What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 FL DT Dante Sparaco (Signed to COLORADO)

And why couldn't he stay at TE?
If he can keep his athleticism while maintaining his current weight, he can. I think some people, myself included, are just saying that he seemingly has a lot of room for physical growth and with him already being 6'5" 255lbs going into his senior year, he could easily be upwards of 290-300 after a RS season, which would make him a DT/OL candidate, not TE.

Nobody said "couldn't". Typically guys that big by the time they are 17 get bigger and bigger as they go on a S&C program. A 6'5" guy that is already 250+ before his SR year of high school will get bigger. Not a lot of TE that big in college or even the NFL and the TE that are that big are very special athletes, elite.

If he can keep his athleticism while maintaining his current weight, he can. I think some people, myself included, are just saying that he seemingly has a lot of room for physical growth and with him already being 6'5" 255lbs going into his senior year, he could easily be upwards of 290-300 after a RS season, which would make him a DT/OL candidate, not TE.

That's what I'm saying though. Why does he have to bulk up that much? A good workout program can keep him around the same weight while working on speed/agility. By being that combo height/weight he could see the field sooner, rather than later.

That's what I'm saying though. Why does he have to bulk up that much? A good workout program can keep him around the same weight while working on speed/agility. By being that combo height/weight he could see the field sooner, rather than later.
He's 17 years old and hasn't even touched a D1 S&C program. The point, as big Jim pointed out, is that kids that big aren't likely to maintain that weight once he gets into college. They would almost have to have him on a strict diet to do so, and honestly, he isn't an elite enough athlete to consider that option, IMO. That doesn't mean he can't end up being a great player for this program, though.

Gronkowski

6'6" 265

Pretty darn good TE

Perfect example of a freakishly elite athete even at the NFL level. Kellen Winslow was listed at 6'5" 250lb several decades ago. Tony Gonzalez 6'5" 247lb. Antonio Gates 6'4" 255. The best to ever play the game were all about the same size as fully developed men and were the best athletes of their day in the NFL.

No reason. It's always been a question of how his body develops. Dude just keeps getting bigger. Plus, if you look at his HS career his most productive season was when he played OLB as an underclassman at Glenwood Springs. He has switched from QB to TE and this will be his 2nd year working there. But that DE/DT spot may be where he ends up in college.

Nik can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Sparaco earned his offer after being a standout on defense at CU's camp.

Nik can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Sparaco earned his offer after being a standout on defense at CU's camp.

That is correct. It may have been the first time he worked anywhere except QB and he impressed.

Most people around the program are expecting at least 1 guy from Sparaco and Olver to end up on defense instead of TE.

After basically one year at the position.

Exactly. We're getting way off topic in a recruit's thread here. But I think the salient point is that when you recruit athletes there has to be an effort by both the player and the coaches to find the spot that best suits his abilities instead of having the coaches force him into a depth chart gap or the player being resistant to playing certain positions. Both sides made that error in Kasa's case and it didn't do him or the team any favors.

So apparently IMG will be coming to Va. Beach to play the Beach's mercenary private school, Bishop Sullivan. If it it's not scheduled on a day the twins have volleyball, will have to go to catch a glimpse of Dante.

I think the concern about te is about his hands. If he can improve on that aspect he can end up there but we need more athleticism on the defensive line and he really impressed leavitt and co when they tried him on that side. Besides, how often do we even use the tight end anyways

I think the concern about te is about his hands. If he can improve on that aspect he can end up there but we need more athleticism on the defensive line and he really impressed leavitt and co when they tried him on that side. Besides, how often do we even use the tight end anyways

How about we use a big TE on every running play!

I just love the idea that we have kids coming in who are good enough athletes to discuss playing at various positions at the P5 level.

When Dante gets here he will have the opportunity to work with the coaches and will end up at the position that is best for him and the team.

I don't get why people are so hesitant at the idea. The last recruited TE who was asked to bulk up and switch to OL at CU worked out pretty well...

Back