What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 Recruiting wish list

CUbuff02

First post, fan of the site. Interested in members thoughts here...

Recruiting is all the rage these days for Buff fans. To be conservative, I figure we'll take another 7 recruits to top off at 27. Below are the kids that I'd like CU to get a signature from. This would be exceptional if the staff could pull this off. And, other than Calloway & Elliss, it seems like we're in the running for all of these kids.

S- Bolden
CB- Perry
DT- Rogers
TE- Falo
DT- Daniels or Elliss
SDE- Callier
CB- Calloway or Boyce

and...
DT- Schuman

Need to close with more defensive players. And... any other player(s) that want to ride this wave. The staff has a great eye for football talent. It should be a lot of fun to follow this team in the Pac 12 now.

DBs and DLs. 1 of each who can compete for a starting job in 2017 (NT for the DL).

Also need a TE and an edge pass rusher.

Beyond that, BPA.

Any combination of the awesome list of DB's and DT's we're in on, plus Eno Benjamin.

I love Fontenot but Eno has a different skill set and you can't do it with one back anyway. Our depth chart at running back is getting old.

What about the RB from Cedar Hill, K. Williams, he visited recently. That guy looks legit too. Couple of good options there. Missed on the Cedar Hill LB last week but it'd be great to build a pipeline there.

CB, S, DT.
Although with all the seniors we have at those positions, we may find that the guys behind them are pretty good, too.

Any combination of the awesome list of DB's and DT's we're in on, plus Eno Benjamin.

I love Fontenot but Eno has a different skill set and you can't do it with one back anyway. Our depth chart at running back is getting old.
Maybe I don't use the sarcasm Fontenot, but with Eno Benjamin(s), the sky's the limit for CU football.

CB, S, DT.
Although with all the seniors we have at those positions, we may find that the guys behind them are pretty good, too.

Agree, we need to fill our needs on defense. I'm hoping we can land some Top-Tier talent that can fill in immediately.

We need players who can come in and play immediately at CB/S, NT, and possibly OLB. Beyond that, best player possible. I have no doubt in my mind we pick up a player or two that we are not aware of at this point in time. Gonna be fun to see how it unfolds.

I'm hoping we don't have to fill holes with freshmen, regardless of how good they are.

We need players who can come in and play immediately at CB/S, NT, and possibly OLB. Beyond that, best player possible. I have no doubt in my mind we pick up a player or two that we are not aware of at this point in time. Gonna be fun to see how it unfolds.
I'm with Sacky, and have some faith that there are players already in the pipeline who will quickly develop into capable replacements. Still, I'd love to recruit kids with enough talent to come in and push for playing time right away. Agree with pate that we will see a recruit who will surprise all.

Not sure we need 2-deep help at OLB with Falo and McCartney starting, Moeller playing there in certain sets, and Hasselbach solidifying his place in the 2-deep. Also have Shaver as a senior, Headley coming back from injury, and White returning from his "sabbatical". Could also have Pookie back if he chooses not to go on his mission and will have Benion back into football shape. And Shamar Hamilton looks like a heck of an athlete coming in from the JUCO ranks.

I am also very high on our LBs in general for next season. Love what we've got going on the inside with Gillam, Gamboa, Lewis, Jones and - hopefully - Bisharat. Expecting LB to be the strength of the 2017 defense, so... if any true freshman cracks the 2-deep then I would say that the guy is a total stud. There isn't a hole that needs to be filled. Cracking that main rotation would be based on having NFL talent.

With limited schollies left to give out and so many potential top targets left, I could see the Buffs ending up at anywhere from 28-32 recruits. They might really have to juggle with a few recruits, seeking greyshirts or pushing them out the door. There could always be some attrition too that we don't know about. Having said that, I would guess that the priorities for The Rise would be:

* 1. Falo, TE (He would be the only one left CU would take and maybe their top target)
* 2. Elliss (1), Rogers (2), Daniels (3), Pili (4) and Schuman (5), DT (Really think CU will take two out of this group)
* 3. Cotton (1), Boldin (2), Perry (3), Calloway (4) and Boyce (5), DB (Cotton is in hopefully and would love to pull off the AZ connection. Could be between 1-3)
* 4. Chaisson, DE (Buffs in the top 6 and a longshot, but you wouldn't pass him up)
* 5. Davis (1) and Roddick (2), OL (The only way we add more here is for one of these guys. Trying really hard to buy into the Davis hype)
* 6. Benjamin (1), Williams (2) and McElroy (3), RB (I'm not sure if McElroy has a standing offer and I don't think the Buffs add another RB unless it's one of the other two)
* 7. Horton (1) and Noa (2), LB ( Probably done here, but might take one of these two)

With 23 counting towards this class already I'm going to say that the least CU ends up with is 27, but if they crush UCLA and keep steamrolling The Rise maybe it gets inside the heads of these kids and the Buffs hit a grand slam. It would surprise me, but not shock me to see CU end up with Falo, Rogers, Daniels, Cotton, Perry, Boldin, Chaisson and maybe Benjamin. That would create a buzz not heard in a long time in Boulder... THE RISE!!!

With limited schollies left to give out and so many potential top targets left, I could see the Buffs ending up at anywhere from 28-32 recruits. They might really have to juggle with a few recruits, seeking greyshirts or pushing them out the door. There could always be some attrition too that we don't know about. Having said that, I would guess that the priorities for The Rise would be:

* 1. Falo, TE (He would be the only one left CU would take and maybe their top target)
* 2. Elliss (1), Rogers (2), Daniels (3), Pili (4) and Schuman (5), DT (Really think CU will take two out of this group)
* 3. Cotton (1), Boldin (2), Perry (3), Calloway (4) and Boyce (5), DB (Cotton is in hopefully and would love to pull off the AZ connection. Could be between 1-3)
* 4. Chaisson, DE (Buffs in the top 6 and a longshot, but you wouldn't pass him up)
* 5. Davis (1) and Roddick (2), OL (The only way we add more here is for one of these guys. Trying really hard to buy into the Davis hype)
* 6. Benjamin (1), Williams (2) and McElroy (3), RB (I'm not sure if McElroy has a standing offer and I don't think the Buffs add another RB unless it's one of the other two)
* 7. Horton (1) and Noa (2), LB ( Probably done here, but might take one of these two)

With 23 counting towards this class already I'm going to say that the least CU ends up with is 27, but if they crush UCLA and keep steamrolling The Rise maybe it gets inside the heads of these kids and the Buffs hit a grand slam. It would surprise me, but not shock me to see CU end up with Falo, Rogers, Daniels, Cotton, Perry, Boldin, Chaisson and maybe Benjamin. That would create a buzz not heard in a long time in Boulder... THE RISE!!!
Horton dropped CU for CSU, so I uh.. wouldn't put any hope there. Javier Edwards would be one to include at DT, even if he's a longshot, he is planning to visit and we could really use a JUCO NT.

Wish list left is any 2-3 of the DT's buffs are in on . Falo and a couple top db's. A legit rb wouldn't hurt.

Have a question but didn't know if it was worthy of a new thread. I don't much about the machinations of recruiting.

So we put out all these offers. What happens if a bunch of kids accept for a position group we don't need a lot of kids for and then a big need goes unmet cuz the schollies are used up? Do we pull offers? Do we back off actively recruiting them (i.e. few if any email/tweets/phone calls etc)?

Thanks.

Have a question but didn't know if it was worthy of a new thread. I don't much about the machinations of recruiting.

So we put out all these offers. What happens if a bunch of kids accept for a position group we don't need a lot of kids for and then a big need goes unmet cuz the schollies are used up? Do we pull offers? Do we back off actively recruiting them (i.e. few if any email/tweets/phone calls etc)?

Thanks.
In short, schools offer many more kids than they have positions and scholarships for. They have to, because they won't get everyone they want, regardless.
If a school offers three guys at the same position and the first choice seems interested, but doesn't bite, and the second says yes, coaches can decide to accept his commitment or not. They may say "Yep, you are our guy" and that's that. Or ... They can slow-play him ... leading him on, so to speak, or truthfully tell him they have a couple other players they have to hear from, and to keep their options open. Often times, coaches will let potential players know that while it's understood they have a lot to decide, if another player commits at that position, their offer can be rescinded. (The offer can also be rescinded if any bad publicity, legal entanglements etc. show up.) So if the third player says on January 27th or whatever, yeah, I've made up my mind ... either the school has saved a spot for an elite surprise, or they haven't.

Of course, some schools have been known to accept a commitment from an athlete, and then drop him late in the season if their heart's desire suddenly shows interest. Generally considered worse than bad form, it puts athletes in a bad spot, if the athlete accepts a spot in good faith and doesn't waiver. (By the way, CU is not known to do this.) But the reality is scholarship offers and commitments are very fluid on both the part of schools and individual athletes until papers are signed and delivered on signing day in Feb. Some of the more "competitive" schools (think SEC) have been known to fail to sign letters of intent at the last minute, leaving a player without good options. If they get a better recruit, they take him, and let their first offer figure it out.

Based on the number of guys who end up in our Recruit Index every year versus the number of guys who actually sign with CU, the basic rule of thumb is that we'll miss on or move off from 85-90% of recruits. Got to have thin skin to follow this process and not get hopes up too high on anyone.

Seems the process is really geared for 4-5* or kids who really know where they want to go and commit early.

Seems the process is really geared for 4-5* or kids who really know where they want to go and commit early.
The 4 and 5 star prospects drive the process, regardless. If you're good enough, those offers will stay open right up to signing day. It's the solid 3* commits who have more pressure on them to commit early and claim their scholarship.

The 4 and 5 star prospects drive the process, regardless. If you're good enough, those offers will stay open right up to signing day. It's the solid 3* commits who have more pressure on them to commit early and claim their scholarship.

The superstars drive every process in a bottom line world. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone when it comes to recruiting.

But those top tier players are also the ones most likely to switch commitments at the last minute, creating a domino effect for better or worse. If a quarterback (for example) has been committed for two years, and in January, late in the process, a higher ranked QB commits to the same school, the first quarterback may decide he has a better chance of playing, starting or just being a quarterback, at another school with greater needs. So everything can move at that point, which is always interesting. Players have changed their minds standing in front of the fax machine on signing day. And they are entitled to, as long as there's a school out there who has a scholarship available and still wants them.

Back