What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 NV QB Tate Martell (Verbal to Ohio State)

I don't see how you can come to that conclusion on his favorite when all he said was Top 3 for Cal and basically said the same thing plus more on CU. OSU is definitely in his top 3 and widely considered the heavy favorite and the tOSU staff still feels very good about their chances. I think he's just kept the LA schools in there for fun, tOSU basically has them beat in everything he wants. But I think CU presents an intriguing opportunity for him and he just likes Spav a lot so he's kept Cal in the running, and both schools present a great opportunity at playing early and I think he's still uncertain on just how important that is to him (probably a lot in the end).

The "plus more" you speak of is the obvious stipulation that comes with CU--"gotta grab other guys to go with you though." The only school he firmly said was in the top 3 was Cal. I don't see tOSU as the favorite because he likely thinks that they'll have the shortest leash due to the Braxton/Cardale/JT Barrett saga. Then throw in that it's the only non-P12 left. My bet is he's keeping them & USC in for the ego boost. With UCLA, he talks about having to take a redshirt yr but, there were no stipulations with Cal. They just had the #1 pick, they're going to give him the PT, & he doesn't feel he needs to bring guys with him. So, that's how I came to the conclusion of Cal being the current favorite but that can all change with a great OV in Boulder & guys wanting to follow him.

Cal's OC (Spavital) was who Martell committed to at aTm. He was promoted when Kingsbury left for TTU and is tight with him. Basically, we're looking at the potential of losing both Webb and Martell because Cal hired an OC/QB coach who failed miserably at aTm and caused a mass exodus of QB transfers from the program.

The "plus more" you speak of is the obvious stipulation that comes with CU--"gotta grab other guys to go with you though." The only school he firmly said was in the top 3 was Cal. I don't see tOSU as the favorite because he likely thinks that they'll have the shortest leash due to the Braxton/Cardale/JT Barrett saga. Then throw in that it's the only non-P12 left. My bet is he's keeping them & USC in for the ego boost. With UCLA, he talks about having to take a redshirt yr but, there were no stipulations with Cal. They just had the #1 pick, they're going to give him the PT, & he doesn't feel he needs to bring guys with him. So, that's how I came to the conclusion of Cal being the current favorite but that can all change with a great OV in Boulder & guys wanting to follow him.
There was no stipulation with OSU either. You may not see them as the favorite, but that's what is generally believed, seems like your developing your own opinions and applying it to the situation rather than going off what has been reported from sources on the situation in the past. The inside scoop is that OSU is the favorite right now and Tate basically suggested so last week when he said "that's the school that people consider my leader". Recently the OSU 247 said this, "The feeling right now is that among Martell’s final five, Ohio State, Cal, USC, UCLA and Colorado, the Buckeyes are the leader. I would agree with that - right now. I am told there is some confidence among the Ohio State staff that they have a good chance to get Martell in the end. However, one thing to keep in mind is what I have mentioned previously. Martell is not a predictable guy." Probably best not to try to predict him really.

Main drawback for him with OSU is that behind Barrett are 2 freshman QBs they're really high on... especially the true freshman Haskins.

There was no stipulation with OSU either. You may not see them as the favorite, but that's what is generally believed, seems like your developing your own opinions and applying it to the situation rather than going off what has been reported from sources on the situation in the past. The inside scoop is that OSU is the favorite right now and Tate basically suggested so last week when he said "that's the school that people consider my leader". Recently the OSU 247 said this, "The feeling right now is that among Martell’s final five, Ohio State, Cal, USC, UCLA and Colorado, the Buckeyes are the leader. I would agree with that - right now. I am told there is some confidence among the Ohio State staff that they have a good chance to get Martell in the end. However, one thing to keep in mind is what I have mentioned previously. Martell is not a predictable guy." Probably best not to try to predict him really.

Yeah, that's like what people do?

The second bolded quote is about as political of a statement as a teenage recruit can get. Props to Tate for phrasing it that way but he didn't say that's his leader, he said that's what other people would consider his leader. Also, the source of this take is OSU 247. Then, it throws water on the whole take by finishing with the "not a predictable guy" statement which makes this opinion as worthless as everyone else's. At least my take isn't biased to my school allegiance. And all I said was I think Cal is his current favorite. I didn't say that's where he's going. You can get hot about it if you want but it's probably not best to believe every little blurb you read without using critical thinking skills.

Cal's OC (Spavital) was who Martell committed to at aTm. He was promoted when Kingsbury left for TTU and is tight with him. Basically, we're looking at the potential of losing both Webb and Martell because Cal hired an OC/QB coach who failed miserably at aTm and caused a mass exodus of QB transfers from the program.
This is what is nonsensical. The guy was a failure at aTm. Bizarre that he's selling himself as Johnny QBs great teacher.

Yeah, that's like what people do?

The second bolded quote is about as political of a statement as a teenage recruit can get. Props to Tate for phrasing it that way but he didn't say that's his leader, he said that's what other people would consider his leader. Also, the source of this take is OSU 247. Then, it throws water on the whole take by finishing with the "not a predictable guy" statement which makes this opinion as worthless as everyone else's. At least my take isn't biased to my school allegiance. And all I said was I think Cal is his current favorite. I didn't say that's where he's going. You can get hot about it if you want but it's probably not best to believe every little blurb you read without using critical thinking skills.
I just don't understand speculating Cal is his leader based on basically nothing in a recruit thread, there is nothing to suggest it. Little blurb is hilarious, It's not like I have only one source, I follow the 3 main recruiting sites pretty religiously and I'm just stating what's consistently reported. But whatever, I'll take several national sources over your baseless speculation and there's doesn't come with crying when their take is questioned. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Boulder sells a lot of people immediately. We all know it's the best college town in America and the most beautiful campus in America. We'll see what happens when he visits. Until he's visited all his finalists none of the speculation means all that much. He seems like a bright kid. He knows we're moving in the right direction and he knows he and a few of his friends can make that happen even faster.

Last edited:
Boulder sells a lot of people immediately. We all know it's the best college town in America and the most beautiful campus in America. We'll see what happens when he visits. Until he's visited all his finalists none of the speculation means all that much. He seems like a bright kid. He knows we're moving in the right direction and he knows he and a few of his friends can make that happen even faster. We'll see what happens.
Yeah, it would be much more well-rounded to have the best football team in the nation again, too

I just don't understand speculating Cal is his leader based on basically nothing in a recruit thread, there is nothing to suggest it. Little blurb is hilarious, It's not like I have only one source, I follow the 3 main recruiting sites pretty religiously and I'm just stating what's consistently reported. But whatever, I'll take several national sources over your baseless speculation and there's doesn't come with crying when their take is questioned. Have a nice day.
Didn't he mention his great relationship with Spavital from previous interviews? I think Spavital was the main reason he committed to A & M. Wish I was wrong, but not sure I see it as that big of a stretch.

It will be interesting as it plays out. As many have said, he is unpredictable. Hope he wants to come to Boulder and be the guy who starts the rise. In his 4 years we could go from last place in the Pac 12 to winning it and fighting for a Natty. That is the vision that the staff has got to be selling. Put this historic program back where it belongs from a relevance, winning and championship standpoint. Kind of wish we had Mac 1 selling this one like he did in the mid 80s. We will see if this staff is up to it. MM could not do it alone or with his original staff. Maybe, just maybe, he has the staff to help him sell it now.

Didn't he mention his great relationship with Spavital from previous interviews? I think Spavital was the main reason he committed to A & M. Wish I was wrong, but not sure I see it as that big of a stretch.
I'm not saying it's a stretch, I just don't see how that interview changed anything. Spav's definitely the key for Cal, basically the only reason he's considering them based on what he's said in the past. But everything I've read since he decommitted from TAMU and even before then was OSU with Cal as a dark horse of sorts, I don't think him saying Top 3 for Cal changes that, especially since the only thing he gave for why he wouldn't consider OSU was pure speculation rather than anything Martell has said or has been reported. I mean my original comment was really on the basis that he suggested OSU wasn't a contender and Cal was the favorite going off a 5 minute interview where he praises OSU and says Top 3 for Cal, which all I'm saying, is not what's being reported, especially in that OSU is definitely a serious contender. People can believe what they want, I just don't see why I can't throw my two cents in without being accused of getting hot.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Buffalo Brad, post: 2002144, member: 152"Hope he wants to come to Boulder and be the guy who starts the rise. In his 4 years we could go from last place in the Pac 12 to winning it and fighting for a Natty. That is the vision that the staff has got to be selling. Put this historic program back where it belongs from a relevance, winning and championship standpoint. Kind of wish we had Mac 1 selling this one like he did in the mid 80s. We will see if this staff is up to it. MM could not do it alone or with his original staff. Maybe, just maybe, he has the staff to help him sell it now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Bill had the fire sell the kids and sincerity to sell the parents. I think MM's sincerity can sell the parents, but it's much more up to the assistants to reel in the big fish. MM doesn't have that fiery personality. He's definitely a likable guy, though.

Edit: Weird. The quote part isn't showing up as a quote.

I think he unintentionally gave up his top 3 at the end there. OSU, Cal, and CU. But is interest in CU, at this point, is predicated on other guys coming with him. That could change once he gets on campus though.

Damn. I wonder if he's still planning on taking his visits.
He said that he would still take visits even if he did commit somewhere in the summer. Honestly not all that surprising, we needed OSU out of the picture and he seemed too anxious to make a decision and Mond didn't seem all that high on OSU either.

He said that he would still take visits even if he did commit somewhere in the summer. Honestly not all that surprising, we needed OSU out of the picture and he seemed too anxious to make a decision and Mond didn't seem all that high on OSU either.
I wonder if OSU finally gave him an ultimatum to commit now. All we can ask for is still getting a visit and hoping the idea of starting from day one, along with seeing Boulder and the facilities give him something to think about.

if-you-ain-t-first-you-re-last-2.png

Back