What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 AZ QB Chase Cord (Verbal to Boise State)

The only time if makes sense to sign 2 hs Qbs is if at least one is an elite athlete that could potentially play another position. I think most HS QBs realize most schools will only sign 1 QB which is why they notoriously commit early.

UCLA just brought in 3 qbs this cycle and only one will play another position. We will lose three senior qbs after next season. If one can play another position that is fine but we need to take qbs until we hit on one then we can be picky about numbers.

I'm OK with that IF it is more of the ATH / QB player. Not interested in a flyer on a Stevie Joe Dorman again... Haha

UCLA just brought in 3 qbs this cycle and only one will play another position. We will lose three senior qbs after next season. If one can play another position that is fine but we need to take qbs until we hit on one then we can be picky about numbers.

After next season, the pipeline appears to be:
Apsay JR
Montez SO
Noyer FR
New Guy RS-F

Talk of Apsay being dismissed seems unfounded, so I'll assume he will be here.

The new trend in CFB is to get Grad-Transfer QBs. Or a Juco. Serves us much better than taking two HS kids in the same class.

Decide what you want to run on offense and decide who your best option is and go for it. Why hedge it? We have plenty of needs. I'd use 2 on QB if 1 is transfer only.

And UCLA took 2 QBs this year. One will have to be a backup right away and won't redshirt.
Rosen didn't redshirt, so their younger depth on their chart is wide open. Pretty much anyone that is a SO or above is likely (or at least possible) to transfer due to Rosen. Their Depth chart looks like:
Rosen SO
New Guy T-FR
New Guy RS-FR
(unless one of the guys already on the roster can fend off the New Guys for awhile). Clearly, UCLA wasn't confident in that.

Last edited:
After next season, the pipeline appears to be:
Apsay JR
Montez SO
Noyer FR
New Guy RS-F

Talk of Apsay being dismissed seems unfounded, so I'll assume he will be here.

The new trend in CFB is to get Grad-Transfer QBs. Or a Juco. Serves us much better than taking two HS kids in the same class.

Decide what you want to run on offense and decide who your best option is and go for it. Why hedge it? We have plenty of needs. I'd use 2 on QB if 1 is transfer only.

And UCLA took 2 QBs this year. One will have to be a backup right away and won't redshirt.
Rosen didn't redshirt, so their younger depth on their chart is wide open. Pretty much anyone that is a SO or above is likely (or at least possible) to transfer due to Rosen. Their Depth chart looks like:
Rosen SO
New Guy T-FR
New Guy RS-FR
(unless one of the guys already on the roster can fend off the New Guys for awhile). Clearly, UCLA wasn't confident in that.

Probably needs to be moved to another thread but here is my opinion. I am a huge Montez fan but in no way shape or form would I be satisfied going into a season with our depth chart consisting of Montez, Apsay, Noyer and a true freshman like Cord (which could very possibly be Montez, Noyer and Cord). We need to upgrade at the Qb position big time after Mac's first three years and there simply aren't enough grad transfers to go around. We got very lucky with DC having a prior relationship with Webb but who knows how that projects after next year. Bring in a ton of QB's until you find a good one and then attrition will work itself out like it usually does at this position.

If the depth chart shakes out like it is rumored to do I wouldn't mind bringing in a JUCO/grad transfer to compete with Montez along with 2 high school qb's to fill the pipeline since recruiting has been lack luster in Mac's first three classes.

Well, I agree with you on the attrition works itself out part. I'd rather have too many and have one leave, then the opposite. But it also compromises your ability to bring in perhaps 1. UCLA brought in two, but one of them had few options, and is likely to have instant class separation.

I also am careful to judge our pipeline strictly based on recruiting rankings and perhaps some whispers of how great they look in practice.... Connor Wood and Shane Dillon. Montez remains a mystery to ALL of us.

I think he's coming for the Spring Game.

ASU starting to recruit him pretty hard, but haven't seen an offer yet.

Very interesting prospect. Good height, can scoot, and the camp reports are that he showed pinpoint accuracy -- including being able to sling it while on the move. But he also plays in a lower division of Arizona prep football so he's not getting exposed to the best competition in the state. I haven't seen anything about him having a QB coach, either, so my assumption is that he'd come in a bit raw if he ended up being the guy CU signs.

Since we are going to be recruiting some players from AZ for the foreseeable future, I thought it might be helpful to list the Arizona H.S. program populations per classification.

6A has 42 schools
5A has 43 schools
4A has 44 schools (Chase Cord's school's classification)
3A has 37 schools
2A has 50 schools
1A has 45 schools

4A probably isn't TOO concerning given his offer list and athleticism, though your point is well taken. I think that CU can stay in the conversation here as long as he doesn't get an ASU or AZ offer. In fact, if we remain his only P12 offer, I like CU's chances a lot.

I think that CU can stay in the conversation here as long as he doesn't get an ASU or AZ offer. In fact, if we remain his only P12 offer, I like CU's chances a lot.

The article on rivals makes me feel like ASU might be falling out of the race for him:
“At ASU, I didn't feel as much love and support from them directed towards me. They didn't really make me feel comfortable or sell me on liking their school. I haven't received an offer from them, though, so that is kind of where we're at with them."

http://www.scout.com/college/footba...662483-three-star-qb-chase-cord-back-colorado

"I was super excited for the Colorado visit because I had never been there before,” Cord told Scout.com. “It was just beautiful up there. We got to campus and felt very welcomed seeing the staff and them spending time with me and my family. It was awesome.

“I feel like I’m their top priority at quarterback right now. Obviously they have offered a couple other quarterbacks, but they constantly stay in contact with me. They get on the phone when they can. I definitely like that they care about me not just as a football player, but as a person as well.”

The Buffaloes and a couple other schools are set to stop by Sunrise Mountain in the coming weeks, including Boise State and Indiana -- both of which have offered -- as well as Oregon State and Texas A&M. Colorado co-offensive coordinator Brian Lindgren is scheduled to check in on May 2.

“A commitment is something my parents and I have talked about it, especially after that Colorado visit. We've spoken with coach Lindgren about timelines because we know there are a ton of 2017 quarterbacks that have already committed. There is obviously the variable that you don’t want to wait too long and get your spot taken away. I'm looking at different schools and waiting to see if anything pops up this eval period. I don’t know right now whether a decision will be after my spring ball, after summer or after the season."

Bumping this thread because I really like this kid's film. There's some under-thrown balls so I'd like to see him live (not just highlights) but some of those games were like highlight reels.

And extra points for the Flagstaff footage of tearing them up in the NAU Skydome. I got to see the 10 yard line that I tripped over on my easy walk into the endzone on a punt return to break a 7-7 tie vs Prescott a long time ago, late in the 4th quarter. Game ended tied, and that was a long bus ride home to the Valley for #6. Still can't believe they haven't fixed that 10 yard line, it looks the same now as when I tripped over it....

Bumping this thread because I really like this kid's film. There's some under-thrown balls so I'd like to see him live (not just highlights) but some of those games were like highlight reels.

And extra points for the Flagstaff footage of tearing them up in the NAU Skydome. I got to see the 10 yard line that I tripped over on my easy walk into the endzone on a punt return to break a 7-7 tie vs Prescott a long time ago, late in the 4th quarter. Game ended tied, and that was a long bus ride home to the Valley for #6. Still can't believe they haven't fixed that 10 yard line, it looks the same now as when I tripped over it....
? You make a gopher hole while stretching before the game?

I know a lot of you folks are focused on Lytle as your hoped for QB commit, but I figure Cord is high enough up on your list that you'd be interested in seeing the result of the official visit he took to Boise State.

http://www.scout.com/college/boise-state/story/1670916-chase-cord-talks-boise-state-visit

Based on the quotes from both his Colorado visit and his Boise State visit, and not having any plans to take any further visits, I have to think we're probably his two leaders.

I like Cord a lot also. The fact that he played small school ball and has had to sit out the off-season rather than shop his wares at camps, makes him a bit risky for any program and not one a top program is going to take. But this is the kind of guy who slips to a Boise St. or EWU (Vernon Adams), Montana State (Prukop) or Memphis (Paxton Lynch).

The risks are not so much the knee, but just not having a great chance to evaluate him live and put him thru drills.

Back