What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

1990 Throwback Jerseys Now Available!

I love the italicized stuff, from the wordmark to the interlock to the Ralphie logo. That was a GREAT update.

Now, just lose the current uniforms and go with the throwbacks and we'd be all set.

This is about the most contradicting thing I have heard. You do realize the throwbacks have bold and not italics right?

Go back to block style Ralphie logo. It symbolized power and tradition.

That is the key and my whole problem with changing stuff. We had something going that could have been a great tradition and they just threw it out. Tradition is nice because it isnt something that you can create, it is just somethng that happens and usually a byproduct of winning. When you start throwing it away, well then you got 3-9 and have no identity. But at least we got a few $million$ from Nike for it.

Yes. What I'd like is the template of the old uniform (black, plain and triple-stripe arms) with the logo and wordmarking (but bigger) of today. A fusion I suppose.

That is the key and my whole problem with changing stuff. We had something going that could have been a great tradition and they just threw it out. Tradition is nice because it isnt something that you can create, it is just somethng that happens and usually a byproduct of winning. When you start throwing it away, well then you got 3-9 and have no identity. But at least we got a few $million$ from Nike for it.

i think we got tricked into thinking we had to "rebrand" after the "scandal".....which is just some way for a PR firm and Nike to get paid and Bohn to make his name.

i'm a big fan of the block. at the CU bookstore on the hill, their "bargain" tees used to all have the block with just Colorado and the block Ralphie even after the switcheroo......i bought 3 of them one day, just because. i'll be sporting the block into the next decade.

I realize we achieved our greatest success with those jerseys, but we had them less than a decade right? Sorry that doesn't constitute tradition. You guys act like we had those jerseys for half a millenia a la Penn St, Texas etc. Times are changing and in these hard financial times we need the 10 mil Nike is throwing us as a test school.

I realize we achieved our greatest success with those jerseys, but we had them less than a decade right? Sorry that doesn't constitute tradition. You guys act like we had those jerseys for half a millenia a la Penn St, Texas etc. Times are changing and in these hard financial times we need the 10 mil Nike is throwing us as a test school.

yeah, hear ya, but we've been a Nike school since the early 90's not like it just happened. One of the first.

That's a little over dramatic, I don't think Nike or new uniforms are responsible for 3-9.

IIRC the new slightly italicized logo came about because Nike found that CU had slightly differently looking logos all over the place. They were the block logo, but with subtle differences in font and color which is terrible from a branding standpoint. I don't mind the slightly italicized Buff logo, I actually think it's a pretty nice looking update which is fairly subtle. The uniforms on the other hand are pretty bad.

Bull****, you cant establish tradition by wearing powder blues or maxi pads on your shoulders. The time to change isnt when things are going great, it is when dan hawkins is your coach and things are spiraling down the crapper.

Jerseys have little to no effect on winning. And less then a decade with the 90's throwbacks isn't a tradition either. We have no uniform tradition

:yeahthat:

Jerseys have little to no effect on winning. And less then a decade with the 90's throwbacks isn't a tradition either. We have no uniform tradition

and :yeahthat:

Last edited:

While we do not have jersey tradition, we do have some tradition with the Ralphie logo. It would be nice to at least leave that alone in the block-style. This probably more of my personal preference though as some of you seem to like the italicized one.

I like the old early 90's unis the best 90-94 right before the Nike switch. I'm hoping that a lot of these throwback jersey's will get sold (even though we all realize here on this board that nike could have done a better job with the stripes and text) and there will be enough positive feedback from both the players, fans and media that our team will ditch the current uniforms.

Ideally, I'd like us to keep the throwback jersey's but realize that this probably won't happen. I'd like to see us get some new ones before we go into the PAC-12 and think it would be good to start fresh and generate interest and buzz. I just hope that whatever the next ones are they will take into account the stripes and big COLORADO white text on the front. From a branding point I think the things that most people would identify the CU football team woud be the black and gold, ralphie logo on the helmet, white COLORADO text and finally stripes on the sleeves. Its important to have a brand and identity and I would like to see us finally get a uniform and stick with it like some of the other historical powerhouse schools out there. Most of the really great schools don't continue to switch their unis. Hopefully they will incorporate all of these into the next go round. Bohn needs to stand up to Nike and demand that whatever they come up with these basic things are required in the uniform and are not negotiable. If they want to expirament with materials thats fine but they don't need to F with the design and the colors.

:yeahthat:

and :yeahthat:

Ok, that's fine. So do you ****ers seriously like our current uniforms? Do you like the faded yellow look that our gold pants resemble? Do you like that you can't even read the "COLORADO" on the front of the jerseys unless there is a close up of one player because the font is so small and cluttered with other colors? Do you like the additional designs, such as the line across the chest, the shoulder pad dealios, the weird geometry on the pants, etc., which are all unnecessary?

You're right, slider, we don't have uniform tradition. We have changed uniforms for our entire history. However, we did have excellent uniforms for about 10 years from mid 80s to mid 90s and then again during the Barnett era. Why were they so awesome? To begin with, they were bold. You could read the "COLORADO" from anywhere in the stadium and even if it was blurry, it was big and clear with contrast to the jersey (white on black or black on white). The numbers were big and clear along with the "COLORADO" so that when opposing players looked up they knew exactly who was coming to hit them and they remembered it long after. They didn't have any stupid ****ing geometric shapes that make the uniform look like a stupid ****ing coloring book. The gold colors were actually gold.

If you honestly like what we have now more than the uniforms from the early 90s or 00s, then you have something wrong with your eyes...and your opinion. How can you not love this:

I keep seeing references to how bad the jerseys have been since the mid nineties. Someone tell what was wrong with these again?

colorado-chris-brown.jpg

The jerseys during the GB years were clean and classic.

Ok, that's fine. So do you ****ers seriously like our current uniforms? Do you like the faded yellow look that our gold pants resemble? Do you like that you can't even read the "COLORADO" on the front of the jerseys unless there is a close up of one player because the font is so small and cluttered with other colors? Do you like the additional designs, such as the line across the chest, the shoulder pad dealios, the weird geometry on the pants, etc., which are all unnecessary?

You're right, slider, we don't have uniform tradition. We have changed uniforms for our entire history. However, we did have excellent uniforms for about 10 years from mid 80s to mid 90s and then again during the Barnett era. Why were they so awesome? To begin with, they were bold. You could read the "COLORADO" from anywhere in the stadium and even if it was blurry, it was big and clear with contrast to the jersey (white on black or black on white). The numbers were big and clear along with the "COLORADO" so that when opposing players looked up they knew exactly who was coming to hit them and they remembered it long after. They didn't have any stupid ****ing geometric shapes that make the uniform look like a stupid ****ing coloring book. The gold colors were actually gold.

If you honestly like what we have now more than the uniforms from the early 90s or 00s, then you have something wrong with your eyes...and your opinion. How can you not love this:

ymsssr

If you honestly like what we have now more than the uniforms from the early 90s or 00s, then you have something wrong with your eyes...and your opinion. How can you not love this
i loved the GB era uni's... im disagreeing with the people who think those are ****...

I got him for you. That was a badass post.

Thanks.

Although the early 90s and 00s uniforms will always be my favorites, winning does help. I don't give a **** what we wear as long as we win.

Also, regarding our current uniforms, I forgot to mention that it is a sad thing when your uniforms look best in all white. :huh:

While the fans are wearing the 1990 throwbacks, will the team be wearing the 1980 throwbacks? Seems appropriate.

20091104__05cdlcu1ww_300.jpg

yeah, adding shade color and then a middle stripe down the numbers was the work of the devil.

yeah, adding shade color and then a middle stripe down the numbers was the work of the devil.

Agreed, although the two pictures Bups posted are still better uniforms than what we currently have, IMO.

Agreed, although the two pictures Bups posted are still better uniforms than what we currently have, IMO.

There is no denying that. But it was the primrose path to the crap they wear today...brief moment of uniform sanity under Barnett, then Nike puked on us.

While the fans are wearing the 1990 throwbacks, will the team be wearing the 1980 throwbacks? Seems appropriate.

20091104__05cdlcu1ww_300.jpg

Extend the current staff for one more season, and I think shot of the stands in the background of that picture is pretty appropriate too.

This is from the 70s and similar to the 90s without the COLORADO in front. It didn't have the number on the shoulders either.
What Nike does with the uniforms these days is appalling. They just look silly. The all white is just as ridiculous. When you have classic colors like silver and gold plus the sport color black, why would anyone think the dull all white looks great? And... the gold they use these days is horrible. Oh well, I've been griping about the uniforms since the classic 90s uniform and it falls on deaf ears. There is one other pressing matter that needs attention first and foremost and griping about that doesn't do any good either. I'm always a Buff, but things haven't been real good for a long time. I keep thinking it has to get better.

Attachments

• crop140..jpg
    crop140..jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I actually care less about the jerseys than the rest of the unis. Get our ****ing gold pants and helmets back from the 90s.

Then just use the damn font from the logo and give us block numbering in that font for the jerseys. Why is this so hard?

Back