What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013 OOC Schedule

UH, ski season? Obvious conflicts with just about every kids' sports? Aforementioned "winter break? Disappointing Conf. start? Cheap season tix---the kind you don't mind blowing off since its just a few bucks OoP? All those reasons and still only a 300 fan drop-off isn't bad.

I'll wait until the final OOC slate comes out before I get concerned. Last year's team still had some holes showing as well, anybody with even a mild interest in the program should recognize the depth and quality of this year's team,even without Dre. A couple of early 100 pt. blow-outs, showing some exciting fast-paced "O" (No 48-47 games thank you!), won't hurt in catching the eye of the casual fan, who doesn't focus on the opponent's RPI, like we all do here. But thern, we have a huge benefit in C'ville keeping everybody here well up-to-date in that regard.
Ski season REALLY? You could use that as an excuse every weekend. Ron Franklin mentioned that years ago on why CU could never become much of a basketball school.

The question that no one is asking is why aren't we in a real tournament? How is it that a bunch of mid-major programs are able to land tournament spots while us as a BCS conference school who's a pre-season top-25 team and who's been to the NCAA tournament the past couple of years can't get a spot? Someone screwed up, i'm guessing Boyle since he's in-charge of scheduling.

The question that no one is asking is why aren't we in a real tournament? How is it that a bunch of mid-major programs are able to land tournament spots while us as a BCS conference school who's a pre-season top-25 team and who's been to the NCAA tournament the past couple of years can't get a spot? Someone screwed up, i'm guessing Boyle since he's in-charge of scheduling.

I read something about a lot of these tourneys being slotted 3-5 years ahead of time (right when we were in a coaching transition). That played into it. CU not being a big national draw played into it. And not being able to go to one that already had a Pac-12 team in it played into it.

Still, I'm disappointed and the buck definitely stops with Tad in regards to hoops scheduling. The fans would have like to see the Buffs in a good tournament. The players would have liked it. The university and AD would have liked it. The conference would have liked it. Tad and his coaching staff would have liked it. It didn't happen. Tad didn't get this one done. Hopefully it never happens again.

For the second time in this thread the schedules are set for tournaments 3-5 years out. Typically the mid-majors and small schools commit to the tournaments BLIND hoping that good schools come in. CU has typically been lumped with those schools and was committing to tournaments blind. In some years it worked out (last year) in other years it back fired. Why specifically there is no tournament this year was likely a factor of a set of decisions during Bzdelik's last season or early in Boyles first season. At that point were were terrible, no one gave 2 ****s about us not even our fans who managed to draw half as many fans for opening night as we did last year for a last second Midnight madness event this past year.

While we all love the program and the support is there now, and we win now, but there basically was no basketball in Colorado from the 2003 David Harrison team until Tad Boyle. Our fans would do well to remember that, it is not like this is the football program. We've had near half of our historical 20 win seasons in the past three years. When Chancey was here we were lucky to get Coors Events half full. We are in completely uncharted territory for CU basketball and because of that we still have to deal with the realities of what came before. If something like this comes up in 5 years and we've continued to mint 20 win season and NCAA tourney's then feel free to bitch all you want but right now we are in a bed we made year ago.

Even if slots are arranged well ahead of time it's still a fluid process. The fields change overtime. Just a couple days ago Iowa was able to get a spot in the Atlantis tournament and Green Bay (Green Bay?) took the final spot in the Alaska Tournament. We really couldn't have gotten that spot? It's not a great field but it's better then our round-robin field and a tournament is better then no tournament.

Even if slots are arranged well ahead of time it's still a fluid process. The fields change overtime. Just a couple days ago Iowa was able to get a spot in the Atlantis tournament and Green Bay (Green Bay?) took the final spot in the Alaska Tournament. We really couldn't have gotten that spot? It's not a great field but it's better then our round-robin field and a tournament is better then no tournament.

Some one correct me if I am understanding this incorrectly but a tournament like the GAS will count towards OCC game limits where as ours should not. When asked by JG at an event Boyle said committing to a 2nd or 3rd tier tourney or accepting a late invite to one full of low RPI teams is basically the worst case scenario for us.

Some one correct me if I am understanding this incorrectly but a tournament like the GAS will count towards OCC game limits where as ours should not. When asked by JG at an event Boyle said committing to a 2nd or 3rd tier tourney or accepting a late invite to one full of low RPI teams is basically the worst case scenario for us.

I don't say this often, but your understanding is correct. This doesn't count towards our OOC game allotment.

And the question I asked started with "How much did adding Kansas to your OOC slate come from getting snubbed by the committee?" He laughed and said a "a little" (sarcastic font). He then went into a 10 minute dissertation on all of the nuances of scheduling, early season tournaments and how to schedule to the RPI. So everybody acting like he doesn't know what he's doing by scheduling these teams, relax, be patient and wait. There's a decent chance we are in for a couple of big names being added to the OOC schedule.

Seems Maryland would be a team we could add to bolster the OOC. Tad and their coach are buddies if I'm not mistaken.

Hmm. Seems it would be mutually beneficial, but oh well.
I'd love that home&home, but yeah not happening as long as both are at their current schools. Maryland has Oregon State this year at Comcast in the annual trip to allow Obama to see his bro-in-law coach.

We've talked a lot about CSU graduating their starting 5 and expecting them to fall back next year, but I think they may surprise a few folks.

Jon Octeus and Daniel Bejarano (a former 4* recruit who transferred from Arizona) both played significant roles off the bench last year and will step into larger roles, while Jesse Carr will be a sixth year senior who sat out last year due to injury, but should be a steadying influence on the backcourt.

Looking at the incoming class, we all know about Hurst and he'll pick up a lot of scoring slack left by Dorian Green, David Cohn is a strong shooter and Marcus Holt is big and athletic, if not a particularly great player. Eustachy is also doing a good job on the transfer market, landing JJ Avila, who averaged 16 and 7 as a sophomore at Navy 2 years ago, but did not play while attending a JC last year. He'll be eligible immediately. Finally, they're one of three finalists (along with KSU and Saint Louis) for former WSU commit Tanner Lancona, who is a 6'8" stretch 4 who would add some scoring punch.

Overall, I expect the Buffs to be far more athletic and make it two in a row in Fort Collins this year, but Eustachy's doing a good job with that program. I'd expect them to be in the RPI top 100 and make a postseason appearance, probably in the NIT. That's a chance for a really solid road win.

Last edited:
Octeus looked good against Louisville. He has that long basketball body that coaches love.

But you just can't lose 5 starters and pick up tight where you left off. If they keep rebounding like they did last year, they will do fine top 100 but I would be surprised if they made the dance.

Octeus looked good against Louisville. He has that long basketball body that coaches love.

But you just can't lose 5 starters and pick up tight where you left off. If they keep rebounding like they did last year, they will do fine top 100 but I would be surprised if they made the dance.
Yep, agreed on all counts. I was just pointing out that, for those who only see five starters leaving and assume they'll completely fall of the map, that may be a little premature. Also, for RPI purposes, we also have a shot at a really solid win.

Yep, agreed on all counts. I was just pointing out that, for those who only see five starters leaving and assume they'll completely fall of the map, that may be a little premature. Also, for RPI purposes, we also have a shot at a really solid win.

Funny I was more agreeing with you. I didn't really look at their roster until you posted. I hope they can get it together after we play them. We could use a nice RPI road win.

Funny I was more agreeing with you. I didn't really look at their roster until you posted. I hope they can get it together after we play them. We could use a nice RPI road win.

Sorry, I must've misread that last night.

We've talked a lot about CSU graduating their starting 5 and expecting them to fall back next year, but I think they may surprise a few folks.

Jon Octeus and Daniel Bejarano (a former 4* recruit who transferred from Arizona) both played significant roles off the bench last year and will step into larger roles, while Jesse Carr will be a sixth year senior who sat out last year due to injury, but should be a steadying influence on the backcourt.

Looking at the incoming class, we all know about Hurst and he'll pick up a lot of scoring slack left by Dorian Green, David Cohn is a strong shooter and Marcus Holt is big and athletic, if not a particularly great player. Eustachy is also doing a good job on the transfer market, landing JJ Avila, who averaged 16 and 7 as a sophomore at Navy 2 years ago, but did not play while attending a JC last year. He'll be eligible immediately. Finally, they're one of three finalists (along with KSU and Saint Louis) for former WSU commit Tanner Lancona, who is a 6'8" stretch 4 who would add some scoring punch.

Overall, I expect the Buffs to be far more athletic and make it two in a row in Fort Collins this year, but Eustachy's doing a good job with that program. I'd expect them to be in the RPI top 100 and make a postseason appearance, probably in the NIT. That's a chance for a really solid road win.

Lancona went to St Louis. Octeus literally made 7 3's all season which just isn't acceptable for a starting SG. Also apparently Carr isn't a lock to come back either. Holt also averaged 3 pts/game at his JUCO this last year. Their front court will be terrible (and would have been pathetic without Avila)

So in pulling numbers for the basketball finance discussion I came across something interesting in our 2010 schedule (you think I'd remember this as a season ticket holder, but I dont). It looks like we played a tourney with the early rounds at Coors event and the later round of site, but it gave us 17 home games for the year. Do we know if the current round robin plan will allow us to play more than the normal 15 at home again?

Good addition.

Colorado and Harvard have agreed to play in Boulder (contract still being signed) as the Crimson make their way to Anchorage, Alaska.

So, this is going to be early in the season if it's ahead of the Great Alaskan Shootout.

Good addition.

Colorado and Harvard have agreed to play in Boulder (contract still being signed) as the Crimson make their way to Anchorage, Alaska.

So, this is going to be early in the season if it's ahead of the Great Alaskan Shootout.

Much better than when Jeremy Lin came a few years ago. They're a Tournament-level program now.

I'm starting to think that Coach Boyle just got the ugly round-robin news out of the way early, and has nothing but solid schedule filler lined up for the rest.

So we have 3 more games left to schedule? Not a bad start with KU, OSU and Harvard among our first 9 games.

Agreed. It would good if they could get a tough away game and maybe another against an MVC opponent

When's the last time we even played a team from the MVC?

Damn, I'm an idiot, it was Wichita St in Puerto Rico, 2011. Prior to that, however, you have to go back to the 2000 NIT against SIU.

Last edited:
We are playing Baylor November 8th in Dallas. That means we are playing Baylor Nov. 8th, Kansas Dec. 8th, Oklahoma St. Dec. 20th and Harvard. That is a pretty solid non-conference slate for us. I am hoping we can get one more Top 30 team to play. Then I think we are set!

Back