What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2010: Talent Gain or Talent Drain?

Regarding Hirschman, he was very solid with the Buffs as soon as he accepted the offer. He left the USC camp as soon as he said yes. Then, Oregon State and Arizona tried to get him away and he told them not to bother. All the interest in Hirschman was generated this past summer and during his senior season because his junior tape was pretty bad. Awful footwork, mediocre accuracy, a long windup throwing the ball, and 20 lbs overweight. He fixed all that stuff working with the QB coach Johnson and was a different player this year.

It's a different story (excuse) for every recruit, it seems. He committed early, he was injured, he had questionable grades, ect...

There are a lot of athletes who commit early, were injured or had questionable grades and still had at least once FBS school offer him.

It's a different story (excuse) for every recruit, it seems. He committed early, he was injured, he had questionable grades, ect...

There are a lot of athletes who commit early, were injured or had questionable grades and still had at least once FBS school offer him.

Listen, some of this sounds like excuses, but in the case of the three players I mentioned, it is very true. Hirschman and Slavin especially were the biggest locks in the entire class when they committed. There was never a chance they were going elsewhere. Uzo-Diribe had a couple Pac-10 schools trying to visit in January and he said no. You want to call those excuses, so be it, but the recruitment of those three players specifically was more complex than you want to admit.

Again, you act like those 3 commitments to Colorado were the only locks in the country. I can find you players in the Big12 who committed to their schools around the same time Hirschman and Slavin did, never wavered, took no other visits, and still have multiple offers from not only FBS teams, but BCS teams.

There are. And I don't think anyone is going to make the argument that our class was the result of winning recruiting battles with multiple BCS programs. We've got a bunch of guys who developed late, had academic issues, need time to develop, are a couple inches shorter than you would like, or are coming off an injury. Some of them fall into more than 1 of those categories.

You can choose to look deeper or not. I like the versatility of this class. I like how it addresses the special teams issues we've been having. I like the athleticism. And it's probably a bit of homerism on my part, but I trust this staff to find guys others miss. That's based on the success I've seen with guys like McKnight, Iltis, Cha'pelle, West, Stewart, Jalil, etc., etc.

I'm going to start a new thread & poll on this, but I'll post my opinion here. If I was going to grade this class today, I'd give it a "D". It only avoids being an "F" to me because it did a good job of filling positional needs. We didn't get our Plan "A" or "B" and maybe not "C" guys in most cases. But I also see this class as having the potential to surprise the hell out of us in a few years. We've got depth now and shouldn't have to rush anyone except maybe at Tight End and Tailback. We probably won't see these guys on the field much for the next 2 or 3 years. And it wouldn't surprise me much that a lot of these guys end up being damn good football players down the line due to their athleticism.

What more do you want me to say? Slavin had the Tennessee coaching staff contacting him in December. You think they were contacting him for the sake of contacting him? Of course not. They were interested in offering him and he told them no, so they moved on. But all you see is he got one offer from Syracuse so he sucks. He was offered immediately after CU coaches saw him at their camp. It was not an offer out of desperation.

Hirschman's lack of offers can be directly attributed to how much better he was his senior season. Teams saw his junior tape and saw the same thing: he simply did not look like a BCS-quality QB. CU took a big chance on him and were able to secure a commitment before a big senior year. I urge you to look up the difference in his stats between his junior and senior seasons. That will tell you why he had a lack of offers.

Uzo-Diribe has been playing football for two seasons. He might be the rawest recruit in the class. Again, CU took a chance on him after they had seen him in camp. Teams were contacting him late in the process to come on official visits. He would have likely ended up with offers.

Most of the rest of the class is quite different. There is no way to spin the offers to kids with few BCS offers other than to say we were extremely desperate.

Listen, some of this sounds like excuses, but in the case of the three players I mentioned, it is very true. Hirschman and Slavin especially were the biggest locks in the entire class when they committed. There was never a chance they were going elsewhere. Uzo-Diribe had a couple Pac-10 schools trying to visit in January and he said no. You want to call those excuses, so be it, but the recruitment of those three players specifically was more complex than you want to admit.

I would guess that teams looking at Hirschmann late in the recruiting cycle (after the season) might have been dissuaded a little bit from making an offer by the fact that he was ENROLLING AT CU prior to signing day...

I would guess that teams looking at Hirschmann late in the recruiting cycle (after the season) might have been dissuaded a little bit from making an offer by the fact that he was ENROLLING AT CU prior to signing day...

Wrong. I have no doubt Ed Orgeron and Lane Kiffin would find a way to get him to USC if they really wanted.

:smile2:

There are. And I don't think anyone is going to make the argument that our class was the result of winning recruiting battles with multiple BCS programs. We've got a bunch of guys who developed late, had academic issues, need time to develop, are a couple inches shorter than you would like, or are coming off an injury. Some of them fall into more than 1 of those categories.

You can choose to look deeper or not. I like the versatility of this class. I like how it addresses the special teams issues we've been having. I like the athleticism. And it's probably a bit of homerism on my part, but I trust this staff to find guys others miss. That's based on the success I've seen with guys like McKnight, Iltis, Cha'pelle, West, Stewart, Jalil, etc., etc.

I'm going to start a new thread & poll on this, but I'll post my opinion here. If I was going to grade this class today, I'd give it a "D". It only avoids being an "F" to me because it did a good job of filling positional needs. We didn't get our Plan "A" or "B" and maybe not "C" guys in most cases. But I also see this class as having the potential to surprise the hell out of us in a few years. We've got depth now and shouldn't have to rush anyone except maybe at Tight End and Tailback. We probably won't see these guys on the field much for the next 2 or 3 years. And it wouldn't surprise me much that a lot of these guys end up being damn good football players down the line due to their athleticism.

Put me in this camp, including the grade of the class.

This is probably something that has been posted somewhere, but what are the restrictions on "offers"?

Can schools just offer up as many schollies as they want, but are only limited to 25/85 accepted?

It seems you can't have an argument about who got offers from how many schools without knowing the background in which they are given.

You can offer as many scholarships as you want. Some schools throw out 300-400 offers. This CU staff goes about half that number. I believe Texas goes about half of what CU does. I don't think there's a single "right" approach.

I think Texas selects more than they recruit. I like some of the guys we got and id be surprised if at least a few of them didnt surprise us in coming years. We did add some depth at some positions, that is if we can get them all in school.

The rough thing about this flat class now is that we had a good chance to upgrade our talent, we had a medicore crew leaving getting more than that in would have been huge.

All the talk about some recruits not getting offered by ANYONE else because they committed early...look at this, it'll make you sick.

neb has a commit for 2011. He committed back in October! For the 2011 class...committing that early, I doubt he has many offers.

His offers:
Nebraska
Florida
Ohio State
Florida State
Miami
Michigan
Georgia
West Virginia
Cal
Clemson
Tennessee
Stanford

They have a QB commit. He committed a week ago. His offers:
Oklahoma
Purdue
Texas A&M
Vandy

Come on BM. Why is this even relevant? Those two guys are going to be 4* players and one of them is likely to be a top 100 player. Of course players like that are going to get tons of early offers. I do not think anyone is arguing that anyone in this class is anywhere near that level. We are merely pointing that for a select number of recruits in this class, just saying "no one offered this guy, he sucks" is a lazy analysis.

Back