1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 Recruiting Priorities

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by boydbuff, Dec 11, 2012.

1. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

Thinking about Mac's plan for a pistol/spread and 4-3/4-2-5 defense plus what we have on our roster, who is already committed, and the trends in the Pac 12, what should Mac's priorities be to round out this class?

We currently have 13 commits plus a few greyshirts. My first thoughts are:
    1) More speed receivers-we have 2 WR commits
    2.) More safety's and/or DBs (we have some great young DBs but shorthanded on safety and only 1 commit so far)
    3.) TE-I know we all hope we get Mitch. If Hobbs goes we REALLY need 1-2 more athletic TEs
    4.) LBs-We only have 1 LB commit and we haven't had great LB classes lately, and we just lost 2 good ones (although they didn't play incredibly well this year)
    5.) DE-need to bring the heat from the outside. Go TKJ

The other factor worth considering is we are likely to experience some transfers and attrition on our current team and potentially in the 13 commits we have too. So this class could maybe be bigger than was 1st anticipated-if there is enough time and enough quality recruits left.

Thoughts?

2. mac2012

mac2012 bigbang's sock

This class is going to suck. Limit the class size and try and get some JUCOs or transfers in.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

We need a few guys in the defensive back 7.

4. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

I have contemplated that idea of us going for a smaller class this year given the lack of time to recover. I am wondering though if the deep network Mac, et. al developed in Cali could result in a few flipped players that are worth it. Depending on who they finalize the staff with, it could also get a few Colorado kids to flip or commit (e.g. Mitch).

5. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Linebackers and safeties on defense, plus an honest assessment of OL on offense.

6. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

We're going to be in a world of hurt in the secondary again if we lose Crawley and Wright to transfers. Please note this is a speculative post, I'm not trying to imply that they are leaving, or even considering it...but as former 4* guys they would likely have the most contacts and potential landing spots.

7. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I'll go out on a limb here and say you aren't going to see much flipping from BCS schools.
    I would think they will assess some needs in the short term and go after guys they feel can play that may be committed to WAC or MWC types of schools.

I'd suspect they will use all the scholarships available to them. They are going to need bodies and I'm sure there's a long list of guys they didn't feel they could get to SJSU that they are in contact with this week.

With a small class by definition, they will finish up 12th and not good nationally. But even SJSU guys would make us better from where we are now.

8. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

With Kisima and Loud gone and Gilbert apparently looking, DE has become more of a position of need than it was a few weeks ago. Agreed that the back seven on defense is probably a greater concern, though. Have to imagine that some of those current RBs might be switching to the defensive side of the ball come Spring. Channeling my inner Duff, I'd target an upgrade of speed at the skill positions as well.

9. Buffnik

Speaking of RBs maybe becoming DBs, wasn't Creer even more heavily recruited as a Safety than he was as a RB? I think I remember that (too lazy to look it up).

10. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

Don't recall about Creer, but he's one of the guys I have in mind. Running out of a Pistol formation, I would think that maybe Norgard moves to LB. Not sure if Crowder has any experience on the other side of the ball, but I might give him a look over there as well.

11. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

WR, TE (Parsons), OL (assuming we drop someone), probably need a DE, 2 LBs, 2 S. Not sure if we have the numbers available for that, but that would be nice.

12. Wusnapper1

Wusnapper1 New Member

I really think they need to contact Tim Coleman from Mullen, dude is a player he got hurt his senior year but is the best defensive player in the state of Colorado.

13. Buffnik

Committed to CSU yesterday

14. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

I can't remember the last player we took that had an ACL injury in HS and actually made it through college healthy.

I think we should bring in a Kicker, either on scholarship or as a walk-on for sure. We need 1

15. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

San Jose St. is looking at a couple of pretty good (and BIG) safety's, hopefully we can flip at least one of them. They are also on to a pretty good looking WR

16. RalphieSpeaks

RalphieSpeaks Club Member Club Member

Yeah because JUCO's have worked out so well for CU in the past.

17. Jaximus

Jaximus Club Member Club Member

I think that Mike Mac will need to personally get everything he can from instate this year. With a short amount of time to recruit, I think he is best off maximizing his opportunity and leverage to go after the local kids.

Here are the kids I hope he makes a run at:

1) Mitch Parsons TE - He wants to be a Buff. Show him the light!
    2) Chris Fox OL - Best OL from CO in a while. Worth a shot.
    3) Dan Skipper OL - Won't stay at Tenn. Keep him in CO!
    4) Blake Nowland OL - Take one from CSU your 1st year at HC! Much better than Lisella...
    5) Austin Berk DE - Make that 2! Berk wanted to be a Buff and appears to be a hard-nosed defender. NEED.
    6) Tanner Gentry WR- He had a great senior year. He has great hands, is a playmaker and can be a Scotty McKnight type for us.
    7) Jake Bennett OL - Why not take 3 from little brother? If we miss on Fox and Skipper, I think Bennett will be a capable OG in college.

I know we may not get all 7 here. But with this short recruiting period, I'd like to see Mike Mac establish his in-state dominance. I'd like to see CU get at least 4-5 CO kids each year.

18. bigbang2

bigbang2 Typical, brain knowledge or the ability to have a

I do like

Tanner Gentry and Dan Skipper from Colorado. And we need to start recruiting some of the Valor Christian Juniors. Really like their OL. Issiah Holland I believe is the son of an ex Buff.

19. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

So since you're always on Skipper's dick, what exactly do you see in him that makes you like him so much?

20. Ozbuff

Ozbuff Member

Another example of why Tini and bigbang must be the same person.

21. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

No, no, no, no. I'm very insulted you would say that actually.

22. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Cornerback if Yuri, Jeffrey Hall, and Crawley leave. boy that would be bad

23. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

honestly, I can't think of a position other than QB, DT, and maybe RBwhere we don't have huge needs. and QB and RB only because we are already clogged there with no proven talent. Also worried about DT, but lots of young talent there.... and sigh, with us losing Kisima... DE is a need.

24. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

I just picture coach sitting down to really have a look at everything and just thinking "****, what have I done..."

25. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Until he sees his paycheck.

26. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

guaranteed win or lose