1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 Colorado Non-Conf Schedule

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by absinthe, Dec 22, 2013.

1. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

For all the nay-sayers last year when we scheduled "the RPI-Killer Classic" I think this non-conf. schedule has been a resounding success (yes i am over looking Georgia).

- Big Win at home over KU
    - Undefeated at home
    - Neutral site losses to two ranked teams
    - Won every game we were favored in
    - 1-2 as a Dog

This is how you schedule and build a post season resume. If we play the way we should during the Confrence slate we'll be Dancing and enjoying our 4th 20 win season in a row.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Tad has figured out this RPI thing.

3. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Not only that but we are playing tough teams in neutral sites to get experience.

4. absinthe

You sure about that? Pretty sure ALlb uffs was belly aching pretty good when the schedule started to leak:

------

http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/88488-2013-OOC-Schedule?highlight=Martin

Some Dumb for you:

Some not so dumb:

some mildly psychic:

ShockerHoops likes this.
  5. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

1-2 as a dog, weren't we favored against KU?

To your point about the RPI killer schedule, people overreact to these things in real time.

6. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

No, at tip we were 2.5 pt dogs. It was pickem a couple hours before the game, than an hour or so before tip when news got out that Gordon wasn't going to play the line moved.

7. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Yeah the last time I saw it they were favored, but I still thought it be a huge win despite that.

8. absinthe

As JG alluded to, we were favored for about 12 hours of the lines existence when they thought Gordon was a go.

9. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

Can't read the other thread, but were all the complaints about RPI or were some about not having a good home slate? Ours fans haven't shown up except for Kansas.

10. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Wonder what we'll see with UGA this weekend being the holidays/Winter Break.

11. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

There was belly aching when most of the OOC schedule was leaked, but I'm not sure why my post was "dumb"at the time.

Thanks. It was nice of you to choose my post of many to label as dumb. My post was directed specifically to the Arkansas State, UT Martin, Jackson State, and Wyoming games, which were a major portion of our OOC schedule at that time. These games are some of the biggest RPI hits we take on our schedule this year.

This post was from BEFORE the Baylor and OSU neutral site games, or the Harvard home games were announced, and those are three of our biggest RPI boosters. Take those games away, and the non con schedule doesn't look so good.

I don't quite understand the point of labeling my post as dumb, as I think it was 100% correct at the time and I stand behind it. I suggest you do more homework before singling out old posts unless your only point was to come off as an asshole.

12. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Might also be good to wait-and-see before rushing to a judgment?

13. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I was not supportive of the Arkansas State, UT Martin & Jackson State "tourney". We'll see if they end up inside the Top 200. If they don't, then those wins don't do much for CU.

14. jgisland

I'm actually ok with the tournament. I get the RPI implications and all that goes with that, but what would have a stacked early season tournament have done for CU? CU has gotten progressively better as the season has gone on, there were times in all of those "tourney" games that CU looked rough. Those games gave CU's frosh a time to adjust to the college game while also gaining confidence getting wins. We've seen all of the freshman struggle at times this year, a 30 point loss getting run out of a gym could have killed some of these guys' confidence.

The schedule has actually been kind of genius IMO - you play a decent Baylor team early, one that you're familiar with and one that also lost their star PG and is in a bit of transition themselves, a game where a loss doesn't hurt you. Then you play the confidence building tourney, play a good UCSB team (that CU was actually lucky didn't have Alan Williams), then you build in competition against Harvard, KU and Okie St. with a few in-state rivals mixed in, then you have a quick tune-up against a rebuilding Georgia team before the conference schedule starts.

15. absinthe

You called the move "just plain stupid," and then piled on with your Tad needs to be questioned thing you were hung up on and constantly posting at the time. Only you did so when the work was half done, and you hadn't let the guy finish the job, so when he finished the job and we had a very solid OOC schedule that sets us up nicely for the Pac12 and the post season you get called dumb.

16. JPinCO

JPinCO VP of Quantified Self Club Member

Jeez, given our respectable record I wouldn't have expected all the purse-swinging going on right now.

17. GoonieBuff

Again, I wasn't the only one thinking this. It was right on at the time, and was based on the specific tournament. Show me this "constantly posting" where I was "hung up" on it at the time (if I posted more than a few times about this, then I'm sorry and agree with you).

I am and have been a huge Tad supporter. I just don't think he should never be questioned. I never wrote anything about how the final schedule couldn't be improved. How is questioning the OOC scheduling not letting Tad do his job? Based on previous seasons, it should've been a concern at that point. Also, the schedule was almost complete at the time, and we'll over "half done." Nobody was more impressed with how the scheduling turned out, and I even increased the number of season tickets that I purchase.

Also, I'm not sure why you feel the need to not put the post in the full context of when it was posted (prior to Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Harvard games being announced and based on poor scheduling history for RPI). If I ever said Tad sucks or that the schedule couldn't be improved, I'd agree with you and deserve flack. However, I didn't do this and was commenting that I wasn't happy with the current OOC schedule. Instead, I like to pretend that Tad listened to me and improved the schedule after that point. Delusional, I know, but fun to imagine.

I'm not sure why you're fixated on taking past comments out of context or in judging the validity of others' opinions, but if you think my opinion (along with bcs' and many others who expressed similar opinions in that thread based on the context at that time), then we're just in disagreement.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  18. GoonieBuff

I agree with this and you didn't resort to digging up posts out of context and there was no name calling. The OOC schedule worked out perfectly, and Tad came through in a big way.

Now, that "tourney" looks like we were able to work out kinks. Then, it looked like it could've been too much of an RPI drag, was Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Harvard hadn't been scheduled yet.

19. wyobuff

wyobuff Well-Known Member

I think that there's always going to be a few easy money games at home for some of the smaller schools, but I do hope that we start to play some of the tougher smaller schools (like ones that will be in the dance) or that are traditionally strong teams playing in a lower conference.
    We also need a few tough tests at home and on neutral courts (though I'd like to see some of these tests coming on the road as well).
    After getting burned in 2011, I think that the questioning of the non-con should be held until the full slate is out.

20. WizzersGhost

WizzersGhost Banned BANNED

:stupid: As I recall Goonie was the worst whiner about the OOC sked, as if KU, UK, Duke and MSU don't play more than their fair share of rag dolls. They just get two or three high profile games against each other and then, magically, their RPI goes through the roof!

21. absinthe

Apologies for piling on I should have let it go - we just have a lot of people around here who like to freak out before **** is all said and done. We'd all (myself included) do well to let things play out from time to time.

22. absinthe

Without a doubt, this is what frustrated me about this issue - I sat at an event with Boyle when JG point-blank asked him about scheduling and you could see and hear from Tad's response that 2011 was never going to happen again. So I get a little annoyed when the sky starts falling before the schedule gets set.

23. jgisland

That's exactly why I said, (and you quoted above), that I was going to hold out judgement until the OOC schedule was announced. When I asked Tad (the question was something along the lines of how much did getting left out of the tournament play into scheduling KU) he smirked and said "a little bit", which everybody in the room took it as it was 110% the reason he booked KU. He then went into that a lengthy response about how these early season tournaments are scheduled.....

FWIW - everybody that did complain about the "tournament" (Arkansas State, UT Martin, Jackson State, and Wyoming games) I do think it's important to note that a lot of these early season tournaments are scheduled and locked up years in advance. Tad mentioned it last year at that event that we were already locked into the Diamond Head Classic. These tournaments aren't scheduled the year before, they're scheduled years in advance. I don't know where the Bzdellik early season/Tad early season tournaments scheduling stopped and started, but I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't around that time.

And to Goonie's point earlier - Tad probably does get a pass from a lot of people and they don't question anything he does because of what he's done here to build the program, but I don't think he's going to under-schedule CU. We've heard the last 2 years about him saying "he probably over scheduled", I have a feeling we'll be hearing that a lot - getting left out of the tournament, when you have a house full of players, media and TV crews won't leave his mind anytime soon. Tad may have gotten burned once by scheduling and RPI, but I don't see it happening again.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  24. GoonieBuff

Thanks. Apologies from me as well. Being cooped up and surrounded by family can stress me out.

25. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

I see great improvement in the ooc schedule, however I'd like it more if they would schedule a true road ooc game. Traveling up/down I-25 isn't the quite the same. It's hard to simulate not only the focus of getting everything you need before leaving, but also staying in hotels, practicing in different gyms, different locker rooms and bench areas, different court, etc.

Then comes game day with lunatics screaming obscenities and swearing they know how many moles your mama has on the inside of her left thigh.

The trip to foco or the Springs might bring raucous crowds, and ooc tourneys can help with learning travel difficulties, but neither truly preps the team for what they'll encounter in Tucson, Seattle, Eugene, etc.

26. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Amen dude. Family can be the best and the worst at the same time.