What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2012 Offensive Line

Do you honestly believe that Adkins was better than Bakhtiari?

Adkins was not the best pass blocker, but go look at film the guy was good in the running game, I will say both Adkins and Bakhtiari were equally good. Bakhtiari was good in pass proctection, ok in the running game, while Adkins was good in the running game, Ok in pass protection.

Adkins was not the best pass blocker, but go look at film the guy was good in the running game, I will say both Adkins and Bakhtiari were equally good. Bakhtiari was good in pass proctection, ok in the running game, while Adkins was good in the running game, Ok in pass protection.
how many times were you dropped on your head?

Adkins was not athletic enough to get to the 2nd level or get much done on screens and pulls. Miller was a much better guard for us. He could do all of those things while being bigger, stronger and better in pass protection.

Bakhtiari is a technician, athletic, and better than either one of them by a good margin.

With O-linemen it is hard to tell unless you know what their responsibilities were on each play. Sometimes a guy looks great but is in entirely the wrong position and somebody else ends up looking bad because of him, other times a guy is really solid but not spectacular and you don't notice him at all. I'm not even going to pretend to know what OL grades should have been last year. Some types of mistakes are very obvious to us as fans, false starts, holding penalties (which can often happen in making up for somebody elses missed assignment,) getting run over by a defender who makes a play.

What I do know is that I was very dissapointed overall with the OL last year. We didn't get a solid push on the LOS when we needed it so our short yardage rushing was awful. We also missed a lot of blocks on screens and we didn't pull well. Pass blocking was a mixed bag but we seemed to have more trouble than we should have picking up certain types of blitzes, especially when OLBs or safeties blitzed inside.

Hopefully the staff will be able to infuse the line with a more aggressive attacking attitude that will help in all these areas.

With O-linemen it is hard to tell unless you know what their responsibilities were on each play. Sometimes a guy looks great but is in entirely the wrong position and somebody else ends up looking bad because of him, other times a guy is really solid but not spectacular and you don't notice him at all. I'm not even going to pretend to know what OL grades should have been last year. Some types of mistakes are very obvious to us as fans, false starts, holding penalties (which can often happen in making up for somebody elses missed assignment,) getting run over by a defender who makes a play.

What I do know is that I was very dissapointed overall with the OL last year. We didn't get a solid push on the LOS when we needed it so our short yardage rushing was awful. We also missed a lot of blocks on screens and we didn't pull well. Pass blocking was a mixed bag but we seemed to have more trouble than we should have picking up certain types of blitzes, especially when OLBs or safeties blitzed inside.

Hopefully the staff will be able to infuse the line with a more aggressive attacking attitude that will help in all these areas.

i.e, MtnBuff refuses to take a stand or have an actual opinion. Again.

Adkins was not athletic enough to get to the 2nd level or get much done on screens and pulls. Miller was a much better guard for us. He could do all of those things while being bigger, stronger and better in pass protection.

Bakhtiari is a technician, athletic, and better than either one of them by a good margin.

I have both USC and Utah game on my DVR, the tape tell a different story, Miller was disappointing, Adkins was servicable, why do you think they ran left alot behind Adkins and not Miller.

i.e, MtnBuff refuses to take a stand or have an actual opinion. Again.

No, I do have an opinion. The entire OL has to get more agressive and physical if this team is going to have success. If certain individual players can't do that then they need to be on the bench behind guys that can and will.

I'm just not going to jump on individuals based on things I/we don't know. If you will remember most of last season I was critical of certain O-linemen because they simply didn't do the job. The most common target of that criticism was Miller who completely failed to play up to his talent. How a guys with Miller's physical tools could consistenly fail to get a push against smaller, weaker D-linemen on short yardage is beyond me. I was critical of Adkins less often but for the same thing.

As far as the grades go though I'm not going to act like I know who was executing their reponsibilities and who wasn't.

No, I do have an opinion. The entire OL has to get more agressive and physical if this team is going to have success. If certain individual players can't do that then they need to be on the bench behind guys that can and will.

I'm just not going to jump on individuals based on things I/we don't know. If you will remember most of last season I was critical of certain O-linemen because they simply didn't do the job. The most common target of that criticism was Miller who completely failed to play up to his talent. How a guys with Miller's physical tools could consistenly fail to get a push against smaller, weaker D-linemen on short yardage is beyond me. I was critical of Adkins less often but for the same thing.

As far as the grades go though I'm not going to act like I know who was executing their reponsibilities and who wasn't.

You do have opinions, they read like cliches 95% of the time. Mad props.

Some people complain about the offseason, but I tend to like it.

I have both USC and Utah game on my DVR, the tape tell a different story, Miller was disappointing, Adkins was servicable, why do you think they ran left alot behind Adkins and not Miller.

Because Adkins had Bakhtiari standing beside him while Miller had Daniewitz next to him. Plus, if you're going to have a guard pull and lead into the hole, it needed to be Miller.

Because Adkins had Bakhtiari standing beside him while Miller had Daniewitz next to him. Plus, if you're going to have a guard pull and lead into the hole, it needed to be Miller.

Mattslapped!

Then why did Adkins grade out better.

I think it's because of an arcane variable in the grading formula that gives credit when you are beat so badly off the snap you are knocked back into your QB and knock him over before he gets to the second step of his drop.

Don't blame Nik, not many people know about this little wrinkle in the stats.

I think it's because of an arcane variable in the grading formula that gives credit when you are beat so badly off the snap you are knocked back into your QB and knock him over before he gets to the second step of his drop.

Don't blame Nik, not many people know about this little wrinkle in the stats.

I believe the Grading system is not based on feelings, but actually comulative empirical data.

You guys make it sound like Adkins was terrible. Every lineman gets beat and false starts, picking and choosing one play is not how the grading system works. I can also pick out several plays were Miller was beat and didn't do a good job run blocking.

I believe the Grading system is not based on feelings, but actually comulative empirical data.

You're wrong. For the most part, it's a motivational tool. Some guys respond to criticism. Some guys respond to praise. The grading system is completely worthless for fans to look at out of context (and we'll never be provided with the context).

You guys make it sound like Adkins was terrible. Every lineman gets beat and false starts, picking and choosing one play is not how the grading system works. I can also pick out several plays were Miller was beat and didn't do a good job run blocking.
Adkins was terrible. I'm sorry your eyes did not point that out for you.

Adkins was terrible. I'm sorry your eyes did not point that out for you.

In fairness, he was better than Daniewitz and often was better than Handler/Munyer at center.

But we are talking about an OL that only got us 3.52 yards per carry and gave up over 3 sacks per game. Plus all the penalties. It was a terrible OL.

In fairness, he was better than Daniewitz and often was better than Handler/Munyer at center.

But we are talking about an OL that only got us 3.52 yards per carry and gave up over 3 sacks per game. Plus all the penalties. It was a terrible OL.

Yep.

Dannewitz was our worst OL, but at least he can (somewhat) fall back on the inexperience excuse. Same with Handler/Munyer. Adkins cannot.

To be fair to Munyer, he was coming on at C, got hurt, and never saw the field with the first unit again. However, agreed. The fact that he was a senior with tons of experience really just made it 100* worse.

Well looks like Jack Harris is healthy (was working out at Lifetime tonight doing legs). We really need him next year.

Well looks like Jack Harris is healthy (was working out at Lifetime tonight doing legs). We really need him next year.

Thanks for the info. That's great to hear. Harris healthy is one of the major keys to the season.

Thanks for the info. That's great to hear. Harris healthy is one of the major keys to the season.
Yup we really missed him when he went down. Looks like he lost some weight though and doesn't look like a typical OL other than being tall. Our OL really needs to beef up. I hope that the OL being smaller last season was just a result of Blacken having them lose as much bad weight as he could before the season started.

Yup we really missed him when he went down. Looks like he lost some weight though and doesn't look like a typical OL other than being tall. Our OL really needs to beef up. I hope that the OL being smaller last season was just a result of Blacken having them lose as much bad weight as he could before the season started.

How about you offer him some beef stick?

Back