What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

1990 CU season highlights on FSN at 8pm MST

CarolinaBuff

Club Member
Club Member
I was just flipping thru the channels and saw that FSN RM has a 30-minute special on the 1990 CU football team at 8pm MST tonight.

I think I saw that last year. If it's the same program I'm remembering, I wouldn't be inclined to call it anything above sub-mediocre.

Damn, I missed it. I went to the CU/Washington game that season, still one of the best college games I've ever seen. Dion Figures broke up consecutive Mark Brunell passes in the end zone at the end of the game to preserve (I think) a 27-23 win.

There were about a gazillion future pros in that game. Colorado linebackers on the roster included Alfred, Kanavis, Ted Johnson and Chad Brown (I think). Future #1- first pick in the draft - Steve Entmann was on Washington's defensive line.

Last edited:
The show is nothing special - but since there isn't alot of other material out there about that season (for whatever reason), it's worth watching. FSN had access/rights to all University footage (like handheld cameras from the endzone) and the NBC Orange Bowl broadcast footage to cover the entire season - so no ABC side to side type footage which would be necessary for a thorough recap. A pretty bad highlight to interview ratio (i.e. you basically get a bad angle shot of an Alfred Williams tackle, then four interview clips).

Good interviews of players and coaches, but they fill alot of airtime with talking heads. McCartney can be pretty funny sometimes ("my heart dropped" when talking about Rocket's return)

That was a special season, probably not as good as the '89 team.

The buffs started 1-1-1 and almost got bumped out of the top 25. They opened in the Pigskin Classic and tied that years SEC champion Tennessee. Then they rallied to beat Stanford at the last minute at home. They lost to Illinois.

They struggled early in games that year, but with a tough running game of Hagan and Bieniemy, they wore teams out. Hagan was injured a lot early and didn't play against Mizzou in the 5th down game. We got better as the season went on and beat undefeated and #2 at the time Nebraska in Lincoln for the Big 8 crown. We closed our last two games liek a champion should by destoying OSU and KSU at home. Alfred Williams in his last home game, played some TE and caught a long pass.

We finished regualr season #1 and went to Orange bowl with rematch with Notre Dame and of course the Rocket almost broke our hearts.

Back