1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'17 CO SG Justinian Jessup (Verbal to Boise State)

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Recruiting Central' started by WasianCU, May 7, 2015.

1. WasianCU

WasianCU Club Member Club Member

Rivals
    Scout
    ESPN
    247sports

[​IMG]

Longmont H.S. (Longmont, CO)

AAU team: Colorado Titans

Twitter: https://twitter.com/justinian_10

Ht: 6-foot-4
    Wt: 180 lbs.

Rivals rating: unrated SG
    Scout rating:
    ESPN rating: 2*-65 grade; #63 SF
    247s rating:

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Boise State, Northern Colorado, Weber State

[tweet]596518802310828032[/tweet]

2. sockdolager

sockdolager Club Member Club Member

3. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

4. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

So, do I gloat here, or in the other thread? :lol:

I think it's important to point out that this is an offer for the 2017 class. Justinian graduates in 2016. Maybe a prep school kind of thing.

Kid can score and he can play defense.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  5. Gary Indiana

Gary Indiana Club Member Club Member

Before you gloat, lets make sure he can do it against Pac-12 Caliber guards. That is what really matters here. He seems like a great kid with some talent, but the thought of him matching up with any guards from around the conference is [AlfredJasper approved word] at this point. I sincerely hope I am wrong and he works hard during his prep year to make me eat my words.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    AlferdJasper likes this.
  6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I am happy for him. Seems like a great kid. Always nice to have the local flavor, too. I'll cheer my ass off for him if he signs with CU.

If I were you, though, I'd probably hold off on the gloating until we see him play college basketball. :wink2:

7. Sportsfan101

Sportsfan101 Active Member

The kid is the best defensive player in the state. He won't have a hard time playing defense at the Pac 12 level. But I'm sure you've seen him play many times.

8. Gary Indiana

I certainly hope you're right.

9. WizzersGhost

WizzersGhost Banned BANNED

You took such offense at those pointing out the kid needs a little weight on his bones, you shouldn't gloat, period.

10. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

I am encouraged by the Boise offer. While they are not Pac-12, Leon Rice is a disciple of the Gonzaga program and learned plenty from Mark Few's successes. Jessup could become our Sabatino Chen of his recruiting class. This program cannot win on those guys alone, but they are necessary for teamwork and leadership. Based on things we have read from others on the board, he doesn't seem like he has his heart set on going out of state so I like our chances if he's truly the type of player Tad wants.

11. BuffG

BuffG Well-Known Member

From the little bit of highlights, I like the Sabatino comp. Of course, minus the wavy locks. Would like to see him face teams with a hint of D1 talent.

12. BuffinCali

BuffinCali Well-Known Member

Boyle is at it again! While this may be a feel good story for a local player, bottomline, he is not Pac-12 caliber player. Boyle continues to grab N. Colorado University talent for a Major program. The program needs elite talent not longshots - the roster is full of those type players. Not to mention the roster is now loaded with guards and lacking a true C after next year (losing both Scott and XJ), Boyle keeps adding guards.
    Boyle has tried to get top talent but swings and misses. He needs to bring on an assistant coach who can recruit!

Great news for a local player - desperate reach for a program in need of impact players.

13. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

Yeah definitely seems like a reach but he did offer him a year after he graduates. We will see how he develops but not excited about the way recruiting has gone. Other than the guard from Belgium, none of these prospects have any big schools after them.

14. Gary Indiana

The most baffling part to me, this is Tad saying, "I won't be able to land a better guard between now and 2017". Why spend one of your 2017 scholarships this early?

15. Bballfan1

Bballfan1 New Member

What truly sucks about these comments about Tad is that they're true. We are headed in the wrong direction and recruiting has become a joke! Tad needs to step up his game and recruit top players, not just marginal talent. I'm hoping he gets Davis to commit, but it doesn't look promising. Jessup is not PAC12 talent and he's not going to make CU better. he's great for UNC.... what we need is a talented and versatile big.....

16. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle New Member

I think its great that Tad wants to help local kids and at UNC that was great...... different story at CU. This kid is not strong enough to compete in the PAC 12. We need to step up our game and get the top hoopers in the West, and that means recruit outside of Colorado! I'm sure Jessup is a great kid but its not good for him or the program for him to attend CU.

17. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Guess that's been XJ's problem all along. He's really a center....

18. BuffinCali

BuffinCali Well-Known Member

LOL, you got me there. I should have wrote C's and F's are at a premium. XJ would be a stretch, stretch C!

Should Davis choose CU, that helps inside - still need quality instead of quantity perimeter help.

19. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Are a great PG and SG not at a premium? Did you not see what UConn has done the past few years by having stars in those positions?

20. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

...I somewhat agree with you, but let's take everything into perspective. First off, hats off to Jessup for earning a scholarship offer. I don't know the conditions of it, but perhaps Sacky, with family's approval, can tell us details - i.e. how solid the offer is. It does seem weird to me to offer a development kid for a year down the road, after he graduates. I'm not saying anything about Jessup's ability, just that the situation is odd.

I've been very annoyed with Boyle's recruiting, especially as of late. However, this is the same coach that has recruited some solid players, more than his predecessors. Even Coach K at Duke has gotten flack for his recruiting as recently as a few years ago, but those criticizing him realize he knows bball better than fans and is trying his hardest. While Boyle may not get the same amount of leeway, the same holds true. He knows more about bball (on and off court) than the vast majority of us fans (includine me), and I have no doubt he is trying hard.

With that said, yes, recrutiing is underwhelming and at times disappointing. I'm sort of annoyed that outside of Davis, we haven't really been in serious rumor mills for other top players...but again, I'm not a coach or in the program. For great coaches, I think recruiting goes in cycles, and I'm hoping we have a great one (not yet, but eventually).

Go Buffs - there has been a lot of whining about Tad and bball program the past year, and much of it justified. However, I hope none of you are seriously thinking that our coach isn't a solid one, and that he isn't working hard to make the program better. Because if you are... ...you're a ****ing moron.

21. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

If we were recruiting like Duke, nobody would be complaining.

2013 #4 nationally
    2014 #2 nationally
    2015 #1 nationally

also Duke fans are apparently stupid.

22. Sportsfan101

Sportsfan101 Active Member

Jessup has grown over an inch and a half in the last year. He is still growing and is currently a little taller than 6'5". I wouldn't be shocked to see him end up as a 6'6" or even 6'7" point guard. That can create mismatches in and of itself.

Does he need to get stronger? Yes. He knows it -- he's always carrying around protein shakes. He'll get bigger. You can't teach size, though, and he'll come in as a very good defensive player, a good shooter and a 6'6"ish point guard. He'll do well at CU.

23. sackman

Now has offers from Northern Iowa and Davidson.

24. buffaholic

Who told you aholes its ok to muck up a recruits thread here? Ban?

you know nothing about Jessup. Is he under the radar? Yes. Is he a reach? Easy to assume but you have no idea.

25. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

Davidson has had a good program in the past. Not sure what they have done lately but glad to see the kid get multiple offers to play at the next level.

26. onealcd

Wasn't northern Iowa in the top 20 last year?

27. sackman

Davidson has made the Tourney three of the last four years, including 2015. Boise won the MWC last year (we were 1-2 against the MWC), and UNI was ranked last year, but yeah, his offers are junk.

this may be a blow to our egos, but CU is running about fourth right now.

right now, CU is recruiting two in-state players and we aren't in the top three for either one.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    absinthe likes this.
  28. onealcd

That is unfortunate. I heard some disappointing things about the chemistry and selfishness on the team being a big deterrent to recruits. Hope it was just bad info.

29. buffaholic

But, but but we are Pac12?

IThese things are never black and white. Coaches all over the region will take note and make sure they evaluate or re-evaluate the kid now. Certainly there is debate, but I'd be surprised if any Pac12 level coach would watch him and absolutely say that he's not a Pac12 level player, unequivocally. Davidson, UNI and Boise have found their share of players recently.

But a few of our fans know for sure, he's a Davidson-level player but not a Pac-12 level player.

30. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

nobody good comes out of that school