What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'16 UT WR Simi Fehoko (Verbal to Stanford)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN
247sports

simi-fehoko-slide.jpg

Brighton H.S. (Salt Lake City, UT)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/simi_fehoko

Ht: 6'4"
Wt: 183
40:

Rivals rating: 4*-5.8rr; #60 WR
Scout rating: 4*; #44 WR (#285 overall)
ESPN rating: 4*-80 grade; #64 WR
247s rating: 4*-94 grade; #22 WR (#137 overall)

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Arizona State, BYU, Clemson, Michigan, Nebraska, Oregon State, Stanford, Utah, Utah State, Washington, Washington State

No reported CU offer yet, but being recruited by the Buffs. Probably the #1 player in Utah this cycle.

Picked up an offer from us a couple days ago:

[tweet]598244243606343680[/tweet]

can he qualify?

Furd is private.

If he passes the clearinghouse they can take anybody they want to. They can also tailor an academic program to "fit his talents and needs" that will keep him eligible and maybe even lead to a degree.

Don't know about his specific academic prowess but Stanford has taken some "exceptions" in the past based on their ability to contribute athletically.

Furd is private.

If he passes the clearinghouse they can take anybody they want to. They can also tailor an academic program to "fit his talents and needs" that will keep him eligible and maybe even lead to a degree.

Don't know about his specific academic prowess but Stanford has taken some "exceptions" in the past based on their ability to contribute athletically.

Stanford loses 20% or more of the class they have committed every December. Admissions may make exceptions for athletes, but the standards there still go above and beyond most anywhere else in P5.

Stanford loses 20% or more of the class they have committed every December. Admissions may make exceptions for athletes, but the standards there still go above and beyond most anywhere else in P5.

I think that for the most part they try to recruit kids who will reasonably fit in at Stanford, in other words kids who with the support of the academic tutors can handle the academic coursework that other students have.

At the same time, and my point, is that as a private institution they have the the ability to adjust their admission standards based on individual talent.

Based off his offer list Fehoko may not be one of those standouts that would merit that kind of adjustment so they probably have reason to believe he can pass admissions and do the work.

We shall see in time.

I think that for the most part they try to recruit kids who will reasonably fit in at Stanford, in other words kids who with the support of the academic tutors can handle the academic coursework that other students have.

At the same time, and my point, is that as a private institution they have the the ability to adjust their admission standards based on individual talent.

Based off his offer list Fehoko may not be one of those standouts that would merit that kind of adjustment so they probably have reason to believe he can pass admissions and do the work.

We shall see in time.

Point I'm making is that while Stanford has the ability to be more flexible as a private institution, they don't take advantage of it much. USC takes full advantage, so your argument would have been a lot stronger if we had been talking about them or Baylor. Less so if we're talking about Stanford or Duke or Northwestern. Even Notre Dame... which hasn't been able to attract Urban Meyer despite it being his dream job because they won't make the compromises they did during the early Holtz years any more.

Point I'm making is that while Stanford has the ability to be more flexible as a private institution, they don't take advantage of it much. USC takes full advantage, so your argument would have been a lot stronger if we had been talking about them or Baylor. Less so if we're talking about Stanford or Duke or Northwestern. Even Notre Dame... which hasn't been able to attract Urban Meyer despite it being his dream job because they won't make the compromises they did during the early Holtz years any more.

Don't disagree with you, Stanford has been less willing to take advantage. Doesn't mean they haven't done some of it though.

You can't even mention the former SWC schools like Baylor and SMU with Stanford.

The Holtz years at ND are the perfect example. They pretty much sold out all their standards in order to let Holtz get and keep the players he needed to win. With the amount of money that is involved it wouldn't shock me if in the future they decided to go that way again.

Furd is private.

Furd's idea of an athletic exception is letting a guy in who get 1250 (old scoring) and had a 3.5 in highschool.

Dick Sherman got a 990 on his SAT and got into Stanford. Unless its standards have changed, Stanford admits at least some athletes who wouldn't otherwise have any chance of getting in.

The whole point is Stanford loses commits every year due to admissions. They do not take JUCO players. They do not take early enrollees. And they are absolutely killing it this recruiting cycle.

The whole point is Stanford loses commits every year due to admissions. They do not take JUCO players. They do not take early enrollees. And they are absolutely killing it this recruiting cycle.

Harbaugh changed things there. What Stanford has been able to do in the past 8 years is pretty impressive.

Dick Sherman got a 990 on his SAT and got into Stanford. Unless its standards have changed, Stanford admits at least some athletes who wouldn't otherwise have any chance of getting in.

4.1 GPA

Dont get me wrong they do move the needle for their athletes but they are moving a needle that sometimes does not accept people with perfect or near perfect test scores. The year Monty left for the NBA he had a discussion with the Admissions dept because of the top 250 in the country he could get something like 2 past the admissions protocol even at the lower athlete standards. Admissions refusing to budge was a significant contributor to his departure.

Baseball has similar stories of having to pass on top recruits even after they had verbally gotten them closed because of admissions. I know less about the football program but as Duff mentions they lose portions of their class predictably every year in december/january - those kids arent all just having a change of heart. It always bears fruit to stay close to your kids when recruiting vs Furd becuase of the turn over.

I posed the question about Fehoko specifically because some of the athletes he's close to in previous cycles had issues qualifying at schools of lesser caliber than Stanford.

4.1 GPA

Dont get me wrong they do move the needle for their athletes but they are moving a needle that sometimes does not accept people with perfect or near perfect test scores. The year Monty left for the NBA he had a discussion with the Admissions dept because of the top 250 in the country he could get something like 2 past the admissions protocol even at the lower athlete standards. Admissions refusing to budge was a significant contributor to his departure.

Baseball has similar stories of having to pass on top recruits even after they had verbally gotten them closed because of admissions. I know less about the football program but as Duff mentions they lose portions of their class predictably every year in december/january - those kids arent all just having a change of heart. It always bears fruit to stay close to your kids when recruiting vs Furd becuase of the turn over.

I posed the question about Fehoko specifically because some of the athletes he's close to in previous cycles had issues qualifying at schools of lesser caliber than Stanford.

Dumb by association?

BTW, I've known two athlete's who went to Stanford from our local H.S. and neither were close to getting in without athletics. In fact, one, may not have gotten into CU as a student, as he was a baseball player.

his "cousins" dont have a great record of qualifying, it is a fair question.

Back