What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'16 CO OLB Carlo Kemp (Signed to Michigan)

I have no agenda, have never met Kemp or any CO kid, don't even live in CO full-time, just work here. But I follow local football and have coached and have been through the recruiting process and played through college.

Here's the thought. I watched Martin play last year, maybe every game. He's broken numerous records on an admittedly over-stat'ed team (FHS threw a lot). But he's got good size, great body control, runs very good routes, catches everything away from the body and runs well after the catch. Bottom line, he's a D1 player and could contribute to CU immediately, in my opinion. If he doesn't get a serious look by average D1 program down the street, it will impact how kids at that school view that school. Hence, why Kemp (in part) will never suit up for CU.I also think , as has been mentioned by many, that Kemp will get offers from everywhere.

Recruiting is a game that carries over from year to year. The "pipeline" statement is both literal and figurative. Sometimes you need to sign kids (Kenny Bell too) to have a chance at the future kids.

I don't see McCartney and his relationship with CU working in this case.

I will say that the FHS QB also impressed me. He has a cannon for an arm and really moves well in the pocket. He's always looking downfield to make a play, but when there's nothing there, he has the wheels to keep the play going. I think he'll make a very solid QB at the next level. Where that is, who knows.

That said, Kemp was the superstar on the field. There's Kemp, and a bunch of other decent players at Fairview.

Kemp probably won't end up at CU, but that is a monster stretch with Sam Martin. Notre Dame didn't offer Martin either, you going to hold it against them too? CU is no more obligated to recruit Colorado preps as they are obligated to stay home.
Wish Martin and his family nothing but the best. They were obviously pissed and hurt CU didn't offer, but I am sure that is way down the list why Kemp won't be a Buff.

From phone

I have no agenda, have never met Kemp or any CO kid, don't even live in CO full-time, just work here. But I follow local football and have coached and have been through the recruiting process and played through college.

Here's the thought. I watched Martin play last year, maybe every game. He's broken numerous records on an admittedly over-stat'ed team (FHS threw a lot). But he's got good size, great body control, runs very good routes, catches everything away from the body and runs well after the catch. Bottom line, he's a D1 player and could contribute to CU immediately, in my opinion. If he doesn't get a serious look by average D1 program down the street, it will impact how kids at that school view that school. Hence, why Kemp (in part) will never suit up for CU.I also think , as has been mentioned by many, that Kemp will get offers from everywhere.

Recruiting is a game that carries over from year to year. The "pipeline" statement is both literal and figurative. Sometimes you need to sign kids (Kenny Bell too) to have a chance at the future kids.

What the hell took you so long. that is a decent, thoughtful post. I'll rep that so you're in the green. See if you can keep that.

No doubt Hawkins blew it with Bell, but to say that every FHS kid is now soured on CU because CU didn't offer Martin is a stretch when Martin didn't receive any other offers from P5 team (at least according to his Rivals profile). I hope he does great things in Ohio, and proves everyone wrong.

Very, very unlikely he comes here. Just reality. The coaching staff has made him a priority and it likely won't matter.
This is the same attitude most had about Lynott. I'll wait it out and pray for our season to turn around.

A. Issue with your first post had a lot to do with tone. It didn't read well and people got their back up.

B. Regarding Kemp, I think we all agree he is a long shot right now to sign with CU, but a lot can happen in a couple years. Coaches will continue to recruit him. CU provides a quality education, big time football league and a fun atmosphere.

C. When you bring up other players that didn't receive a scholarship offer, it is difficult to respond without sounding like an attack on that player. Martin was a fine prep player and he most certainly "received a look" from the CU staff. Recruiting is an either/or proposition unfortunately and WRs such as Shay Fields and Donovan Lee also had fine prep careers and "are absolutely D1 players that can help CU immediately". The coaches had to make choices. Sometimes they mess up, most of the time they don't. CU's problem of late has not been poor evaluations, rather it's been keeping the Kemp type players from signing elsewhere.

D. If you are not a CU fan and don't even live full time in the state, how did you find Allbuffs? Who is your team? It might make for better interaction if you let us know what point of view you have.

Kemp probably won't end up at CU, but that is a monster stretch with Sam Martin. Notre Dame didn't offer Martin either, you going to hold it against them too? CU is no more obligated to recruit Colorado preps as they are obligated to stay home.
Wish Martin and his family nothing but the best. They were obviously pissed and hurt CU didn't offer, but I am sure that is way down the list why Kemp won't be a Buff.

From phone

Really bad comparison with ND. I stand by my opinion that the best in CO history (yards and catches) in a higher profile position like WR should always be heavily pursued by CU. If they are literally down the street, there is more reason to look hard. The example carries over to any state school. ND can and does recruit from everywhere.

As for my motivation, I'm just an ex player who loves the game and supports a few programs with recruits. But being told that my posts on this site are being received better really is my proudest moment in life.

Stand by your position all you want, Martin has a chance to prove CU wrong. Where did he end up? Miami of Ohio?

From phone

Really bad comparison with ND. I stand by my opinion that the best in CO history (yards and catches) in a higher profile position like WR should always be heavily pursued by CU. If they are literally down the street, there is more reason to look hard. The example carries over to any state school. ND can and does recruit from everywhere.

As for my motivation, I'm just an ex player who loves the game and supports a few programs with recruits. But being told that my posts on this site are being received better really is my proudest moment in life.

Let me understand this. You are claiming that the reason we have no shot at Kemp is because we didn't recruit another FHS player that... Wait for it... No other major program recruited either. Think that over for a second and tell me if I got that tight.

I think this discussion may need to be moved to the island, or perhaps to the Colorado prep board.

Rated a 4* and #158 overall by Rivals. As expected, he will be a national recruit.

Could the hire of Leavitt help us convince Kemp to stay home? Couldn't hurt considering he coached the best LB corps in the NFL for the past 4 years. I'm still holding out hope here.

Could the hire of Leavitt help us convince Kemp to stay home? Couldn't hurt considering he coached the best LB corps in the NFL for the past 4 years. I'm still holding out hope here.

Can't hurt. this kid is a STUD.... Bring back the LB U label for us Carlo

I was thinking the same thing. If I were HCMM I would put Leavitt on him big time. Easy transition, no out of town recruiting. We can only take about 10 guys next year so if Leavitt could get Kemp that would be enough for me out of our DC on the recruiting trail.

I'd expect Carlo will follow advise from his two famous Uncles and it will be difficult to know how they may feel about Levitt. A lot can change as it did for Nick Kasa.

Carlo has been eyeing national blue bloods since he was pretty young. Colorado has to shock the nation and Kemp would need to notice.

It certainly can't hurt. The guy is known as a first rate linebacker coach. There are very few coaches at the college level who can provide what Leavitt can.

Did the eldest Pagano, I guess Carlo's grandad, Sam Pagano, have a good relationship with CU when he was coaching? Just curious.

Did the eldest Pagano, I guess Carlo's grandad, Sam Pagano, have a good relationship with CU when he was coaching? Just curious.

Fairview has a long history of sending their best athletes to schools not named "CU", unfortunately. Tony Boselli,Scott Lockwood to name a few. And those were at a time when CU was a national powerhouse.

Fairview has a long history of sending their best athletes to schools not named "CU", unfortunately. Tony Boselli,Scott Lockwood to name a few. And those were at a time when CU was a national powerhouse.

Good for nothing then. Just like Valor.

Going to college in Boulder when you've grown up in Boulder County is very unfashionable right now.

For a guy going to the league, would the coaching experience, success, and skills outweigh the overall performance of another program?

Is a winning program better than having a personal mentor who's been a defensive powerhouse at every level of the game?

Seems like it would be very difficult to guarantee better development available as a LB elsewhere.

Just spitballin', never really thought about it before.

We don't have much of a shot it seems, we should bust our butts trying tho, this kid can ball. Does he wanna go somewhere where he is just part of a defense or somewhere he is the heart of the defense? I guess we'll see.

We don't have much of a shot it seems, we should bust our butts trying tho, this kid can ball. Does he wanna go somewhere where he is just part of a defense or somewhere he is the heart of the defense? I guess we'll see.
And play in front of tons of friends and family, get coached up by the guy who was just coaching all-pro LBs at SF and go to a great school? He will have plenty of attractive options but you have to believe Leavitt makes it a little more interesting for him.

Back