What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

1971 Mens BB, what happened?

They should've but if football were doing well, most of the fanbase would be more than content with that IMO with having no basketball team of significance. This is only the third year I believe that men's basketball has even profitable.

Agreed, it's tough to make $ in hoops for any school and I get that $ goes to the sport that pays the bills....football. But even the CEC was rough as recently as 4 years ago. The old "club room" was a joke. That's also a reason I hope that CU fans appreciate the role that Bzdelik played in getting CU hoops to where it is right now.

I can't believe that OSU's arena was so small. explains why it was so hard to get tickets

I can't believe that OSU's arena was so small. explains why it was so hard to get tickets
One reason I hope Coors is never expanded to like 15000. It's great seeing the support, but for years 11k was too big. The general admission seats opposite from where the students sit now used to be completely empty. Creating some demand is a good thing IMO.

One reason I hope Coors is never expanded to like 15000. It's great seeing the support, but for years 11k was too big. The general admission seats opposite from where the students sit now used to be completely empty. Creating some demand is a good thing IMO.

Yeah, UVA's JPJ is incredible. Seats close, loud, but it is a bummer when a great 12k or 13k crowd shows up and you've got 2-3k empty seats. I'd want CU to think long and hard before ever going above about 13k

Agreed, it's tough to make $ in hoops for any school and I get that $ goes to the sport that pays the bills....football. But even the CEC was rough as recently as 4 years ago. The old "club room" was a joke. That's also a reason I hope that CU fans appreciate the role that Bzdelik played in getting CU hoops to where it is right now.
I appreciate what Bzdelik did. He's a good program builder, he hasn't been able to take his teams to the next level though. Maybe he'll do it at Wake. If his friend wasn't AD, he'd likely be gone however.

Yeah, UVA's JPJ is incredible. Seats close, loud, but it is a bummer when a great 12k or 13k crowd shows up and you've got 2-3k empty seats. I'd want CU to think long and hard before ever going above about 13k
The current capacity should remain about the same, just add luxury boxes to the ceiling if they can sell. An unnecessary evil I look at it, since I like the own tiered seating and lack of classism currently there.

I appreciate what Bzdelik did. He's a good program builder, he hasn't been able to take his teams to the next level though. Maybe he'll do it at Wake. If his friend wasn't AD, he'd likely be gone however.

I find it annoying when people state Bzdelik's 36-58 record here and provide no context, acting like it was a huge failure. Bzdelik laid some serious groundwork. I have no idea where we'd be right now if Bzdelik was in charge, but he was going to break out in 2010-11.

I find it annoying when people state Bzdelik's 36-58 record here and provide no context, acting like it was a huge failure. Bzdelik laid some serious groundwork. I have no idea where we'd be right now if Bzdelik was in charge, but he was going to break out in 2010-11.
I do as well. Bohn even said during the 2nd year, it wasn't about the wins/losses while they were revitalizing the basketball program. I actually wrote to Bohn when Wake was courting him, how much I wanted Bzdelik to stay, not knowing how good Tad would be of course.

Talent ultimately wins out in sports and I'm sure in 2010-11, he would've done similarly to Boyle, maybe even better? But long-term results, I'm happy Boyle is here and Bzdelik isn't, but who really knows. Like Boyle said in the SI article, timing is everything -- if he doesn't have that great year at Northern CO, Bohn doesn't hire him here.

Agreed, it can't be said enough that Bzdelik had it written into his contract that the practice facilities must be built. With CU's recent budget woes does anybody think that project doesn't get shelved if CU wasn't contractually obligated to do it?

Agreed, it can't be said enough that Bzdelik had it written into his contract that the practice facilities must be built. With CU's recent budget woes does anybody think that project doesn't get shelved if CU wasn't contractually obligated to do it?
Wasn't there real concern it wasn't actually going to get built or am I misremembering things? Bzdelik gets more credit than Bohn in terms of actually get that built IMO.

Wasn't there real concern it wasn't actually going to get built or am I misremembering things? Bzdelik gets more credit than Bohn in terms of actually get that built IMO.

You are remembering correctly. Bohn put a shovel in the ground to make the date stipulated in Buzz's contract despite the funding not being there at the time.

You are remembering correctly. Bohn put a shovel in the ground to make the date stipulated in Buzz's contract despite the funding not being there at the time.
Yeah Bohn gets credit, just Bzdelik gets more. He told Peterson and Bohn, that their facilities needed to be better and I doubt he comes here without it in his contract.

Tartan, I think that's still what's there now.

The floor at Balch is actually a Mondo surface. It's been there for a while now (it was previously a Tartan surface). It's a bit harder than Tartan and other common synthetic surfaces, which helps yield better times, holds together better, and lasts longer as well. The downside is that it's as expensive as hell.

Last edited:
Dirty little secret on CU BB downfall after '69: A former DPL player, starter at CU, got a white coed pregnant and was dismissed from the squad. DPL coachs claimed it was a race-based decision and until Chauncey, no DPL coach would send their players to CU. The poisoned atmosphere made it imossible to recruit great out-of-state black talent as well. It took hiring the less-than well qualified R. Patton to restore some semblence of decent recruiting, but RP disliked Colorado kids in general (in the days before AAU, when CO HS kids played 18-20 games per season, with a two week break at Christmas, while kids in Indiana, for example, were playing 28+ and holiday tourneys). While RP and assistants could recruit (they recruited good athletes who could play BB, rather than BB players who were good athletes---e.g. players with low BB IQs. Plus, RP could not coach up players, his players often regressed and he had a DI mentality. Bz was the force behind the rebuilding. His getting Burks away from K-State was the key to the whole shebang. Without that, rebuilding would still likely be going on.

minus the last post, this entire thread is a great piece for anyone that questions updating facilities despite the cost. You either give up on the sport or you keep up with the times. PS - you don't give up on the sport

Nebraska: Bob Devaney Sports Center opened in 1976 with capacity of 13.6k - replaced Nebraska Coliseum which seated 4k

Nebraska called their 4000 seat game yurt a coliseum. Right, just like the overly aggressive lotion salesman at the mall's kiosk is an emporium.

Bzdelik was part of the rebuilding process, plain and simple. Both facilities and players. He was a great hire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bzdelik was part of the rebuilding process, plain and simple. Both facilities and players. He was a great hire.

I don't have a problem giving Bzdelik his due. As Cville (and others) have pointed out, who knows where we would be if he didn't make sure the facility upgrades were in his contract. That said, I'm not sure (and we will never know) if Bzdelik would be able to take us where Tad has gone. Given Tad's thinner resume, if the order had been reversed, it's hard to see him having the clout to get upgrades in place. The timing worked out pretty well with Tad being able to takeover and as seemless of a transition as possible. And then his ability to take us to new heights.

I don't have a problem giving Bzdelik his due. As Cville (and others) have pointed out, who knows where we would be if he didn't make sure the facility upgrades were in his contract. That said, I'm not sure (and we will never know) if Bzdelik would be able to take us where Tad has gone. Given Tad's thinner resume, if the order had been reversed, it's hard to see him having the clout to get upgrades in place. The timing worked out pretty well with Tad being able to takeover and as seemless of a transition as possible. And then his ability to take us to new heights.

I agree. It was the perfect order and we are fortunate Bz left when he did.

I agree. It was the perfect order and we are fortunate Bz left when he did.

Yep, Tad even said so himself without the season he had at Northern CO when he did, he's probably not a candidate at CO. And likewise, if he stays at Northern CO longer and puts up similar success, another program of CU's stature is probably looking at him. The timing worked out for all parties here plus CU actually gained money as was pointed out another thread because it cost Bzdelik $500k to depart while Tad's buyout only cost 25k.

:nod: He was a good hire at the time, and was poised for a breakout if he'd have stayed for a 4th season. Can't say I was sad to see him go though. After 3 seasons I was already growing tired of the arrogant "I'm smarter than everyone else" vibe that Bzz had. From the start Tad seemed to have more energy and passion on the recruiting trail as well.

Yep, Tad even said so himself without the season he had at Northern CO when he did, he's probably not a candidate at CO. And likewise, if he stays at Northern CO longer and puts up similar success, another program of CU's stature is probably looking at him. The timing worked out for all parties here plus CU actually gained money as was pointed out another thread because it cost Bzdelik $500k to depart while Tad's buyout only cost 25k.

I ran across this last night when I was looking up something about Bz, CU paid $270k to Air Force to buy him out. I hadn't realized/didn't remember that.

:nod: He was a good hire at the time, and was poised for a breakout if he'd have stayed for a 4th season. Can't say I was sad to see him go though. After 3 seasons I was already growing tired of the arrogant "I'm smarter than everyone else" vibe that Bzz had. From the start Tad seemed to have more energy and passion on the recruiting trail as well.
Bzdelik always seemed to have one foot out the door. In terms of his breakout 4th season, we'll never know. He probably would've done better, but look how long he's taken at Wake. Who knows if he'll get a 5th season? If his friend wasn't AD, he probably doesn't get a 4th.

I ran across this last night when I was looking up something about Bz, CU paid $270k to Air Force to buy him out. I hadn't realized/didn't remember that.
Didn't know that, even if you want to include that, CU is still $200k here. I'd imagine also in atleast his first season, probably second, Tad was also cheaper than Bzdelik would've been here.

Back