What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013 ASU Basketball Preview #2

RSSBot

News Junkie
Well that was fun.

With numerous regional luminaries in attendance (OMG, JOHN ELWAY! ALEC BURKS!), revenge was served over the course of CU's*71-58 win over #9 Arizona. *It may not have come as much of a bottom-line surprise, but it did come with a court-storming and an over-rated chant. *The Buffs now boost their resume with a second top-50 RPI win in as many weeks, and are back in contention for a first-round bye in the upcoming Pac-12 tournament.
Happy times in Boulder. *From: the BDC
There was no way any Pac-12 team was going to come in a beat CU in that atmosphere. *Backed by a packed house and a C-Unit at the top of it's game, the Buffs couldn't have asked for a better home court advantage. *It was everything I want the CEC to be: hot, sweaty, loud, dark, and hostile. *Given that setup, only a few teams in all of college basketball have a hope in hell of cracking the Buffs at home, and Arizona, as good as they may be, isn't one of them.

The big star of the game was Spencer Dinwiddie. *The young bucket-getter*followed up his perfect night in Corvallis with another strong performance leading the team. *21 points on 5-9 shooting (9-9 from the line!) to go along with seven assists (a career high) paced the squad. *More than that, however, many of his second half buckets-gotten were huge. *A three out of a timeout in the second half halted a 6-0 'Zona run. *After the 'Cats had cut the deficit to six with 11 minutes to go, he assisted on one three before notching a layup and another three to*balloon*the lead back out to 14.
Spencer dropped dimes and buckets all game long. From: BuffStampede.com
Of course the other big story from the stat sheet was the monster games had by everyone named Xavier. *It didn't come as much of a shock, considering how well he's been playing in Pac-12 games, but Xavier Johnson had another monster effort, dropping 19/9 on 7-9 shooting (4-5 from deep). *The freshman forward hit numerous key baskets throughout the game, and showed flashes of just how good he will be in future years. *The bigger surprise was the contributions from freshman guard Xavier Talton. *Infrequently used mostly as a stop-gap, the Sterling, CO native has been playing well of late, and it translated into seven minutes of high energy play that netted him six points and two steals. *Combined, the Xaviers came to ball, and it boosted the Buffs well past the point that 'Zona could be expected to contend.
Xavier was huge for the Buffs. *From: BuffStampede.com
Overall, CU once again lit up Arizona from deep. *In my preview, I openly fretted that CU couldn't possibly match their 9-20 effort from Tucson. *They didn't match it, they in fact improved upon it,*attacking the corners to notch 9-17 shooting from behind the arc. On the defensive end, the Buffs muted Arizona stars Solomon Hill and Mark Lyons to a combined 38% shooting from the floor with seven turnovers.

All around, just a solid night from everyone, from players to coaches to fans.

But the journey isn't over yet. *The story of the 2012-13 Buffaloes isn't even close to its final chapter, and is certainly far larger than any one game against Arizona. *There's another huge matchup*on the docket for Saturday evening, and I hope both the team and the fans bring the focus an execution that they had against Arizona back into the CEC for their tilt with Arizona State.

Tip-off from the roiling Coors Events Center is set for 7pm tomorrow. *Those not in the area can catch the action on ESPNU. *If you prefer, Mark Johnson will have the call on 850 KOA.

For reference, my preview from the first game can be found here.

Click below for my preview of the rematch...

Read more »
pj9HDQQcjC8

Well that was fun.

With numerous regional luminaries in attendance (OMG, JOHN ELWAY! ALEC BURKS!), revenge was served over the course of CU's*71-58 win over #9 Arizona. *It may not have come as much of a bottom-line surprise, but it did come with a court-storming and an over-rated chant. *The Buffs now boost their resume with a second top-50 RPI win in as many weeks, and are back in contention for a first-round bye in the upcoming Pac-12 tournament.
Happy times in Boulder. *From: the BDC
There was no way any Pac-12 team was going to come in a beat CU in that atmosphere. *Backed by a packed house and a C-Unit at the top of it's game, the Buffs couldn't have asked for a better home court advantage. *It was everything I want the CEC to be: hot, sweaty, loud, dark, and hostile. *Given that setup, only a few teams in all of college basketball have a hope in hell of cracking the Buffs at home, and Arizona, as good as they may be, isn't one of them.

The big star of the game was Spencer Dinwiddie. *The young bucket-getter*followed up his perfect night in Corvallis with another strong performance leading the team. *21 points on 5-9 shooting (9-9 from the line!) to go along with seven assists (a career high) paced the squad. *More than that, however, many of his second half buckets-gotten were huge. *A three out of a timeout in the second half halted a 6-0 'Zona run. *After the 'Cats had cut the deficit to six with 11 minutes to go, he assisted on one three before notching a layup and another three to*balloon*the lead back out to 14.
Spencer dropped dimes and buckets all game long. From: BuffStampede.com
Of course the other big story from the stat sheet was the monster games had by everyone named Xavier. *It didn't come as much of a shock, considering how well he's been playing in Pac-12 games, but Xavier Johnson had another monster effort, dropping 19/9 on 7-9 shooting (4-5 from deep). *The freshman forward hit numerous key baskets throughout the game, and showed flashes of just how good he will be in future years. *The bigger surprise was the contributions from freshman guard Xavier Talton. *Infrequently used mostly as a stop-gap, the Sterling, CO native has been playing well of late, and it translated into seven minutes of high energy play that netted him six points and two steals. *Combined, the Xaviers came to ball, and it boosted the Buffs well past the point that 'Zona could be expected to contend.
Xavier was huge for the Buffs. *From: BuffStampede.com
Overall, CU once again lit up Arizona from deep. *In my preview, I openly fretted that CU couldn't possibly match their 9-20 effort from Tucson. *They didn't match it, they in fact improved upon it,*attacking the corners to notch 9-17 shooting from behind the arc. On the defensive end, the Buffs muted Arizona stars Solomon Hill and Mark Lyons to a combined 38% shooting from the floor with seven turnovers.

All around, just a solid night from everyone, from players to coaches to fans.

But the journey isn't over yet. *The story of the 2012-13 Buffaloes isn't even close to its final chapter, and is certainly far larger than any one game against Arizona. *There's another huge matchup*on the docket for Saturday evening, and I hope both the team and the fans bring the focus an execution that they had against Arizona back into the CEC for their tilt with Arizona State.

Tip-off from the roiling Coors Events Center is set for 7pm tomorrow. *Those not in the area can catch the action on ESPNU. *If you prefer, Mark Johnson will have the call on 850 KOA.

For reference, my preview from the first game can be found here.

Click below for my preview of the rematch...

Read more »
pj9HDQQcjC8

Originally posted by The Rumblings of a Deranged Buffalo
Click here to view the article.

Back