What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-2014 Roster Depth Chart ('13 Recruiting Complete)

He did have his bonehead moments, but Talton was able to run the point effectively, and knock down some 3's at times this season. If it comes to down him or Stalzer, I want the ball in Talton's hands everytime. They're both freshman so that can change. I didn't think Levi would amount to much until midway through his junior season. Depth was an issue last season which is why Stalzer got as much time as he did, and the same could have been said for Mills his frosh season because of the frontcourt being so thin.

This convo reminds me of agonizing over the 25th roster spot after spring training. It's always a debate, but it's not a vital part of the team. The thing is no team ever has a 13 man rotation. We're ok with keeping Stalzer and Talton, but if one should leave that's ok too.

Am I the only one who's not ready to write off Eli? It's one year, and the kid's never going to be a starter but we didn't expect him to. I can see him running the point for 5-10 minutes a night next season depending on how the off-season shakes out.

Honestly, I don't hold out a lot of hope for Stalzer playing much, either this year or in the future. I think the talent is improving quickly enough that he will struggle to find a niche in an already crowded rotation. That said, I'm not writing him off either. He has the best stroke on the team and, despite last year's numbers, I do think he has a chance to develop into the shooter we need.

In any case, I'm glad he's on the team. He and Tad seem to have an understanding that he'll get a chance to compete, but will never see big minutes. In the worst-case scenario, he doesn't develop into a regular contributor, but won't complain about his role and gives you a passable PG on a pinch as a 12th or 13th man. In the best case, he develops his shooting and ball handling to the point that he becomes a steadying influence on the team, stretches defenses, and gives 10-15 quality minutes per game. There's more value to that than people realize.

Having said all of that, the bottom line is I still don't see the upside in redshirting him. Pay for his degree, tip your cap and thank him for his contributions on 4 NCAA tournament teams!

It's fun talking about this. I don't remember the Buffs ever being good enough that we could discuss the 12th and 13th men on the roster.

I really like the potential of Talton. He was the youngest player on the team last year. He showed improvement toward the end of the year (Zona in the Pac 12 tourney he looked good). I'm not sure if he will ever be a major contributor with the way Boyle is recruiting now, but I think he can be a nice role player/backup PG throughout his career and a possible starter at the end of his career if he can improve his handles and turnover issues. Not every player will be NBA quality on this roster. It is nice having a balance between classes.

I can't see Stalzer getting more minutes than last year unless he becomes a lights out shooter. The talent and depth of this program are getting better each year under Boyle. We will many more shooters/scorers next year.

I thought the practice scoop consensus is Chis Jenkins makes Reggie Miller look like a hobo. Does Stalzer have a better shot than Jenkins?

It's more compact and consistent. He really could be a 40% 3pt and 90% FT guy if he's got his confidence.

Honestly, I don't hold out a lot of hope for Stalzer playing much, either this year or in the future. I think the talent is improving quickly enough that he will struggle to find a niche in an already crowded rotation. That said, I'm not writing him off either. He has the best stroke on the team and, despite last year's numbers, I do think he has a chance to develop into the shooter we need.

In any case, I'm glad he's on the team. He and Tad seem to have an understanding that he'll get a chance to compete, but will never see big minutes. In the worst-case scenario, he doesn't develop into a regular contributor, but won't complain about his role and gives you a passable PG on a pinch as a 12th or 13th man. In the best case, he develops his shooting and ball handling to the point that he becomes a steadying influence on the team, stretches defenses, and gives 10-15 quality minutes per game. There's more value to that than people realize.

Having said all of that, the bottom line is I still don't see the upside in redshirting him. Pay for his degree, tip your cap and thank him for his contributions on 4 NCAA tournament teams!

Sometimes it isn't bad to have a guy who understands that his role is limited and is willing to make the best of it. A guy who is willing to be ready regardless of if his last couple of games included 20 minutes of PT or no PT isn't a bad thing. Of course we would love to have a roster of top 100 guys but if that roster includes a guy or two who are completely negative because they think that they should be playing a lot more and are dragging others down with them then I'd rather have the guy who's contribution is limited but positive.

It's more compact and consistent. He really could be a 40% 3pt and 90% FT guy if he's got his confidence.

That confidence issue could be big. Eli seems like a pass first, team first player. Doesn't fit the profile of a shoot-if-open type. But if the best thing for the team is for him to let it fly then maybe that changes.

Eli and Talton are never going to be the go-to guy on the offensive end. They basically have three things they need to be relatively good at. Who ever does the cumulative better will play more.

1) Don't Turnover the ball
2) Stay in-front of their guy on defense
3) Shoot well enough to pull the trigger on a wide-open jumper

Last year Eli did these things better early in the season and Talton did them better late. I think Eli can be a completely serviceable PG. Eli didn't take care of the ball well enough late in the season, that was his ultimate downfall IMO.

Reactions: aik
Eli and Talton are never going to be the go-to guy on the offensive end. They basically have three things they need to be relatively good at. Who ever does the cumulative better will play more.

1) Don't Turnover the ball
2) Stay in-front of their guy on defense
3) Shoot well enough to pull the trigger on a wide-open jumper

Last year Eli did these things better early in the season and Talton did them better late. I think Eli can be a completely serviceable PG. Eli didn't take care of the ball well enough late in the season, that was his ultimate downfall IMO.

Haven't been reading this whole thread closely outside of my early post, but I think Talton's upside is far greater and it can be reached. End of last season really showed a lot about Talton. I was scratching my head the majority of last year over Talton (as were most). I'm not writing off Stalzer yet, though. All it takes is a summer of finding his touch and learning to knock down the open looks with consistency. (And your remarks on handing the rock are spot on). However, as it stands, I have an increasingly hard time seeing where Stalzer's minutes are going to come from in the future unless he finds that touch (and improves the PG basics).

Last edited:
I thought the practice scoop consensus is Chis Jenkins makes Reggie Miller look like a hobo. Does Stalzer have a better shot than Jenkins?

I'd heard Jenkins still had a long way to go to be a contributor for us. Outside of his jumper that is.

I'd heard Jenkins still had a long way to go to be a contributor for us. Outside of his jumper that is.

Is this from an informed source, or did you pick this up on the internet? I haven't heard any negatives, other than he's skinny. Some NBA guys are skinny.

Compare the 4 years of basketball leading up to CU for Stalzer and Talton and it's not close.

Stalzer played at a top 10 HS program, has traveled overseas for International Junior level competition.

Talton played small time Colorado Eastern Plains basketball, without ever playing elite level AAU.

I am closing the book on Stalzer. Need his scholarship back. Hope Tad was honest with him when he offered late and told him his window of oppty could be small.
Just my internet opinion by the way. Nothing meant to be overly harsh here. I just don't see Eli developing from here and I see a glimmer that Talton could really improve a lot from here.

Is this from an informed source, or did you pick this up on the internet? I haven't heard any negatives, other than he's skinny. Some NBA guys are skinny.

I wish I could remember where it was from, but it was info from someone who at least spends some time around the program. Basically the only thing we know he can do is shoot. That alone isn't going to get him on the floor.

I wish I could remember where it was from, but it was info from someone who at least spends some time around the program. Basically the only thing we know he can do is shoot. That alone isn't going to get him on the floor.
heh. this guy has scooooooooppppppppp

We could have used a spot up shooter last year.

Back