What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2012 USC Football Preview

RSSBot

News Junkie
I saw these in the "Official Online Store of the Pac-12 Conference:"

*sigh* (There's also some CSU versions of the above, but I'll leave that for another day)

This shirt (on sale for $17.95) speaks to the ongoing desire from the program to install USC as the main rival, a la the way Nebraska was installed as the main villain 30 years ago. The whole notion strikes me as a desperate shriek in the midst of a hasty retreat. Nebraska in '82 at least made sense from a geographic, historical (CU had played games against them since the dawn of the program), recruiting, and fan base stand point. Picking USC feels like it's coming out of left field. Why not pick Alabama, or Ohio State? They're good, so they're our rivals now.

Yes, you have to start somewhere, and a rivalry with the LA schools would be ideal, but I don't feel it, SC doesn't feel it, and no one outside of Dal Ward takes this seriously right now (probably inside too). USC will kick our ass for the next decade plus, and never think twice about it. They've got a cut-throat regional rival (UCLA), a pair of bubbling conference rivalries (Oregon, Stanford), and a traditional rival (Notre Dame) that all take up far more of their attention, and will always take up more of their attention.

While CU recruits the SoCal area, there's just no overlap on the athletes we're going after. SC doesn't even care enough to swoop in and steal Colorado's best high school talent, such as it is (SC has more players from Alaska - one - then they do the Centennial State). There's not even the chip of "hey they take over our stadium every two years" to play, as USC's road section was no more prevalent in Folsom's bleachers than any other last season. Forcing USC as a rival is pointless.

I will never understand the program's refusal to go along with a revivication of the Utah rivalry. It's historical, it's geographically convenient, they're a strong program, and, as CU proved last year, are a beatable proposition. Even the Arizona's fit, as they recruit both Colorado and similar recruiting grounds to the Buffs. Either of those three would make sense. SC doesn't, other than through the lenses of a Napoleonic complex.

Prediction -

Blech. Best just to avoid this game entirely Saturday afternoon.

The spread is 41 points. Whether USC covers is entirely on them. How much do they really care about this game? My guess is this game will look a lot like last Thursday's ASU affair. The Trojans will come out a little tepid to start, before deciding at some point to put the game away and move on.

8030839680057503187-6640170965788665158

alkjc7Pt1SM

I saw these in the "Official Online Store of the Pac-12 Conference:"

*sigh* (There's also some CSU versions of the above, but I'll leave that for another day)

This shirt (on sale for $17.95) speaks to the ongoing desire from the program to install USC as the main rival, a la the way Nebraska was installed as the main villain 30 years ago. The whole notion strikes me as a desperate shriek in the midst of a hasty retreat. Nebraska in '82 at least made sense from a geographic, historical (CU had played games against them since the dawn of the program), recruiting, and fan base stand point. Picking USC feels like it's coming out of left field. Why not pick Alabama, or Ohio State? They're good, so they're our rivals now.

Yes, you have to start somewhere, and a rivalry with the LA schools would be ideal, but I don't feel it, SC doesn't feel it, and no one outside of Dal Ward takes this seriously right now (probably inside too). USC will kick our ass for the next decade plus, and never think twice about it. They've got a cut-throat regional rival (UCLA), a pair of bubbling conference rivalries (Oregon, Stanford), and a traditional rival (Notre Dame) that all take up far more of their attention, and will always take up more of their attention.

While CU recruits the SoCal area, there's just no overlap on the athletes we're going after. SC doesn't even care enough to swoop in and steal Colorado's best high school talent, such as it is (SC has more players from Alaska - one - then they do the Centennial State). There's not even the chip of "hey they take over our stadium every two years" to play, as USC's road section was no more prevalent in Folsom's bleachers than any other last season. Forcing USC as a rival is pointless.

I will never understand the program's refusal to go along with a revivication of the Utah rivalry. It's historical, it's geographically convenient, they're a strong program, and, as CU proved last year, are a beatable proposition. Even the Arizona's fit, as they recruit both Colorado and similar recruiting grounds to the Buffs. Either of those three would make sense. SC doesn't, other than through the lenses of a Napoleonic complex.

Prediction -

Blech. Best just to avoid this game entirely Saturday afternoon.

The spread is 41 points. Whether USC covers is entirely on them. How much do they really care about this game? My guess is this game will look a lot like last Thursday's ASU affair. The Trojans will come out a little tepid to start, before deciding at some point to put the game away and move on.

8030839680057503187-6640170965788665158

alkjc7Pt1SM

Originally posted by The Rumblings of a Deranged Buffalo
Click here to view the article.

Back