What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-14 Coaching Carousel Thread

Muschamps' seat should be getting warm. Their offense is pathetic.

Convenient for Texas that Mack Brown's seat is cooling and they can wait potentially another year to assess candidates. Current names like Muschamp, Patterson, and Strong aren't helping their case to a big payday. Meanwhile James Franklin has some work to do in the second half to improve his stock for a better suitor.

I'd think Richt shouldn't be real comfortable right about now.

Yep. Looking at their schedule, their remaining games are: Florida (Jacksonville), Appalachian State, @ Auburn, Kentucky, @ Georgia Tech. With them sitting 4-3, I think the best bet is that they finish 8-4. That said, the damage has already been done. 8-4 is what got Jim Donnan fired (4 straight top 20 finishes and they gave him the axe).

I'd think Richt shouldn't be real comfortable right about now.

Georgia should think long and hard about that one. Richt could finish his career there and deliver great seasons nearly every year. Injuries killed this season, not coaching. Odds are that a new coach will not deliver the results that Richt has and would going forward.

I don't know how much pressure there is to win at the service academies, but Rich Ellerson's Army teams have consistently been the most disappointing of the three. He'd do well coming back west and finishing out his career serving as a mentor on the defensive staff of a younger head coach. Or maybe one more go as HC at his alma mater Hawaii after the failed Norm Chow experiment, though following this I'd assume they want to go in a completely new direction.

Georgia should think long and hard about that one. Richt could finish his career there and deliver great seasons nearly every year. Injuries killed this season, not coaching. Odds are that a new coach will not deliver the results that Richt has and would going forward.

I completely agree. Georgia is not Alabama and that's not going to change. This year was a ridiculous situation of injuries. The man is 70-31 in the SEC. Two SEC titles, Six SEC East titles. Top 10 finishes 7/12 years in Athens. Highly unlikely whoever comes in is able to do better than that. Unfortunately, I fear Richt is about 1 dumb loss to Georgia Tech to end the season away from getting the axe. That said, he'd land on his feet at a school like Virginia and find success there without the immense pressure (He was about to go to UVA before UGA jumped in and landed him)

Honest question who would you guys rather have right now. Richt or Mac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mid-way through his first season? Probably keeping Mac. Maybe what you should be asking is, if Richt had been interested in coming to Boulder after we fired JE, would we have preferred him. Pretty silly question though.

Pinkell is a good coach and I can not stand mizzou. Richt will be gone at the end of the season. Weis gone at the end of the season. Muschamp overrated. Best coach in college IMO - Art Briles

Pinkell is a good coach and I can not stand mizzou. Richt will be gone at the end of the season. Weis gone at the end of the season. Muschamp overrated. Best coach in college IMO - Art Briles

1. Nick Saban
2. Urban Meyer

I can't put Briles in the conversation for #3. He's done an amazing job, but he needs to at least win a conference title before I start vaulting him over guys like Frank Beamer.

Sarkisian's seat has to be warming up slightly. He has never had a year without a three game skid including huge blowout losses.

The players quit last Saturday. Not sure if they quit on the coach or on their QB, but it's not a good sign for the Huskies right now.

Isn't the AD a buddy of Sarkisian's and likely to give him a lot of rope?

Scott Woodward (the AD) did hire Sarkisian. And I think Sarkisian will certainly get some leeway. They're not buddy-buddies as far as I know.

Every current player is Sark's recruit now. He did great at gettting the Huskies to mediocrity. We've stockpiled talent as well, even though the lines have had atrocious recruiting. We are far, far too talented to have simply quit last week. I didn't see that coming.

The fact is we've been terrible on the road and terrible against "decent" teams. There is no trending improvement right now. We've whiffed on OL and DL recruits for the past decade and it is showing up on the field. We're showing the same mistakes in October that we've had since training camp, and it's not improving. We've been eliminated from the Rose Bowl by mid-October in every season under Sark.

I'm not suggesting we simply fire Sark now (though I'm not sure I'd mind if we did), but I do think he should have a very short leash with a full evaluation after the season is complete. If UW is stuck with 7 wins again this year I don't see how he shouldn't be fired. We'll have to see how the season plays out, and whether or not this team can recover. I could be wrong and maybe Sark can show he's learning. I'm really just not seeing it right now and my purple-colored glasses are off.

At least it looks like Justin Wilcox won't be leaving:thumbsup: Not with giving up over 1,200 yards and 98 points the past two weeks.

Man, I wonder what it is like to be able to bitch about a seven win season....I hardly remember.

Udub fans of all people should be careful of what you wish for. Although that continued massive shadow looming from Eugene has to have much gnashing of teeth going on in purple puppy land.

I'd cut Sark a lot of slack if I were a UDub supporter. That's a simply brutal stretch of three games they just went through. They'll get it turned around pretty quickly. Firing Sark would be a big mistake, IMO. Not that I would mind at this point. Anything to create a little drama for a fellow conference team would be fine by me.

Assuming UW ends up with 8 wins on the season, isn't that about what the expectations were for the season anyway? Because if the expectations were much higher than that, then maybe that was a bit unrealistic given they had Oregon, at Stanford, and at UCLA on the schedule for starters. Plus the Boise game had to be considered a toss-up going into the season. Of course, the fact that they quit against ASU as you noted is a different issue.

It is pretty refreshing to be upset with a 7 win team again, and I mean this in a good way.

I think Sark does deserve some slack. But I won't give slack with no accountability. A fourth consecutive 7 win season hypothetically should start raising questions IMO. That's all I'm saying right now.

I get it. He's learning on the job and that's hard. He didn't have previous coaching experience. UW was the worst program in college during it's 0-fer 2008 season. Sark's stubborness as a coach and playcaller is showing and this last week's loss was 100% on poor coaching. If a QB is injured to the extent he can't throw it within 10 yards of a receiver, he shouldn't be playing. I love Keith Price but he is hurt right now and needs to heal. It will be interesting to watch our offense with Miles moving forward the next couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see if the coaches can coach up the players and get them to stop making the same mistakes they've been making all year with undisciplined play.

It's very concerning to see a team with a fair amount of talent quit. And make no mistake, the Huskies entire team quit last week. I don't think there is a Pac-12 school they could have beat the way they played.

Continuity with coaching is very important. I'll give Sark some more time. If we can't keep the state's blue chip prospects at home, if we continue to fail at recruiting lineman, if we fail to win more than 55% of our games on average annually moving forward... at what point does a respectable program feel this is good enough?

By no means should Sarkisian's seat be hot. We need to see what happens the rest of the year. I think it's fair to start expecting some improvements in fundamentals by year 5 of a coaching regime and asking questions though. Do I want him fired today? No. His free passes are starting to run low, however.

Assuming UW ends up with 8 wins on the season, isn't that about what the expectations were for the season anyway? Because if the expectations were much higher than that, then maybe that was a bit unrealistic given they had Oregon, at Stanford, and at UCLA on the schedule for starters. Plus the Boise game had to be considered a toss-up going into the season. Of course, the fact that they quit against ASU as you noted is a different issue.

This isn't the year to be changing coaches if you're Washington. USC is open, and Texas probably will open at some point. Where does UW rate compared with those gigs? I don't see UW making a move this year, but I could see Sarkisian heading back to USC---We all know SC has names on their list they have no shot at, and will wind up settling for somebody like Sarkisian.

I think reasonable expectations should have been 8-9 wins with 10+ possible with great play. Sark himself said UW was a 9 win team last year and this year's squad is significantly better. Winning 7 games or 10 games is less concerning to me than seeing the quit in the team last week. I've had a couple days to cool off about it, but this last week's game was inexcusable. I'm fine with a loss where we compete hard. I'm not fine with failing to show up with a clear lack of preparation and inability to make coaching changes again throughout the course of the game.

I'm just starting to wonder if Sark really is HC material or not. I hope to see improvement in his coaching ability, but time will tell. I haven't seen the improvement you would expect from year 2 to year 5. Sure our D has improved with new coaches, but STs has worsened, we are still undisciplined and there are head-scratching coaching decisions that keep popping up every year. I'm not sure we'll see them stopped based on history, but we'll see.

UW has Cal this week, should be an interesting game.

This isn't the year to be changing coaches if you're Washington. USC is open, and Texas probably will open at some point. Where does UW rate compared with those gigs? I don't see UW making a move this year, but I could see Sarkisian heading back to USC---We all know SC has names on their list they have no shot at, and will wind up settling for somebody like Sarkisian.

I don't think USC wants another Carroll disciple. Sark is just a couple games over .500 as a HC so it would be surprising to see them hire him, IMO.

I think UW should give Sark another year to see if they get a Pinkel situation. Pinkel was pretty close to getting canned after a similar time period, they gave him another year and he busted out, though they never got a conf championship right? Plus this is looking like a terrible year to have to hire a coach with USC and likely UT and maybe Nebraska open as well.

UW firing Sark would be madness. They're clearly on the upswing, they just hit a brutal stretch. I guess a bunch of Huskies worked themselves up into thinking this was the year of an 11-1 type season, but this is a brutal Pac-12 and not an ideal situation for a full-on "break out" type year. Washington probably finishes 8-4 (possibly 7-5) and kills whoever they play in a bowl (the Pac is going to straight abuse some teams in bowl games). 9-4 or 8-5 isn't a fireable offense. It's showing progress after 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6. I know it's tough being in Oregon's shadow, but good grief.

UW firing Sark would be madness. They're clearly on the upswing, they just hit a brutal stretch. I guess a bunch of Huskies worked themselves up into thinking this was the year of an 11-1 type season, but this is a brutal Pac-12 and not an ideal situation for a full-on "break out" type year. Washington probably finishes 8-4 (possibly 7-5) and kills whoever they play in a bowl (the Pac is going to straight abuse some teams in bowl games). 9-4 or 8-5 isn't a fireable offense. It's showing progress after 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6. I know it's tough being in Oregon's shadow, but good grief.

I think the Holiday and Alamo matchups against a Big 12 team should be good but other than that they do have quite a few matchups in their favor with 2 games against the MWC, one against BYU, and of course the Rose Bowl against a lame-ass Big10 champ. The Sun Bowl should be an easy win too going up against something like the 6th or 7th-place team out of the ACC.

That's "progress"???

With the level of talent UW has and the overall experience, those last two 7-6's are tough to take. When I watched UW last year in Boulder, I was thoroughly un-impressed. They were going throught the motions and WB was within striking distance of a win if he played his QB cards right---but, as usual, he didn't and the Buffs got blown out by a slightly better than average team playing very half-heartedly. The warning signs on UW team psyche were out then.

It appears that Sark is too stubborn to change his approach to player development, if his lines failed to improve. Also too stubborn to lay the play-calling off on the OC---guess he didn't learn a thing from Kiffin. And finally, its never a good sign when a veteran team quits on its HC---I'm feeling some real WB&CO vibe there. I thought Sark might be a natural to move down south, but after last week's "quit," I'm backing way off that.

Anyone paying attention to UDub has seen the progress. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

Back