What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2012 Colorado Basketball: Dayton vs Colorado Game Thread

I was impressed by the Dayton crowd there. They really traveled for this tourney. Felt like a true road game.

I am not sure of the reason, but Ohioans LOVE to relocate to and vacation in South Carolina, Hilton Head in particular. Not sure about Charleston, but I wouldn't be surprised if it followed the same trend.

I am not sure of the reason, but Ohioans LOVE to relocate to and vacation in South Carolina, Hilton Head in particular. Not sure about Charleston, but I wouldn't be surprised if it followed the same trend.

Have you been to Cleveland? You would understand why they love to relocate. Cleveland's single claim to respectability is that they aren't Detroit.

Excellent win. These are the types of victories that you're thankful for come March -- they get you on the right side of the bubble. Dayton is a solid team that will likely be in the NIT.

Very solid game from Booker. XJ is a beast and brings so much to the table for us. Scott was impressive, very nice effort on the offensive glass. Dre's scoring naturally will go down with Scott around (and he was off today), but 14 boards and 3 assists for Dre: Beast. Needs to stop the turnovers, though. Highly encouraging that we could win this with Dinwiddie being a bit off. The fact he was able to score a dozen despite being off for most of the game is fantastic. Lastly, the free throws have to improve. 58% isn't acceptable and we don't want that costing us games.

Let's keep it going tomorrow!
Go Buffs

Last edited:
Cville I agree with everything you said except for the Booker part. I don't like him playing starters minutes nor the way he is playing with the starters. He still thinks this is last year and he is the focal part of the offense when he is in the game, he seems to disrupt the flow of the offense, taking bad shots early in the shot clock and playing too fast and out of control on the break. He looks for his shot every time he gets the ball, nobody on the team seems to see realize how good Scott is when he gets the ball down low. If I were Scott I would be yelling at guys to get me the ball in the post.

Cville I agree with everything you said except for the Booker part. I don't like him playing starters minutes nor the way he is playing with the starters. He still thinks this is last year and he is the focal part of the offense when he is in the game, he seems to disrupt the flow of the offense, taking bad shots early in the shot clock and playing too fast and out of control on the break. He looks for his shot every time he gets the ball, nobody on the team seems to see realize how good Scott is when he gets the ball down low. If I were Scott I would be yelling at guys to get me the ball in the post.

I see where you're coming from, jg. Some stuff is forced by him, no doubt. I wish there was a way to keep him as the 6th man spark, but I don't see an alternative that would better suit us at this point, although it's certainly debatable. Definitely agree on needing to get Scott the ball in the post more, too.

I see where you're coming from, jg. Some stuff is forced by him, no doubt. I wish there was a way to keep him as the 6th man spark, but I don't see an alternative that would better suit us at this point, although it's certainly debatable. Definitely agree on needing to get Scott the ball in the post more, too.

What about Mayor, Chen, XJ, Dre, Scott? Don't get me wrong Ski provides some value, but his value seem to be to create when nothing else is there, with the starters that isn't needed, he could do that with more of the second unit like last year.

I know it isn't the college game like it is in the NBA, but I would love to see some isolation pick and roll with the Mayor and Scott.

Again, this is only the second game of the year, so I am clearly overreacting. But I just hope we don't see the "offense" we saw today in conf play.

What about Mayor, Chen, XJ, Dre, Scott? Don't get me wrong Ski provides some value, but his value seem to be to create when nothing else is there, with the starters that isn't needed, he could do that with more of the second unit like last year.

I know it isn't the college game like it is in the NBA, but I would love to see some isolation pick and roll with the Mayor and Scott.

Again, this is only the second game of the year, so I am clearly overreacting. But I just hope we don't see the "offense" we saw today in conf play.

I have a hunch we *might* see this before long, given what we're seeing from XJ. This is a good dilemma to have, given where we were not so long ago :thumbsup:

I have a hunch we *might* see this before long, given what we're seeing from XJ. This is a good dilemma to have, given where we were not so long ago :thumbsup:

Don't know that we've ever had this kind of quality depth before. Only teams I can think of were '02-'03 during Harrison's soph year, and '05-'06 during Roby's soph year when like 75% of the team were seniors. But those teams didn't have the talent top to bottom like the current one does.

Don't know that we've ever had this kind of quality depth before. Only teams I can think of were '02-'03 during Harrison's soph year, and '05-'06 during Roby's soph year when like 75% of the team were seniors. But those teams didn't have the talent top to bottom like the current one does.

I don't think we are as deep as a lot of other people think. I just think our starting five as an entire unit has the potential to be the most talent we have ever had on the floor at once. Our big problems is that we are very young, especially if the lineup is Spencer, Ski, XJ, Dre and Scott but we know that talent trumps experience in basketball. Behind those 5 who would be starting at a school like Arizona or UCLA?

I don't think we are as deep as a lot of other people think. I just think our starting five as an entire unit has the potential to be the most talent we have ever had on the floor at once. Our big problems is that we are very young, especially if the lineup is Spencer, Ski, XJ, Dre and Scott but we know that talent trumps experience in basketball. Behind those 5 who would be starting at a school like Arizona or UCLA?

Are you honestly asking which of our backups would start at UCLA or Arizona?

yes that is going to proove we are a deep team, when we have guys come off the bench that would be starters at other schools. I do agree that UCLA and Arizona are stupid examples, so how about Oregon State and WSU?

It makes me so happy, as crazy as it is, to see this become a discussion on AllBuffs.

If I live long enough, I may see an AllBuffs football thread asking which of our backups would start for USC and Oregon.

It's a good day.

It makes me so happy, as crazy as it is, to see this become a discussion on AllBuffs.

If I live long enough, I may see an AllBuffs football thread asking which of our backups would start for USC and Oregon.

It's a good day.

the question right now is which of our football starters could be backups at USC and Oregon.

yes that is going to proove we are a deep team, when we have guys come off the bench that would be starters at other schools. I do agree that UCLA and Arizona are stupid examples, so how about Oregon State and WSU?

I'll bite. XJ would start for any team in this conference outside of Arizona and CU (for the moment). No way you can't tell me he wouldn't start over one of the Wear's at UCLA right now. Outside of that nobody.

I'll bite. XJ would start for any team in this conference outside of Arizona and CU (for the moment). No way you can't tell me he wouldn't start over one of the Wear's at UCLA right now. Outside of that nobody.

I put XJ in my starting 5. Do you think tunks could crack the starting 5 anywhere in the PAC:12 (not named ASU or Utah)

I put XJ in my starting 5. Do you think tunks could crack the starting 5 anywhere in the PAC:12 (not named ASU or Utah)

He would be the only other one, he would get more minutes at most P12 schools than at CU, just because he doesn't really fit into Tad's style of play. He could possibly start alongside Motum at WSU.

I was just comparing this year to past teams.

He would be the only other one, he would get more minutes at most P12 schools than at CU, just because he doesn't really fit into Tad's style of play. He could possibly start alongside Motum at WSU.

I guess if anyone, it should be a big.

I was just comparing this year to past teams.

oh deep for us. That is interesting idea. Remember we had ski and Tunks coming off the bench last year. I guess if you consider XJ a bench player, I would agree, but I think he is going to be like ski last year and play starting minutes.

Congrats to the basketball team for already exceeding the number of wins from our football team!

I guess if anyone, it should be a big.

oh deep for us. That is interesting idea. Remember we had ski and Tunks coming off the bench last year. I guess if you consider XJ a bench player, I would agree, but I think he is going to be like ski last year and play starting minutes.

I mean top to bottom, whether they're starters or not. The returning players are a year older with NCAA tourney experience and already look better. We also traded Dufault and Tomlinson for guys like XJ and Scott.

I mean top to bottom, whether they're starters or not. The returning players are a year older with NCAA tourney experience and already look better. We also traded Dufault and Tomlinson for guys like XJ and Scott.

Scott and XJ sure don't look like they are playing in their very first college games.

Just got home, AWESOME job buffs. Boyle is building a consistent winner here. Unreal, to think fans would be waiting for basketball season.

First let me give my congratulations to the young team toughing it out and persevering against competitive opposition.

I strongly disagree with the quoted statement. I think it gets it exactly backwards. This criticism was accurate last year when Booker lacked some patience and took some unnecessary risks trying to break the defense down. In the first two games, he has done a superb job running the offense. He has kept his head up and is looking for the pass. He is keeping the pressure on the defense with proper triple-threat technique. Dinwiddie, on the other hand, and Chen to a lesser extant, are being too passive, keeping the ball too long, not threatening anything and allowing the defense to reset.

Yes, Booker made a bad play when he got caught up in the air, but that was his only turnover. Next time, he will hopefully take the shot at the top of the key.

Dre and Spencer are placing too much pressure on themselves on the offensive end. They need to relax and let the game come to them, and take advantage of the natural openings in the offensive scheme. I think both started to loosen up some as the game entered the home stretch. It is weird for them to miss so many free throws.

I have to say how amazing it is to see talented freshman playing for us on the hardcourt. Never thought i would see the day for black and gold!

Back