What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2012-13 Bubble Watch

I really hope the real bracket shakes out differently...I don't want my 2 schools (CU and UF) to have to play each other in the 3rd round...

I really hope the real bracket shakes out differently...I don't want my 2 schools (CU and UF) to have to play each other in the 3rd round...

I don't want to have to face Florida either. The SEC sucks, but they look scary right now.

Anyone else want to get slotted in the Austin regional, and rub it in the face of those UT assholes?

I don't want to have to face Florida either. The SEC sucks, but they look scary right now.

That's the one team that I believe could shoot 50% while holding their opponent to 30%... against anyone. If they're peaking for the tournament, I wouldn't bet against Donovan and that squad.

said same thing to my buddy today. Do not want to play Florida. Especially not in a 2nd round match up. Now give us a #7/#10 and I think we could make a little run. Especially in Lunardi's MW Bracket. Say we replace VCU or Oklahoma

I hope the selection committee takes style of play into consideration this March. No one enjoys watching this "first one to 60 wins" style of basketball.

Tonight has been absolutely horrible television.

Virginia beat NC State 58-55.

Ohio State beat Wisconsin 58-49.

I feel like part of my cable bill should be refunded.

Back from the UVA game. Place was rocking, which says something considering Bennett's style. Virginia has a chance to make the Dance, they're 15-5 (5-2) and sitting tied for 2nd in the ACC. That defense will shut down the best of them, and UVA's young talent is taking off. If you don't know about Mike Tobey, Justin Anderson and Evan Nolte, you'll be learning quite soon. This will be a big boost for their RPI, but they still need good wins. Again, I left the JPJ extremely thankful that Tony Bennett is gone from Wazzu -- he would have eaten us alive considering how sloppy we are prone to being.

They are going to be a top 15 team next year, undoubtedly, with transfer Anthony Gill and another excellent recruiting class added to the mix.

Back from the UVA game. Place was rocking, which says something considering Bennett's style. Virginia has a chance to make the Dance, they're 15-5 (5-2) and sitting tied for 2nd in the ACC. That defense will shut down the best of them, and UVA's young talent is taking off. This will be a big boost for their RPI, but they still need good wins. Again, I left the JPJ extremely thankful that Tony Bennett is gone from Wazzu -- he would have eaten us alive considering how sloppy we are prone to being.

Nice win for UVA. Like I said earlier in this thread I didn't expect NCSU to win this one, but now they'll turn around and beat Miami on Saturday. Tough break with Brown going down midway thru the first half. UVA held NCSU 25 points under their average and looks like the best defensive team in the ACC and probably one of the best nationally too.

Last edited:
Nice win for UVA. Like I said earlier in this thread I didn't expect NCSU to win this one, but now they'll turn around and beat Miami on Saturday. Tough break with Brown going down midway thru the first half. UVA held NCSU 25 points under their average and looks like the best defensive team in the ACC and probably one of the best nationally too.

20 games into the season, and no team has scored more than 63 on UVA. 7 games into the ACC season, and not one team has hit 60 on UVA. Step back and think about that for a second. That's a nasty, nasty defense. Teams can't figure out Bennett's packline. UVA now has Georgia Tech and Clemson next, good chance they'll be sitting at 7-2 halfway through the ACC.

Last edited:
Kentucky pulls away from Ole Miss...no way the Wildcats miss the NCAA tournament, despite what people think

Agree 100% (tried explaining that yesterday here too :thumbsup:) Kentucky isn't missing the Dance, especially after this huge road win tonight. That was a very solid Ole Miss team they handled tonight, the Rebs entered 17-2 (6-0). Kentucky now has a really solid win for their resume and isn't in bad shape at 14-6 (5-2). Their young team is only going to improve down the stretch. They're not missing the Big Dance, and they're going to be a dangerous, dangerous opponent to a top seed in the "Third Round" (also known as the Second Round).

There are 64 D1 hoops games on tonight, with a bunch of them having an impact on the S-Curve and Bubble math.

Rather than taking the time to hunt for them all, I'll just update tonight on the ones that matter as the results come in.

Four that I've got my eye on are Iowa State @ Oklahoma State, Oklahoma @ Baylor, Villanova @ Notre Dame, and Maryland @ Florida State. The losers in these games are going to lose a lot of positioning with the winners really improving their resumes.

Villanova has really brought themselves back into the discussion with those two huge wins last week. I have my doubts about their long term viability, but they do hit an easy part of the Big East slate after tonight so they should hang around the discussion for the time being.

I'm not sure I even consider Florida State a bubble team at 11-8. They don't have "it" this year. Snaer can't do everything on his own. Still, I suppose a win over Maryland would keep them [on the fringe] of the discussion for now

Iowa State @ Oklahoma State is a big one for sure. Those two are going to be in the heart of the bubble. If Oklahoma State were to drop this one at home, they'd be in trouble.

Last edited:
Notre Dame beats Villanova 65-60 in South Bend. At 17-4 (5-3), the Irish are nearing official safety. We'll have to keep an eye on Villanova who dropped to 13-8 (4-4). Nova has 3 weaklings coming up, so they should remain in the thick of the bubble.

Michigan whipping Northwestern should end them. NW has been close to getting into the tournament and there are a ton of sports journalists who would talk them up like crazy if they were on the bubble. Maybe next year.

La Salle, which had been right on the bubble, just lost at home to UMass. UMass has a good record, but not a good resume.

Oklahoma moves into decent position with a win at Baylor. They've got a tough stretch coming up, though.

Rutgers losing at Cincinnati probably ends its slim hopes of a tourney bid.

Florida is scary good. They held South Carolina to 10 points in the 1st half tonight. :wow:

Not a bubble game as Duke is a lock and Wake would need a huge run down the stretch to get in - but Wake is up 2 on Duke with just under 8 left.

LSU beats Missouri in Baton Rouge, 73-70. Mizzou's decline under Haith is already becoming apparent. Called that the day they hired the guy. Mizzou drops to 15-5 (4-3). Mizzou's best wins are VCU and Illinois, neither of which is overly impressive at this point in time. Mizzou sucks on the road. In a weak SEC, if Mizzou stumbles a couple times to questionable opposition, they're suddenly not guaranteed anything.

Oklahoma State holds serve at home with a 78-76 win over Iowa State. Cowboys improve to 14-5 (4-3), Cyclones drop to 14-6 (4-3). These two are destined to be right on the heart of the bubble come Selection Sunday, IMO. Okie Lite's inability to win on the road makes things tough.

Missouri lost at LSU. SEC is horrible.

Oklahoma State held on for a close win over Iowa State. ISU has a lot of work to do to get on the right side of the bubble. OSU's on the right side, but could fall out still.

Maryland lost by 2 at Florida State. Right now, they both look like NIT teams to me.

Florida State beats Maryland 73-71 in Tallahassee. Even with tonight's win, FSU is still a fringe bubble team at best, IMO. Seminoles improve to 12-8 (4-3). They have a lot of work to do. Maryland is destined to be right on the bubble, and this was the type of road win they desperately needed. Terps fall to 15-6 (3-5).

I view there as being 1 NCAA Tournament spot for Virginia, Maryland or perhaps Florida State to grab. Frankly, with Virginia sitting at 15-5 (5-2) right now and improving weekly, they might be the one despite still needing to boost that RPI.

St. John's survived against DePaul in OT. The Johnnies have been surging a bit of late and would probably sneak into the tourney if the selections were made tomorrow. Their upcoming 4-game stretch (@ Georgetown, vs UConn, @ Syracuse, @ Louisville) could decide their fate.

St. John's survived against DePaul in OT. The Johnnies have been surging a bit of late and would probably sneak into the tourney if the selections were made tomorrow. Their upcoming 4-game stretch (@ Georgetown, vs UConn, @ Syracuse, @ Louisville) could decide their fate.

At the time, I was hoping we'd play St. John's and beat them in the Charleston Classic. Given how Dayton and Murray State are performing, and not even necessarily going to finish in the RPI 100, a win over a top 50 St. John's squad would have been a nice extra boost to have right now.

In case anyone missed the KSU-UT score, it was ugly. 83-57 Wildcats. KSU looks like a tourney lock. UT falls to 9-11 (1-6). I'm starting to wonder if Barnes makes it through the season before being fired.

Saint Mary's survived on the road at San Francisco. They're not as good as usual this year, but I expect them to make the tourney.

Back