1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 Colorado football's 10 things to know: And now we wait

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by cmgoods, Jun 27, 2013.

1. cmgoods

cmgoods Olympic Sports Mod Club Member

2. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

I just love these up lifting and positive reads about our beloved BUFFS (sarcastic font). Can not wait till the day all this crap about our recent history is over :bang:. It is like living a gif and getting kicked in the cherries over and over and - well you get it

3. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

I actually felt positive after reading the column. High praise for HCMM, but Embree won't be sending the writer a Christmas card, though.

4. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

This article does start to make you almost expect significant improvement in 2013. I sure hope so. It's been way too long since I have actually looked forward to watching a CU football game.

5. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

Article makes the point that we will most assuredly suck in 2013, but will improve in 2014. I agree with that sentiment. Even Alabama sucked under Saban in year 1. It will take time.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  6. nepbug

nepbug Active Member

Well, that article just made all the sunshine fall out of my ***.

I better go read some other threads to get some more sunshine blown back up there.

7. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I normally think that the 1st year is going to suck big time, and when you consider MM's first year at SJSU going 1-11 the history points to it.

With that being said, I think we are actually going to really enjoy big improvement this year. Last year goes down as easily the worst in CU history and was just simply stunning with the results. So while we will still be a losing team next year, I actually expect to see our statistical performances jump dramatically. I think if MM can get us to 4 wins in year one, it will be a good foundation year. Plus, I'd like to go to 7 CU games (6 home, 1 Denver) in 1 season and walk away at least once with that winning feeling, unlike last year.

8. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I guess it's a matter of perspective. I read it and it cements everything I already thought or knew.

First year coach's often struggle when there is a lack of "buy-in" from the players and a lack of talent. I think we are better of talent wise than most non-fans think, but we have no depth. The buy-in part is hard to gauge. Everyone always talks a good game. If there's any doubt about buy in from players, who are clinging to the Embree era, I would ask them to re-read paragraph one. Nearly last in EVERY category.

9. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

There were scholarship sanctions the first year he was at SJSU due to low APR scores, fwiw

10. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Trouble is that we were so horrendously bad last year that the team could be significantly better and still lose almost every game. Still we are coming off a 1-11 year with the average loss being close to four TDs and teams taking the foot off the gas to avoid further embarassing us.

My kool-aid stained prediction is that they can win 4 which would be a major step forward. My more realistic side says that 3 wins would be a decent season with our talent level.

11. DavieJM

DavieJM New Member

If we are able to win a few of our opening games and the players see and feel some improvement, I think the complete buy-in will come rather quickly. You've got to think that the team is ready, waiting, and just wishing for something to "click" for them (we all know they've been waiting for a while). And when it does, the flood gates will open in terms of that participation and trust Coach Mac is talking about. Just my opinion, but when you're in a **** pit for so long it only makes sense to gravitate toward anything that will get you out.

12. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Though I'm mentally preparing myself for 2 wins.

13. CUFan

I'll be happy with 2 wins if we are more competitive in the losses.

14. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

I want to see the team not quit too, particularly on defense. In about half of the games last season, we had given up by the 3rd possession.

15. CUFan

That's something I still don't understand. Who wants to go through the entire game just going through the motions? I cannot fathom we somehow recruited only kids that have no competitive spirit/pride. I assume they must have really hated Embree & Co. But I'm with you. Even more effort in the losses will make me happy.

16. jpbuff

jpbuff Active Member

I just want to be able to enjoy 4 good quarters of football in Folsom.

In 10 years I had never left a game early. Last year I think I left two games in the 3rd quarter.

Not asking for much, just be more competitive.

17. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Still scratching my head about optimism with our RBs. I keep reading how we are "set" there. What am I missing here?

18. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

Powell, Jones and Abron are a serviceable group. They won't strike fear in the hearts of opposing defensive coordinators maybe, but they are solid. I think we all know that your preference would be to bring in more speed to the group, but I understand why people aren't as worried about the RBs as they are about other position groups (TE, S, DE, OL).