What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2012: Talent Gain or Talent Drain?

"Talent Gain" or "Talent Drain"?

• Gain

Votes: 62 93.9%
  • Drain

Votes: 4 6.1%

• Total voters
Why is everyone putting QB as a gain. Depth definitely, but I'm fairly confident Hansen's season will be better than any QB on our roster. QB is just too unknown right now to put in in the Gain category

Why is everyone putting QB as a gain. Depth definitely, but I'm fairly confident Hansen's season will be better than any QB on our roster. QB is just too unknown right now to put in in the Gain category
Because it's going to be.

Overall, it's a solid move in the "gain" direction. I am confident that in the case of this year, clearing out the "old guard" and replacing it with youth will result in a team that makes a step (how big is yet to be determined, obviously) in the right direction.

QB-short-term Drain (half a drain, we'll call it.)-depth is better...the starting situation is not.
RB-Drain-hope those freshmen, recovering backs, or Ford has it together behind Jones.
FB-Gain-loss of experience, but talent infusion.
WR-Drain-this one hurts.
TE-Gain
OL-Drain-even Tau produced some last year. Asiata was talented Miller loss hurts. Our current line has had past injury issues. Hope Harris stays healthy.
DLine-Short term drain, gain by the second half of the season, so we'll call this even through my Buff shades.
LB-Drain-maybe Cabral and another year will help? Didn't add anything though.
CB-Huge gain. Bell is overlooked along with the freshmen...hope he recovered. Moten sounds improved from the limited reports. Oh and the whole not playing rbs/wrs back there may help just a little.
S-gain. Experience will carry the safeties to a gain.

That's 4.5 drains and 4 gains. Hopefully the coaching will carry it past that .5 and into the gain column. Or the corner improvement could wipe out that half. We'll go with that. Even for this season.

Last edited:
Losing the experience hurts short term but long term I think we gained much more athletic ability than we lost.

Miller was not perfect, but do you expect his replacement to outperform him? If so, not very realistic. Speedy was not perfect, but it was more than just him being the only option. He earned plenty of carries/yards with production.
I tend not to view individual success along the O-line, unless we're talking The Blind Side. I view it as more of a cohesive unit who has a leader and dig deep and do what it takes when it matters. Maybe it wasn't Miller's fault, but I just didn't see him as the outstanding leader of a gutsy O-line unit - I truly think it was a mentality engrained by hawkins. What I see is Bahktiari taking charge and forcing this line to perform better than it did last year, and thus I see that as a gain.

I tend not to view individual success along the O-line, unless we're talking The Blind Side. I view it as more of a cohesive unit who has a leader and dig deep and do what it takes when it matters. Maybe it wasn't Miller's fault, but I just didn't see him as the outstanding leader of a gutsy O-line unit - I truly think it was a mentality engrained by hawkins. What I see is Bahktiari taking charge and forcing this line to perform better than it did last year, and thus I see that as a gain.

You are definitely on to something there. In my eyes Miller never really took full control of the leadership deal while at CU. Not sure if it was Hawks fault or not but lets just assume it was...

Miller did have a different OL coach I believe 4 out of his 5 years he was at CU, fwiw.

You are definitely on to something there. In my eyes Miller never really took full control of the leadership deal while at CU. Not sure if it was Hawks fault or not but lets just assume it was...
Will do 100%

Miller did have a different OL coach I believe 4 out of his 5 years he was at CU, fwiw.

I think it is 3 out of 5 but I am not sure what this has to do with him taking control of the offensive line and being a leader.

I think it is 3 out of 5 but I am not sure what this has to do with him taking control of the offensive line and being a leader.
No but it does have something to do with him not living up to his 5* status, or a possible reason, which was, what CUAviator said in his original post.
Is it blasphemy to say that I was totally unimpressed with Miller? Not one time did I watch a game and think, "wow, thank goodness miller was in there".

There is without a doubt in my mind that having so many OL coaches hindered his development in a big way.

No but it does have something to do with him not living up to his 5* status, or a possible reason, which was, what CUAviator said in his original post.

There is without a doubt in my mind that having so many OL coaches hindered his development in a big way.

I guess that's kind of my point - when your a guy like Miller faced with that kind of change and adversity, that's when you need to step up.

I don't buy the coaching change deal - Scam Newton played for 3 different TEAMS in 3 years. He just took control of the offense when he had to.

Back