What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-14 Coaching Carousel Thread

1. Nick Saban
2. Urban Meyer

I can't put Briles in the conversation for #3. He's done an amazing job, but he needs to at least win a conference title before I start vaulting him over guys like Frank Beamer.
This might be the year Briles does just that. I agree on the top 2, you could put quite a few guys at 3. Malzhan is doing a great job at Auburn right now. If Briles ends up at Texas, look the hell out.

That's "progress"???

With the level of talent UW has and the overall experience, those last two 7-6's are tough to take. When I watched UW last year in Boulder, I was thoroughly un-impressed. They were going throught the motions and WB was within striking distance of a win if he played his QB cards right---but, as usual, he didn't and the Buffs got blown out by a slightly better than average team playing very half-heartedly. The warning signs on UW team psyche were out then.

It appears that Sark is too stubborn to change his approach to player development, if his lines failed to improve. Also too stubborn to lay the play-calling off on the OC---guess he didn't learn a thing from Kiffin. And finally, its never a good sign when a veteran team quits on its HC---I'm feeling some real WB&CO vibe there. I thought Sark might be a natural to move down south, but after last week's "quit," I'm backing way off that.

Instead of taking my quote out of context, perhaps you should actually read it. 9-4 would be "progress" over 7-6. And anyone who has watched UW over these past few years will have seen clear improvement each and every year. I guess you'll get a taste of that progress when UW blows our doors off in a few weeks after being on our level 5 years ago.

UW is definitely showing progress. This is offensively the scariest team they have had under Sark and they just happen to be playing in a year when the top half of the Pac-12 is as dangerous as I've ever seen it. They'll win 8 or 9 this year including the bowl game and it will be an improvement. If they can sharpen their recruiting focus on getting defensive playmakers and physically ready offensive linemen they will continue to have a good thing going. It's going to be tough to complain about not getting to the CCG when a pre-probation Oregon is in your division.

Instead of taking my quote out of context, perhaps you should actually read it. 9-4 would be "progress" over 7-6. And anyone who has watched UW over these past few years will have seen clear improvement each and every year. I guess you'll get a taste of that progress when UW blows our doors off in a few weeks after being on our level 5 years ago.

Of that I have little doubt, but how do you explain the ASU result or that effort in Boulder last year? Something's askew with UW, one my Pac 8 favs over the years because of James, but not quite sure what.

Of that I have little doubt, but how do you explain the ASU result or that effort in Boulder last year? Something's askew with UW, one my Pac 8 favs over the years because of James, but not quite sure what.

I would be very careful if I were UW, and I wouldn't make a change this year. Chip Kelly might be itching for a return to college in a year or so anyway. In terms of the ASU effort, the two games they had are probably the toughest possible stretch in terms of conference scheduling.....could be a clunker, but who knows.

UW is definitely showing progress. This is offensively the scariest team they have had under Sark and they just happen to be playing in a year when the top half of the Pac-12 is as dangerous as I've ever seen it. They'll win 8 or 9 this year including the bowl game and it will be an improvement. If they can sharpen their recruiting focus on getting defensive playmakers and physically ready offensive linemen they will continue to have a good thing going. It's going to be tough to complain about not getting to the CCG when a pre-probation Oregon is in your division.

I love this. This should be a thing. If we say it enough, maybe it will happen.

Don't be surprised if Sark starts having the same problems at Washington that Tedford did at the end at Cal. There is good and bad with the staff he has assembled and the on-paper recruiting they do.

I wouldn't count on a probation for Oregon when Miami didn't get much but a hand slap and a "Please don't do that again" punishment today.

Sarkisian is not going anywhere right now. Grumblings from the fans have no effect on his job security at this point, and we shouldn't. Yes UW cannot keep having coaches go through the turnstills and expect to get to the top again. But there is a problem right now and UW fans are starting to acknowledge it.

That said, to respond to Buffenuf's nailing it with the something's askew with UW, I'll give you a few thoughts.

Last 4 UW recruiting classes (Scout):
2010 = #11
2011 = #22
2012 = #23
2013 = #13

Sarkisian has done a very good job of recruiting to UW. UW skill positions are really strong at this time. UW has, for the most part, completely whiffed on the majority of O line and D line players though, with the notable exception of last year’s D line recruits. Rick Neuheisel recruited lineman better than Sark. They are very similar in this regard, although I think Rick is perhaps a better game day manager and gets his guys ready to go better.

You can't win without great lineman. Either recruit them or develop them, but that is the most critical part of the game. UW has had bottom-level lineman recruiting and development under Sark (definitely below the Pac average).

UW records under Sark's tenure:
2009 = 5-7
2010 = 7-6 (5-4 in Pac play)
2011 = 7-6 (5-4 in Pac play)
2012 = 7-6 (5-4 in Pac play)
2013 = 4-3 (1-3 in Pac play) wins over a mediocre BSU, Illinois, Idaho St and AZ. Losses to Stanford, Oregon and a Blowout loss to ASU. Upcoming road games @UCLA and @OSU with home games against Cal, CU and WSU (who beat us last year again). I personally think UW needs to beat WSU to get a 7[SUP]th[/SUP] win again (I think they lose to OSU and UCLA), and I hope I’m wrong. If we get blown out at either OSU or UCLA it makes me think along the lines of how things are not changing when you look at them more closely.

For UW to maintain the same number of conference wins this year they must win at least 4 or their next 5 conference games. If they lose @UCLA and @OSU (very possible and assured if they play the way they played against ASU), they would end up with their worst conference record since Sark's first year.

Overall he is 30-28 at this point in time in the middle of year 5.

Three consecutive 7 win seasons and three consecutive 5-4 records in the Pac, although UW is now 1-3 in Pac play this year (with a veteran squad) and now in danger of being less than .500 in conference unless they can go on the road and win.

Enter every season with a minimum 3 game skid with blowout losses. No improvement there.

Five years in, the OL still struggles, the penalties occur at a higher rate and occur at seemingly more costly parts of the game. Special teams is a joke and and at best our line play on either side of the ball has been average or worse.

Next year UW starts @ Hawaii, then hosts Eastern, Illinois and Georgia State. They should be 4-0 without being challenged and the hype begins again. The wins are great but if we cannot go head to head with half of the Pac in year 5 why will it be different in year 6? What are others seeing that I'm not?

What bothers Husky fans more than the losses from what I’m experiencing and reading, is NOT the fact that we’re dropping games, but the fact that we’re still getting BLOWN OUT when going on the road against conference foes of similar talent and expectations. Good teams don’t get blown out consistently, and we’ve never had a Sarkisian-coached UW squad who avoided blow-out losses. This year evidently is still no different from what I see on the scoreboard and field. UW quit last week. I know they can rebound but will they? Can they avoid a blow out loss @UCLA and @OSU?

This year’s squad is full of experienced juniors (mostly) and seniors with a 5[SUP]th[/SUP] year senior quarterback. They are all Sarkisian’s recruits. This is the year that was circled on Husky calendars four years ago, the year with "no more excuses". I’m in a little bit of a “show me” or “prove it to me” mindset. Can Sarkisian take a veteran team comprised of 4 straight Top 25 recruiting classes and have them play competitive week in and week out while avoiding blow outs with a veteran squad full of juniors and seniors? If he can, great. If he can’t do it with this team what makes anyone think it will be better in the future? He has not yet shown the ability to do that. He very well could and I hope he does in the near future, but so far as a head coach he has not done it. UW is better than it was in 2008, but I don't see where the improvement is if the results on the field are exactly the same as they have been for the past three years with an allegedly better team.

UW continues to recruit the skill positions well, but also continue to get “projects” and “sleepers” on the O and D lines, while elite 5* blue-chippers continue to leave the state at an alarming rate. A walk-on third string TE became a D line starter this year after being on the offense last year, how sad is that? Sarkisian easily has at least another year at UW and is no jeopardy at this time. I’m not advocating for him to be fired. I am advocating that the finish to the season this year be highly scrutinized. I’m ecstatic that Sarkisian helped get UW out of the cellar and has built the program the right way with academics emphasized and above the board character all the way around. I will always be grateful to him for that.

I’ll be really upset though if the UW AD thinks a perennial 7 win team is “good enough” for UW. And how many years does it take to determine whether a coach can get better than that?

There is no question the talent at UW is light years ahead of the 2008 squad. I think the future can be very bright for UW indeed. I hope that Sark can take the next step, but based on the past 4 ½ years of his coaching I have not seen his ability to coach up and prepare our players to play every week.

UW should not fire Sark at this juncture. He's getting another year minimum. UW should, however, keep the blinders off if Sark is unable to show he is capable of showing improvement over the next several months.

If MacIntyre were to have similar scores in the OSU or Oregon games 5 years from now will the Buffs be pleased? Sark has done great things in turning the program around, but he is not showing improvement in gameday coaching, management or player discipline on the field. These things are football fundamentals. He still has potential and upside, but UW will be putting a new QB on the field next year and will be rebuilding the majority of the lines and skill players by 2015. What will the excuses be then if UW is still middle of the Pac? He gets stubborn in his playcalling and often tries to force what he wants rather than accept what the other team gives. If he is going to continue to grow in the profession he is going to need to learn how to make adjustments. In-game adjustments that is, and not just between seasons.

UW is by far better off than they were in 2008, but I'm not seeing all of this "improvement" that others are seeing. UW is 5-7 in their last twelve Pac games since beating Stanford 9/27/12 and 1-3 this year with an absolute whooping put on them last week. Improvement? Where?

Sarkisian is not going anywhere right now. Grumblings from the fans have no effect on his job security at this point, and we shouldn't. Yes UW cannot keep having coaches go through the turnstills and expect to get to the top again. But there is a problem right now and UW fans are starting to acknowledge it.

That said, to respond to Buffenuf's nailing it with the something's askew with UW, I'll give you a few thoughts.

2010 = #11
2011 = #22
2012 = #23
2013 = #13

Sarkisian has done a very good job of recruiting to UW. UW skill positions are really strong at this time. UW has, for the most part, completely whiffed on the majority of O line and D line players though, with the notable exception of last year’s D line recruits. Rick Neuheisel recruited lineman better than Sark. They are very similar in this regard, although I think Rick is perhaps a better game day manager and gets his guys ready to go better.

You can't win without great lineman. Either recruit them or develop them, but that is the most critical part of the game. UW has had bottom-level lineman recruiting and development under Sark (definitely below the Pac average).

2009 = 5-7
2013 = 4-3 (1-3 in Pac play) wins over a mediocre BSU, Illinois, Idaho St and AZ. Losses to Stanford, Oregon and a Blowout loss to ASU. Upcoming road games @UCLA and @OSU with home games against Cal, CU and WSU (who beat us last year again). I personally think UW needs to beat WSU to get a 7[SUP]th[/SUP] win again (I think they lose to OSU and UCLA), and I hope I’m wrong. If we get blown out at either OSU or UCLA it makes me think along the lines of how things are not changing when you look at them more closely.

For UW to maintain the same number of conference wins this year they must win at least 4 or their next 5 conference games. If they lose @UCLA and @OSU (very possible and assured if they play the way they played against ASU), they would end up with their worst conference record since Sark's first year.

Three consecutive 7 win seasons and three consecutive 5-4 records in the Pac, although UW is now 1-3 in Pac play this year (with a veteran squad) and now in danger of being less than .500 in conference unless they can go on the road and win.

Enter every season with a minimum 3 game skid with blowout losses. No improvement there.

Five years in, the OL still struggles, the penalties occur at a higher rate and occur at seemingly more costly parts of the game. Special teams is a joke and and at best our line play on either side of the ball has been average or worse.

Next year UW starts @ Hawaii, then hosts Eastern, Illinois and Georgia State. They should be 4-0 without being challenged and the hype begins again. The wins are great but if we cannot go head to head with half of the Pac in year 5 why will it be different in year 6? What are others seeing that I'm not?

What bothers Husky fans more than the losses from what I’m experiencing and reading, is NOT the fact that we’re dropping games, but the fact that we’re still getting BLOWN OUT when going on the road against conference foes of similar talent and expectations. Good teams don’t get blown out consistently, and we’ve never had a Sarkisian-coached UW squad who avoided blow-out losses. This year evidently is still no different from what I see on the scoreboard and field. UW quit last week. I know they can rebound but will they? Can they avoid a blow out loss @UCLA and @OSU?

This year’s squad is full of experienced juniors (mostly) and seniors with a 5[SUP]th[/SUP] year senior quarterback. They are all Sarkisian’s recruits. This is the year that was circled on Husky calendars four years ago, the year with "no more excuses". I’m in a little bit of a “show me” or “prove it to me” mindset. Can Sarkisian take a veteran team comprised of 4 straight Top 25 recruiting classes and have them play competitive week in and week out while avoiding blow outs with a veteran squad full of juniors and seniors? If he can, great. If he can’t do it with this team what makes anyone think it will be better in the future? He has not yet shown the ability to do that. He very well could and I hope he does in the near future, but so far as a head coach he has not done it. UW is better than it was in 2008, but I don't see where the improvement is if the results on the field are exactly the same as they have been for the past three years with an allegedly better team.

UW continues to recruit the skill positions well, but also continue to get “projects” and “sleepers” on the O and D lines, while elite 5* blue-chippers continue to leave the state at an alarming rate. A walk-on third string TE became a D line starter this year after being on the offense last year, how sad is that? Sarkisian easily has at least another year at UW and is no jeopardy at this time. I’m not advocating for him to be fired. I am advocating that the finish to the season this year be highly scrutinized. I’m ecstatic that Sarkisian helped get UW out of the cellar and has built the program the right way with academics emphasized and above the board character all the way around. I will always be grateful to him for that.

I’ll be really upset though if the UW AD thinks a perennial 7 win team is “good enough” for UW. And how many years does it take to determine whether a coach can get better than that?

There is no question the talent at UW is light years ahead of the 2008 squad. I think the future can be very bright for UW indeed. I hope that Sark can take the next step, but based on the past 4 ½ years of his coaching I have not seen his ability to coach up and prepare our players to play every week.

UW should not fire Sark at this juncture. He's getting another year minimum. UW should, however, keep the blinders off if Sark is unable to show he is capable of showing improvement over the next several months.

If MacIntyre were to have similar scores in the OSU or Oregon games 5 years from now will the Buffs be pleased? Sark has done great things in turning the program around, but he is not showing improvement in gameday coaching, management or player discipline on the field. These things are football fundamentals. He still has potential and upside, but UW will be putting a new QB on the field next year and will be rebuilding the majority of the lines and skill players by 2015. What will the excuses be then if UW is still middle of the Pac? He gets stubborn in his playcalling and often tries to force what he wants rather than accept what the other team gives. If he is going to continue to grow in the profession he is going to need to learn how to make adjustments. In-game adjustments that is, and not just between seasons.

UW is by far better off than they were in 2008, but I'm not seeing all of this "improvement" that others are seeing. UW is 5-7 in their last twelve Pac games since beating Stanford 9/27/12 and 1-3 this year with an absolute whooping put on them last week. Improvement? Where?

Holy god. I think you confused this board with a purple puppy board where people actually care enough to read that novel.

Anybody have an exec. summary on that? tl;dr.

1. Sark won't get fired.
2. Recruiting is Top 25 for past 4 years.
3. Wins have plateaued at 7 per year with blowouts against good teams despite the talent upgrade.
4. Fans are dissatisfied.

1. Sark won't get fired.
2. Recruiting is Top 25 for past 4 years.
3. Wins have plateaued at 7 per year with blowouts against good teams despite the talent upgrade.
4. Fans are dissatisfied.
I would include a "but, he's not recruited the lines well" to #1. That's about it.

Don't be surprised if Sark starts having the same problems at Washington that Tedford did at the end at Cal. There is good and bad with the staff he has assembled and the on-paper recruiting they do.

I think that's a very real possibility. However, I don't think Sarkisian has reached his "peak" quite yet before the Tedford-style decline might set in

When did we decide to start calling Sarkisian "Sark"?

I'd rather that than spelling DiStefano as "DiStephano" Connor Wood as "Conner Woods" Sefo as "Stefo" and the new one making the rounds: Wesley Gordon as "Wesley Gordan". And don't even get me started on "Embry".

I'd rather that than spelling DiStefano as "DiStephano" Connor Wood as "Conner Woods" Sefo as "Stefo" and the new one making the rounds: Wesley Gordon as "Wesley Gordan". And don't even get me started on "Embry".

RalphMouth is starting to make the rounds in place of RalphMalph which for some reason reminds me of a burrito.

2010 = #11
2011 = #22
2012 = #23
2013 = #13

2009 = 5-7

I am not related to DD by the way.

After this season, I'd like to see some research into (what I perceive to be an increase in) the prevalence of blowouts. I believe that, due to the rise of the spread/option, we are seeing more plays and more scoring than ever, and as a result, more blowouts than ever. Elite teams are not getting blown out, but we are seeing elite and 2nd Tier teams blow out other ranked teams or 2nd tier teams. We are also seeing some just plain obscene scoring because a number of teams run systems that are designed to effectively run up the score. In short, I just don't think that being blown out is as inexplicable as it used to be. So chill, UW.

2010 = #11
2011 = #22
2012 = #23
2013 = #13

2009 = 5-7

Quoted for thread length.

Semper Gumby

I liked the knowledge DD brought to the thread but if the following point is true

Rick is perhaps a better game day manager and gets his guys ready to go better

then Steve Sarkisian may need to browse Yelp for a realtor.

When they should have gotten the death penalty...its not like this is a first, second or third time thing...they are constantly dirty

The NCAA also jerked around for 2 years with the investigation, meanwhile other teams were scaring recruits away from Miami telling them that they would be getting hammered by the NCAA. And 3 scholarships per year for the next 3 years, while not significant, cannot be discounted either.

Back