What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2 pt. conversion question

Yes, Goodman was on the far left

OK. I can now issue my final ruling: the 2 pt. conversion was a good call by Hawkins. Had UGA lined up differently, I assume Cody would've called an audible and kicked the extra point.

Carry on. Put this :dead-horse-fast2: to rest.

I don't care if UGA only trotted out one guy to defend the PAT, it was still a horrendously stupid call by Hawkins.

But it worked, and that makes it OK, I guess. Well, for some anyway.

OK. I can now issue my final ruling: the 2 pt. conversion was a good call by Hawkins. Had UGA lined up differently, I assume Cody would've called an audible and kicked the extra point.

don't think you would be singing the same tune if Deehan dropped the pass & CU was then looking at 27-27 score -

It was Saban wasn't it? No? Not Saban? Ummmmm, was it Shanahan? No, not Shanny either? What do you mean he never advanced above the HS level of coaching football. That seems strange to me.

I can't remember what the answer was for 2-point conversions, but I know they've done statistical work on going for two and going for it on fourth down. With few exceptions, the stats say you have a better chance of winning if you go for it than if you play it safe. It's been drilled into everyone's head that you have to "do the smart thing" and punt of kick the PAT, but if there ever comes a coach who has an AD/owner that will stand behind him if he goes for it every time, I bet you'd see that team do pretty well.

don't think you would be singing the same tune if Deehan dropped the pass & CU was then looking at 27-27 score -

Maybe, but I like to think I'd be singing the same tune. Remember when Barnett called the fake punt in the CCG? I liked that call. I liked going for the FG against UGA. I like a coach who trusts his players, even when it doesn't work out.

Maybe, but I like to think I'd be singing the same tune. Remember when Barnett called the fake punt in the CCG? I liked that call. I liked going for the FG against UGA. I like a coach who trusts his players, even when it doesn't work out.

Amazing - that Barnett call was easily the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life on a football field.

Last edited:

You are ignoring the fact that IF we needed a 2 pt conversion later in the game, Hawk has one less trick in the bag by using this play when it was completely UNNECESSARY.

If you would play Goodman's odds on that 52 yard kick, I would love to be dealing you blackjack......

If you would play Goodman's odds on that 52 yard kick, I would love to be dealing you blackjack......

Actuaries, bankers and stats geeks can and will mitch and bone about successful 2-pt conversions in the 3rd qtr all day long.

The way I see it: Goodman is a 50/50 kicker and CU has got a 50/50 chance of converting two.

If Goodman really were money on gameday, then the decission framework changes.

Until then, a 2-point attempt is only stupid when it fails.

Actuaries, bankers and stats geeks can and will mitch and bone about successful 2-pt conversions in the 3rd qtr all day long.

The way I see it: Goodman is a 50/50 kicker and CU has got a 50/50 chance of converting two.

If Goodman really were money on gameday, then the decission framework changes.

Until then, a 2-point attempt is only stupid when it fails.

Cheesus. Playstation football. That's all this is. Just go ahead and try crazy stuff, because it might work. Hell, nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Cheesus. Playstation football. That's all this is. Just go ahead and try crazy stuff, because it might work. Hell, nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Football coaches at all levels are forced to make snap decisions many times during the course of a game.*

The NFL reinstated the 2 point conversion in the 90s and made "the chart" a household name.* Here's "The Chart"

TWO-POINT CONVERSION CHART
Lead PAT 2pt Trail PAT 2pt
0 X -- 0 X --
1 -- X 1 X --
2 X -- 2 -- X
3 X -- 3 X --
4 -- X 4 X --
5 -- X 5 -- X
6 X -- 6 X --
7 X -- 7 X --
8 X -- 8 X --
9 X -- 9 X --
10 X -- 10 -- X
11 -- X 11 X --
12 -- X 12 X --
13 X -- 13 X --
14 X -- 14 X --
15 X -- 15 X --
16 X -- 16 -- X
17 X -- 17 -- X
18 X -- 18 -- X
19 -- X 19 X --
20 X -- 20 X --

no- it freaking Playstation football....
stupid coaching...that extra point did CU NO GOOD .... dumb, dumb time in the game to go for 2

no, don't you understand? if a play works, that automatically makes it a smart play.

for example, punting from your own 20 yard line on first down is a smart move if the returner fumbles the ball and you recover, because you just gained like 40 yards.

no, don't you understand? if a play works, that automatically makes it a smart play.

for example, punting from your own 20 yard line on first down is a smart move if the returner fumbles the ball and you recover, because you just gained like 40 yards.

A one-pointer was enough to win and missing the two-pointer enough to tie. The probabilities of making the one versus the two makes it a no-brainer. Of course, that's why Hawkins chose his path.

Football coaches at all levels are forced to make snap decisions many times during the course of a game.*

The NFL reinstated the 2 point conversion in the 90s and made "the chart" a household name.* Here's "The Chart"

TWO-POINT CONVERSION CHART
Lead PAT 2pt Trail PAT 2pt
0 X -- 0 X --
1 -- X 1 X --
2 X -- 2 -- X
3 X -- 3 X --
4 -- X 4 X --
5 -- X 5 -- X
6 X -- 6 X --
7 X -- 7 X --
8 X -- 8 X --
9 X -- 9 X --
10 X -- 10 -- X
11 -- X 11 X --
12 -- X 12 X --
13 X -- 13 X --
14 X -- 14 X --
15 X -- 15 X --
16 X -- 16 -- X
17 X -- 17 -- X
18 X -- 18 -- X
19 -- X 19 X --
20 X -- 20 X --

"The chart" is one of the all-time dumbest things I've ever seen. It comes down to this: Do you need two points? If the answer is yes, you go for it. If the answer is no, you don't. End of discussion. End of debate. Doing anything else is catastrophically idiotic. We did not need two points in either game where we went for two. It could have cost us in both games. It didn't, so automatically several people jump to the conclusion that it was a good choice. It wasn't. Dumb is dumb, whether it works or not.

Back