What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 TX OG Xavier Newman (Signed to Baylor)

I watched a few minutes of DeSoto last night during CU's half time. Holy **** this guy is awesome. I watched one drive, and he was opening up holes that you could drive a car through. Very, very excited to have him here. Also the announcers mentioned CU about 4 times in 5 mintues (oddly not about our current recruits, but about other guys we may have offered).

Sitting here watching 'Recruiting Nation' on ESPN. Luginbill did a bit on Newman as the #2 C in the nation, committed to Colorado, and raved about how he plays to the whistle and buries guys even when the play is going away from him. Film looked nasty.

Sitting here watching 'Recruiting Nation' on ESPN. Luginbill did a bit on Newman as the #2 C in the nation, committed to Colorado, and raved about how he plays to the whistle and buries guys even when the play is going away from him. Film looked nasty.

Saw that. Nice. We're going to have a dominating line when the incoming guys get up to speed.

Big time player! What a great flip by the staff. Future center?

Good possibility. I can see him getting his PT at OG until Lynott graduates and then sliding over to C for a year or two. Probably the spot he projects to for the NFL, just like Lynott. And as I've said before, in college football I think C is actually the most important position on the OL due to blitz pickup, twists, etc., making the right calls and being able to both control a NT and get to the 2nd level being a rare package at the college level. Having a C who can do all that really takes an OL to the next level.

I know it's too early to tell, but I have wondered privately if he's good enough to step right in at center and we end up leaving Lynott at guard.

He's kinda like Gurode, pretty sure he could do either though.

You'd be okay either way.

Probably best to start out with Lynott at center, easier from the standpoint that he has a couple years knowledge of the offense. Let Newman just concentrate on destroying his man for a year or two.

Would add to his pro value to show success at multiple positions.

Newman looked good in Under Armor game today playing at center. Both he and Polley are big strong guys that have the body to step in and play day 1 IMO. Would be great to get if Irwin comes back to have Polley and Newman play at the guard positions and see if Lynott can man the center spot. Otherwise Newman could start there, Lynott sticks at RG, Polley competes with Kough to start at LG.

You'd be okay either way.

Probably best to start out with Lynott at center, easier from the standpoint that he has a couple years knowledge of the offense. Let Newman just concentrate on destroying his man for a year or two.

Would add to his pro value to show success at multiple positions.
True, I can see that as a possibility.

I'm not going to say any of the incoming lineman have no chance to play early but for Newman to play he would have to beat out either Kough (LG) 5th yr senior, Huckins who is likely the frontrunner for the Center position and another 5th yr senior and then at RG where Timmy Lynott was just a freshman all american. At LT with Irwin unless he gets injured he'll be the starter there. RT could be up in the air a bit although Haigler had a good year and there is also another 5th year senior there with Kronshage. Also at tackle there is Dillion Middlemiss and Isaac Miller who will be RS sophomores and Klayton Adams has said he really likes what he's seen from those 2. I think at one time not that long ago you would have seen these lineman play early but given the depth and experience that Mac and this staff has built up on the OL I think we'll see them all RS which is ultimately better for them and CU in the future.

I'm not going to say any of the incoming lineman have no chance to play early but for Newman to play he would have to beat out either Kough (LG) 5th yr senior, Huckins who is likely the frontrunner for the Center position and another 5th yr senior and then at RG where Timmy Lynott was just a freshman all american. At LT with Irwin unless he gets injured he'll be the starter there. RT could be up in the air a bit although Haigler had a good year and there is also another 5th year senior there with Kronshage. Also at tackle there is Dillion Middlemiss and Isaac Miller who will be RS sophomores and Klayton Adams has said he really likes what he's seen from those 2. I think at one time not that long ago you would have seen these lineman play early but given the depth and experience that Mac and this staff has built up on the OL I think we'll see them all RS which is ultimately better for them and CU in the future.
We have experience, but that line got pushed around late in the season. A few of those guys need to improve to keep their jobs IMO.

Back