

7. blynch32

blynch32 Member

Would be great to round out that group with him. I'm ready to see some good news on this friggin board.

8. Goose

Furd. That one hurts.

9. Buffnik

10. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Kinda looking doomy in the recruiting front lately. 17 class is now a make or break year

11. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

.....yeah.... ...the thing I don't quite get is how Boyle has struggled. I understand Coach A was huge, but Boyle seems like a really passionate and respectful guy. Are the assistants just not able to get them to notice? Is Boyle not involved enough? You figure some of these guys would hit. Maybe he's not casting enough of a wide net and being too selective... ....this one is more disappointing to me than Davis. Although, I will say that I hope Boyle is keeping in occasional touch with Davis. Crean is just... ...so...weird and awkward... ...I just don't get how Crean and Bloomington beat Boyle and Boulder. I know IU isn't a heavy favorite or anything, and we're way on the outside, but... ...ughh..whatever...I'm just ranting and rambling... ...this sucks.

12. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

been said many times before, 3 stripes

Goose likes this.
  13. pwbuffan

pwbuffan Member

Yeah Boyle hasn't done much in recruiting since coach A left. Better get use to it from here on out with this staff.

14. Buffnik

Huh?

15. BIGEZ321

BIGEZ321 Active Member

What concerns me is that we had four years after getting Scott and Gordon to get a few bigs in here. All we really got was Tory since then. Could've at least found a project (2*,3*) or two from somewhere to start grooming. Depth in the front court is going to be a real concern next year.

16. Buffnik

We signed a PF in the last class.

BIGEZ321 likes this.
  17. BIGEZ321

BIGEZ321 Active Member

You are right. In my mind I was thinking someone more along the lines of 6'10 or up.

18. Goose

I know I'm in the minority, but I still think Tad is perfectly fine rolling with a smaller lineup once Josh graduates. It's hard to find good big men, and throwing scholarships at projects is how you end up in serious trouble. Get quality, or give the scholarship to a guard/swingman.

19. Buffnik

We've been more successful under Tad with a 3G/ 1G-F/ 1PF lineup than we have trying to go bigger.

Unless you can recruit the types of players that allow you to get bigger without compromising athleticism (like UA & UCLA can), give me a smaller lineup.

I've got no problem with it if, for example, next year's starting lineup ended up being Dom-Fortune-White-King-Wes.

Goose likes this.
  20. BuffG

BuffG Well-Known Member

Next year's front court shouldn't be of any concern with Wes & Tory. Tad always seems to get a commit in the late period. They know they need another big once Wes is gone. Transfers, Euros, diamonds in the rough..who knows? It doesn't matter if he's 6'9 or 7'0 but Tory is going to need help post Josh/Wes.

21. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

...I'm not trying to bring up an old, sore topic, so sorry I am not up to par on the boards. But just quickly, do you guys really believe in the shoe influence? I personally would analogize it to you and another guy checking out this girl at a party, but he has a friend that knows her. The friend may introduce the other guy to her, and say nice things about him... ...but **** that...if your game is on, you don't back down. She'll choose who she wants, and it's up to you to show her that you're the better match - and who knows, maybe she is better off with the other guy. I consider the shoe connections to be just that, and nothing more. Again, sorry if this has been debated ad nauseam, but guess just interested.

22. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

100% yes

23. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Agreed

24. Buffnik

Yep.

25. Yung Buffalo

Yung Buffalo Club Member Club Member

Fourth'd?

26. BuffsRising

BuffsRising Well-Known Member

bumping this thread to raise wildly unrealistic hopes that the coaching change gives us another shot, assuming that he's still just a verbal to stanford

27. Buffnik

Getting my hopes up.

@BuffsRising bringing the funky cold medina... and I like it. :D

28. BuffsRising

BuffsRising Well-Known Member

wonder if johnny dawkins would take an assistant job to stay out west? Hmmmmm......

29. Buffnik

Haha. I thought about that, but I just don't think he's a mesh with Tad's culture. Dawkins' program DNA is too little fire, too much finesse.