What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2010 Quarterback Recruiting (Scholarship Breakdown)

totally agree with you, just trying to somewhat dissect what blackngold said.

I was expanding on what you were saying, sorry I did not make that clear. I think we'll be taking one more true QB in the class anyway.

I don't see Kiesau getting a big name QB this year, for all the reasons given earlier on why Hinder wouldn't come here. We haven't had a QB drafted in a long time, our on-the-field success in recent years on offense, we have a new OC, OL and QB coach... blah-blah-blah.

Also stated here or elsewhere, the qB position is difficult to project. See the NFL draft for busts, when picking 22 year old kids, not 18 year olds. Many qB's in NFL weren't highly recruited into college, etc.

I think Hansen, Moten, and Clark are all very good athletes and any one of them still has a chance to be a top QB. Development is key here. Whoever else Kiesau brings in will be an athlete with a good upside as well.

I honestly think he's a great recruiter, but not so great that we pull a blue-chip QB this year. I do think we pull a true QB, but there's some chance we don't in this year's small class. Aim high. If we can't pull one this year, we have Spond. If our offense improves this year and next, we will be right in the mix for a couple of blue-chippers.

Has Hansen's broken thumb slowed his development?

I only see one years difference not two.

Hansen, couldn't beat out Cody, why not move to the younger player?

This is so stupid, it makes me head hurt. The guy came in and played as a true freshman... unable to beat out the 2 year starter who also redshirted a year. Now we are giving up on him? Stupid stupid stupid stupid. Let's give the guy a Sophmore season before we label him a bust.

This is so stupid, it makes me head hurt. The guy came in and played as a true freshman... unable to beat out the 2 year starter who also redshirted a year. Now we are giving up on him? Stupid stupid stupid stupid. Let's give the guy a Sophmore season before we label him a bust.

Totally agree. Most people were ready to name Hansen the starter heading into Spring based on his performance last year and perceived "upside". Now after he didn't dominate the 2 year incumbent starter in Spring, people are ready to cast him aside for younger QBs.

It's crazy to suggest we should go with a younger guy when Hansen has had 2 starts in his true freshman year. That's already pretty damn young.

Judging from some of Kiseau's recent comments, the job is going to be Cody's anyhow. I would love to see Hansen grab the job, but I don't see it happening unless Cody goes down with an injury.

On the positive side of things, if Cody does get hurt, I'm confident that Hansen will do very well.

Judging from some of Kiseau's recent comments, the job is going to be Cody's anyhow. I would love to see Hansen grab the job, but I don't see it happening unless Cody goes down with an injury.

On the positive side of things, if Cody does get hurt, I'm confident that Hansen will do very well.

And that's okay. If Cody is the man for the job right now, then that is great. But Hansen has shown some ability. Let's give him awhile longer to develop before we decide he is a career backup.

i think he's saying why are we taking guys who probably won't be qb but selling them on CU based on a shot at playing the position (ie wasted schollies). however, these guys can play multiple other positions. i honestly think moten will have a real shot at earning a qb spot though, check out his vids.

Not what I am saying. I think Spond and Moten can both be players but they don't project to be QBs by a lot of Div 1 coaches. My concern is that CU is using QB slots on guys that are projects. You can do that once in awhile but not as an overall strategy.

In 2007 CU sign Ballenger, his only other offer is from Idaho State. The kid is a project. In 2008, CU signs Tyler Hansen, his only other offer is Idaho State (what is up with the Idaho State) - Another project. In 2009 CU signs Clark Evans, finally a player who looks like he will be a QB. Spond is playing for a team that does not like to throw the ball more than 5 times a game, when he gets to the next level he will have a lot of work to do learning all the reads in the passing game as opposed to a player that is throwing the ball 25 times a game.

CU really could be in trouble if they get hit with injuries at the QB position this year.

As Don Shula once said "Bad Luck is not having a quarterback."

Not what I am saying. I think Spond and Moten can both be players but they don't project to be QBs by a lot of Div 1 coaches. My concern is that CU is using QB slots on guys that are projects. You can do that once in awhile but not as an overall strategy.

In 2007 CU sign Ballenger, his only other offer is from Idaho State. The kid is a project. In 2008, CU signs Tyler Hansen, his only other offer is Idaho State (what is up with the Idaho State) - Another project. In 2009 CU signs Clark Evans, finally a player who looks like he will be a QB. Spond is playing for a team that does not like to throw the ball more than 5 times a game, when he gets to the next level he will have a lot of work to do learning all the reads in the passing game as opposed to a player that is throwing the ball 25 times a game.

CU really could be in trouble if they get hit with injuries at the QB position this year.

QB is the most difficult position to predict. ND got Jimmy (can't miss) Claussen. Missouri (Daniels), Texas(McCoy), OK(Bradford), Neb(Lee), etc. are starting guys who you wouldn't call BC players out of high school.
As stated previously, it is a numbers game. 2 schollie and 2 walk-on qb's this year. One of them should standout.

Our record with qb's has been one of quick turnover. BJack, Nelson, Ballenger all got a chance and were passed over.
CU has succeeded when it run's the ball. Like buffaloes (not very clever, I know).
CU has never really been an attractive place for qb's, maybe its the culture.

Last edited:

Hansen had quite a few late offers if I remember... Like from a little school called Michigan

QB is the most difficult position to predict. ND got Jimmy (can't miss) Claussen. Missouri (Daniels), Texas(McCoy), OK(Bradford), Neb(Lee), etc. are starting guys who you wouldn't call BC players out of high school.
As stated previously, it is a numbers game. 2 schollie and 2 walk-on qb's this year. One of them should standout.

Our record with qb's has been one of quick turnover. BJack, Nelson, Ballenger all got a chance and were passed over.
CU has succeeded when it run's the ball. Like buffaloes (not very clever, I know).
CU has never really been an attractive place for qb's, maybe its the culture.

I disagree about the numbers game, it has to also be quality...CU took off under Mac when they had Sal Aunese, Hagan, Stewart, Detmer. I not saying BC but they have to have some that project as QBs. Of your list...

Colt McCoy - 4 Star... threw for 48 touchdowns as a Senior and almost 4000 yards...the guy was someone who Texas wanted badly - the only knock was he played 2A in HS.

Chase Daniels - 3 Star - threw for 42 touchdowns as a Junior and 3700 yards....also rushed for 1500 yards and 18 tds. Was EA Sports National HS player of the year in 2004 and was a Parade AA. Was 2 time class 5A player of the year in Texas. Was ranked by Emfinger as the #3 QB prospect.

Sam Bradford - 4 Star recruit - Ranked the 17th best QB in the nation. He threw for 2700 yards and 19 touchdowns as a senior.

Todd Reesing 2 star- Now here is a guy who is probably the only sleeper of the bunch. Still he threw the ball for 3200 yards and 29 tds. He was the 4A player of the year in Texas...not highly recruited because of height.

The point I am trying to make is that you have find guys that have experience successfully throwing the ball in HS is you are going to have a pro set offense....it is NOT just numbers.

gotcha. but columbine is supposedly opening up the offense this year for spond. we'll get a nice glimpse of what he can do this fall.

Don't know that we have much of shot at Graham, but he is my #1 choice at QB now.

Looking to me that we will have Spond (athlete) and try real hard to get Graham. Nottingham is a possibility if he impresses this week (assuming he is here). Both are tall pro-style drop back guys.

The other QB's we've offered aren't too likely coming here. Of course, a big time season would change all that.

I think Kiesau likes Hansen, Moten, Clark and Spond enough to maybe be patient here. I am feeling they will only take a QB if it's a guy with a high ceiling such as Graham.
These four guys mentioned above could all potentially play elsewhere if they ended up down the depth chart, which is a bit unusual.

CU isn't really in a position to be happy with what we have at QB. Reality is, Moten and Spond will probably not end up playing QB, Hansen never projected as a guy with spectacular talent - although personally I like him as a player - and Clark Evans is an entirely unknown commodity. Hawkins, at this point, is what he is, in my opinion. Our QB situation is pretty dire, as far as I am concerned.

I think that Clark Evans will ultimately end up getting a shot to start here. I don't see us getting a supremely talented QB in this next class; the fact is, most highly regarded QBs are either already committed or are deciding from a group of schools that generally does not include CU.

My point? I think CU desperately needs to bring in a blue chip QB. I don't think they will. That means they need to continue to work hard to bring in more guys like Clark Evans who, at the very least, have a higher ceiling than the guys currently contending for PT.

I honestly don't understand why this staff has struggled so much to bring in a blue chip QB at least once. But if they can't pull in the four or five star guys, they need to take what comes their way with guys who at least have the talent to be middle-of-the-road B12 guys. IMO we don't have one of those guys on our roster currently, (not including guys who aren't actual members of the team yet).

CU isn't really in a position to be happy with what we have at QB. Reality is, Moten and Spond will probably not end up playing QB, Hansen never projected as a guy with spectacular talent - although personally I like him as a player - and Clark Evans is an entirely unknown commodity. Hawkins, at this point, is what he is, in my opinion. Our QB situation is pretty dire, as far as I am concerned.

I think that Clark Evans will ultimately end up getting a shot to start here. I don't see us getting a supremely talented QB in this next class; the fact is, most highly regarded QBs are either already committed or are deciding from a group of schools that generally does not include CU.

My point? I think CU desperately needs to bring in a blue chip QB. I don't think they will. That means they need to continue to work hard to bring in more guys like Clark Evans who, at the very least, have a higher ceiling than the guys currently contending for PT.

I honestly don't understand why this staff has struggled so much to bring in a blue chip QB at least once. But if they can't pull in the four or five star guys, they need to take what comes their way with guys who at least have the talent to be middle-of-the-road B12 guys. IMO we don't have one of those guys on our roster currently, (not including guys who aren't actual members of the team yet).

The reason we can't get blue chip QBs in here IMO is Cody.

The staff can talk until they're blue in the face about how the best QB will play and even if that's true (and I believe it is), the perception for HS kids coming in is that no one is unseating the coach's son. It's way too easy for other schools to point out this fact if they are going head to head with us for top QBs.

I love Cody, I just don't see us landing any blue chip QBs until he graduates.

The Cody situation should not be affecting recruiting anymore. Any kid that signs in the 2010 class is going to be redshirting when Cody is a senior, so that excuse goes out the window. We have not landed a blue chip QB because the offense has mostly been crap for the past three seasons and the staff has failed to get the job done on the recruiting trail. The Cody situation may have something to do with it, but I'm thinking that goes out the window if we're a top 20 offensive team over the past few seasons. If we have to wait until Cody graduates to get a blue chip QB, the staff has not done a good job. Plain and simple.

I'm sure the staff has not given up on Hinder yet. If CU has a 9-10 win season this year, I think they have a lot of ammo to go back to Austin and try to get him to change his mind. Remember he had said he was going to commit prior to the beginning of the season. If CU has a breakout type year, he might be persuaded to stay closer to home, particularly if there's any indication that Cal might be slipping.

I'm sure the staff has not given up on Hinder yet. If CU has a 9-10 win season this year, I think they have a lot of ammo to go back to Austin and try to get him to change his mind. Remember he had said he was going to commit prior to the beginning of the season. If CU has a breakout type year, he might be persuaded to stay closer to home, particularly if there's any indication that Cal might be slipping.

I know we have had Givens and Kasa switch late in the process, but let me just say I would say there is a 99.9% chance that Hinder does not change his commitment. Givens and Kasa had at least given us some indication that they liked us. I'm not even sure we were in Hinder's top five toward the end. He is a Cal legacy and he will not be a Buff.

The Cody situation should not be affecting recruiting anymore. Any kid that signs in the 2010 class is going to be redshirting when Cody is a senior, so that excuse goes out the window. We have not landed a blue chip QB because the offense has mostly been crap for the past three seasons and the staff has failed to get the job done on the recruiting trail. The Cody situation may have something to do with it, but I'm thinking that goes out the window if we're a top 20 offensive team over the past few seasons. If we have to wait until Cody graduates to get a blue chip QB, the staff has not done a good job. Plain and simple.

Exactly. I never really bought into the Cody being a recruiting disaster theory, but it was starting to look like it was true. But the way this recruiting cycle is shaping up makes it look irrelevant. Cody is now out of the equation and nothing appears to be changing.

Big time QB recruits want a program that will put them on track for the NFL. They are going to look at:

1. The offense the team runs
2. Surrounding talent that makes them look good
3. Coaching
4. The program's track record at landing QBs in the NFL.

Our offense the last few years has looked like a cluster**** way too often. I like the sound of what is being proposed for 2009, but if it really is a power running attack I'm not sure it attracts QB recruits.

We've discussed the WR issue to death here. Recruits see what we do, and our WR corps isn't going to excite a premium QB prospect.

I don't think Hinder going to Cal is all about being a legacy, although I think it was a big factor. But the fact is, Tedford is regarded as a QB guru. Not sure why, since Cal's QB play hasn't been all that great aside from Rogers. But the perception is out there. Hawkins and Kiesau don't bring that track record in putting QBs in the pros. That is undoubtedly a factor working against them. It doesn't mean they can't, but somebody with the tools is going to have to give them that chance.

And CU, historically, doesn't have a great history of pro QBs to point to. Aside from Koy, there hasn't been an NFL Qb from CU in the last 25 years to speak of. It just doesn't put the program on recruits radar screens the way we want it to be.

As for Hinder, I remain skeptical about whether he is all he is hyped to be. Maybe he's being held back by the talent available in Steamboat in terms of receivers, etc. But the fact remains that people who have seen him in person regularly don't exactly rave about him. That said, I would still be pretty happy to see CU get another shot at him. But like BB I don't expect it... :huh:

Exactly. I never really bought into the Cody being a recruiting disaster theory, but it was starting to look like it was true. But the way this recruiting cycle is shaping up makes it look irrelevant. Cody is now out of the equation and nothing appears to be changing.

Big time QB recruits want a program that will put them on track for the NFL. They are going to look at:

1. The offense the team runs
2. Surrounding talent that makes them look good
3. Coaching
4. The program's track record at landing QBs in the NFL.

Our offense the last few years has looked like a cluster**** way too often. I like the sound of what is being proposed for 2009, but if it really is a power running attack I'm not sure it attracts QB recruits.

We've discussed the WR issue to death here. Recruits see what we do, and our WR corps isn't going to excite a premium QB prospect.

I don't think Hinder going to Cal is all about being a legacy, although I think it was a big factor. But the fact is, Tedford is regarded as a QB guru. Not sure why, since Cal's QB play hasn't been all that great aside from Rogers. But the perception is out there. Hawkins and Kiesau don't bring that track record in putting QBs in the pros. That is undoubtedly a factor working against them. It doesn't mean they can't, but somebody with the tools is going to have to give them that chance.

And CU, historically, doesn't have a great history of pro QBs to point to. Aside from Koy, there hasn't been an NFL Qb from CU in the last 25 years to speak of. It just doesn't put the program on recruits radar screens the way we want it to be.

As for Hinder, I remain skeptical about whether he is all he is hyped to be. Maybe he's being held back by the talent available in Steamboat in terms of receivers, etc. But the fact remains that people who have seen him in person regularly don't exactly rave about him. That said, I would still be pretty happy to see CU get another shot at him. But like BB I don't expect it... :huh:

YMSSR. Agree on everything. Your point about QBs looking for a path to the NFL is 100% correct. Any program that can point to recent successes in placing QBs into the NFL has a leg up in recruiting. Hopefully the offense take some big steps forward this year. I think we can be an attractive option for pro-style QBs looking for a team running a pro-style offense, but the coaches need to prove they know what they're doing.

A blue chip ain"t coming until we develop a good offense.

I don't understand the idea of putting Clark before Moten, Hansen, or Spond. The NFL has more QB's that were lightly recruited than blue chippers. CU has to develop someone and these guys are all athletic enough. There is a fair amount of risk that Hinder doesn't pan out and there's more than one scout out there who likes Spond's ceiling. I for one like the odds that we have a solid 3 year starter in this group.

Back