What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'16 CO PF De'Ron Davis (Signed to Indiana)

If he stays 6'9", he's a below average athlete at PF with a good stroke. If he hits 6'11", 7', he's an average athlete at C with a great stroke.

We're all in agreement we're just going to ignore this, right?

My bad.

Anyway, all reports are that Davis is CU's #1 target for 2016 and that the feeling is mutual. Still a long way to go though.

My bad.

Anyway, all reports are that Davis is CU's #1 target for 2016 and that the feeling is mutual. Still a long way to go though.

The fact that Tad's building that relationship early is huge. It's hard to overstae just how big of a get this would be.

Last edited:
In the past a kid like this would be a pipe dream. The only way he stays is if he makes a decision to stay close to home like Chauncey did.

That's the past. Now he can look at a team that is consistently in the tourney, spending time in the rankings, getting some airtime on SportsCenter. He can look at a roster that has multiple players who had mulitple quality offers from other schools and choose Colorado, a team that is putting guys into the NBA. He can look at a coach who knows how to recruit and how to develop the guys he does recruit both individually and as a team.

Essessially all the reasons that used to exist to leave have been replaced by reasons to stay. He can look at a couple of other highly regarded Colorado HS big men in Scott and Gordon and know that he can have a great experience in Boulder.

In the past a kid like this would be a pipe dream. The only way he stays is if he makes a decision to stay close to home like Chauncey did.

That's the past. Now he can look at a team that is consistently in the tourney, spending time in the rankings, getting some airtime on SportsCenter. He can look at a roster that has multiple players who had mulitple quality offers from other schools and choose Colorado, a team that is putting guys into the NBA. He can look at a coach who knows how to recruit and how to develop the guys he does recruit both individually and as a team.

Essessially all the reasons that used to exist to leave have been replaced by reasons to stay. He can look at a couple of other highly regarded Colorado HS big men in Scott and Gordon and know that he can have a great experience in Boulder.

:yeahthat: Plus his family can watch him play, he can experience the Dance and prepare for life-long local, lucrative relationships, ala Chauncey.

I always have to laff at Colorado kids who go elsewhere to college, then suddenly realize the weather sucks everywhere else and they miss the dry air and lack of bugs we enjoy!

Last edited:
We're all in agreement we're just going to ignore this, right?
Yes we'll ignore the fact that abilities are viewed differently based on what position you play or how big a kid is.

The kid isn't a great athlete. This is known. If he's 7' that doesn't matter as much as if he's 6'9". It's why you see scrappy 7 footers drafted every year.

Yes we'll ignore the fact that abilities are viewed differently based on what position you play or how big a kid is.

The kid isn't a great athlete. This is known. If he's 7' that doesn't matter as much as if he's 6'9". It's why you see scrappy 7 footers drafted every year.

It doesn't matter very much at the college level

:yeahthat: Plus his family can watch him play, he can experience the Dance and prepare for life-long local, lucrative relationships, ala Chauncey.

I always have to laff at Colorado kids who go elsewhere to college, then suddenly realize the weather sucks everywhere else and they miss the dry air and lack of bugs we enjoy!

Miss the dry air and lack of bugs??

This is kind of what I've been saying over at Rivals for about six months. He's currently in the best shape of his HS career, so he's definitely more mobile at the moment. But he needs to grow another inch or two for me to feel more comfortable with his athleticism.

I went to the Overland vs. Creek game on Friday. Davis took a little to get going, but he looked pretty good once he did. Has some nice moves offensively, and his D was great especially at the end of the game. Some of that is probably due to the fact that Creek has no one that can match up with him.
That being said, there was no wow factor, but he is young and somewhat passive. I think he will continue to blossom for sure.

Also, Overland runs absolutely no offense. It was rediculous to watch. If Austin Conway is on the floor he is faster then everyone else, so he sprints the ball up the court and they shoot the first thing they see. If Davis is in, he might get an inside touch, if not their offense is terrible. They beat a really bad creek team by like five, where if you have Davis and Conway you should be killing a team like that. Not impressed with the coaching.

First off, De'Ron has the offensive skill to play the 3 at the next level--that being college, which he's 2+ years away from. Second, 6'9 is not undersized to play the 4 at the high major D1 level. You must be projecting him to the NBA draft, which is a tad irrelevant considering that this is a post on a college message board about a potential recruit who is a sophomore in high school. You have to be a great athlete to be unanimously considered one of the 20-25 best basketball players in the country in your age group. De'Ron at 16 has barely scratched the surface of his physical and mental development.

First off, De'Ron has the offensive skill to play the 3 at the next level--that being college, which he's 2+ years away from. Second, 6'9 is not undersized to play the 4 at the high major D1 level. You must be projecting him to the NBA draft, which is a tad irrelevant considering that this is a post on a college message board about a potential recruit who is a sophomore in high school. You have to be a great athlete to be unanimously considered one of the 20-25 best basketball players in the country in your age group. De'Ron at 16 has barely scratched the surface of his physical and mental development.

Well done.

De'Ron is a heck of a good athlete for someone of his size and bulk.

I don't know if some of you have seen film on some of the stiffs that get major D1 offers. De'Ron isn't a "high flyer", but there's a hell of a lot more to basketball than that. In fact, being a "high flyer" is one of the least important things. I'll take a Cory Higgins over a Shannon Sharpe every time.

Well done.

I don't know if some of you have seen film on some of the stiffs that get major D1 offers. De'Ron isn't a "high flyer", but there's a hell of a lot more to basketball than that. In fact, being a "high flyer" is one of the least important things. I'll take a Cory Higgins over a Shannon Sharpe every time.

Look no further than the Thomas Welsch thread if you want to see just how far size will take you. He was a top 100 kid and De'Ron is already a far superior athlete, albeit a couple inches shorter.

Well done.

Well one is 6'5" and one is 6'0" maybe. And.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFNeI9RLohs

- non-important post - somehow it's funny that every bball recruit thread becomes an argument about a guys height

I'd just like to point out that Josh Scott is not as athletic as De'Ron, he's only an inch taller, and he's one of the best post players in the country. He's almost averaging a double-double and a lot of the people he goes up against are much more athletic than he is.

Disagree strongly.

Illustrative counterpoint.

But seriously, the kid has shown the ability to score from inside-out and has demonstrated a pretty impressive handle for a 16 year old his size. I see no reason to pigeon hole him at one position when he's so young. Positions 3-5 possible

But seriously, the kid has shown the ability to score from inside-out and has demonstrated a pretty impressive handle for a 16 year old his size. I see no reason to pigeon hole him at one position when he's so young. Positions 3-5 possible

He's watched him a ton and against top competition. It's not pigeon holing the kid. It's making an honest assessment based off of his athleticism and basketball skill. If you think a guy like XJ struggles to defend the perimeter against 3s, then De'Ron will really struggle.

De'ron can't handle the ball against wings, as he's never illustrated the ability to do that against anyone but a bulky PF or center. He doesn't have a real pull up jumper and he can't come off of screens to catch and shoot with quickness. He can catch and shoot on a swing or kick out, with great effectiveness, but he's not a slasher. He can't get by 3's at any level right now, and he's not quick enough defensively to guard the perimeter.

He's a high level PF/C recruit but let's be careful about how much hype is generated that's based on myth and not fact.

De'ron can't handle the ball against wings, as he's never illustrated the ability to do that against anyone but a bulky PF or center. He doesn't have a real pull up jumper and he can't come off of screens to catch and shoot with quickness. He can catch and shoot on a swing or kick out, with great effectiveness, but he's not a slasher. He can't get by 3's at any level right now, and he's not quick enough defensively to guard the perimeter.

He's a high level PF/C recruit but let's be careful about how much hype is generated that's based on myth and not fact.

Thank you!

De'Ron is a Top 50 national recruit.

He's 6'9" with a big body. He's a load in the middle. He's also a matchup nightmare, because an opponent will have to use a big dude to guard him... and his range will force that defender into the uncomfortable spot of having to respect his mid-range jump shot.

If CU can sign him, we're looking at a 2016 front court rotation of Gordon, Miller and Davis. That's a lot of skill and a lot of beef.

Not to mention he is 16 years old. I just shake my head when people think 16 years olds are some how maxed out on potential. Based off of what I've heard and seen from Deron tape, this kid is about legit as we are going to get at the PF/C position.

Back