What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013 Starting QB?

From what we have seen on the field so far no question that Hirsch is more skilled but Wood looks to be stronger, faster, and more mobile based on the little we have seen and his recruiting vids, etc.. He still has to do something with it, my hope is that with a different staff and some maturity he develops into those athletic atributes. Doesn't mean a lot now but remember that Wood was very highly rated coming out of HS. Wood could end up as one of those guys who never meets expectations but if he does I see his ceiling as way higher than Hirsch.

I also don't trust Hirsch's feet. He has broken both of them and it seems like once guys start having problems with their feet the rate of re-injury if very high. I certainly hope for his sake that this doesn't happen to him but it is a consideration.

The physical ability means next to nothing when the accuracy is horrible.

The physical ability means next to nothing when the accuracy is horrible.

Agree, but accuracy sometimes has to do with coaching and sceme. This past staff made a lot of guys look bad. You may be completely correct and Wood be a wasted scholly. I just hope that with the right coaching and support he comes around and makes us a better team. I just don't think Hirsch is good enough or ever will be good enough to make us a better team.

Agree, but accuracy sometimes has to do with coaching and sceme. This past staff made a lot of guys look bad. You may be completely correct and Wood be a wasted scholly. I just hope that with the right coaching and support he comes around and makes us a better team. I just don't think Hirsch is good enough or ever will be good enough to make us a better team.

At some point, players have to produce. The first half of the Washington game was one of the worst halves by a Buff QB I have seen in a long time. Scheme had little to do with Wood airmailing a pass about 15 yards over his receiver's head and right to a defender.

At some point, players have to produce. The first half of the Washington game was one of the worst halves by a Buff QB I have seen in a long time. Scheme had little to do with Wood airmailing a pass about 15 yards over his receiver's head and right to a defender.
And then he threw a dart on nearly the same play, but yup agreed. Maybe he'll get better under Lindgren but I am having a hard time seeing it.

Again, I can't disagree. At the same time I am not ready to write him off. Having no F****** clue what you are supposed to be doing out there can result in airmailing balls and we had a bunch of guys, not just QBs who were in that situation under the JE staff last year.

So far Wood has produced virtually nothing as a Buff. Unfortunately nobody else has shown much I like either. He may turn out to be a complete flop but in my veiw he is at least worth putting some effort into as if he can get it together (no guarantees) he could be better than the other options being discussed by notable margin. I'm not saying give him the job, just saying give him a shot instead of writing him off. Fact is that if we don't get someone to step up this team is going to be bery bad again and I don't see guys like Hirsch having the ability to step up.

If Dillon doesn't win the job I think it's safe to say we're probably in serious trouble for next season. Maybe Lindgren can work a miracle and figure out how to teach Wood to stop punting footballs with his arm or find a couple of transplant feet for Hirschman. Webb is a different case because he simply doesn't have the arm to compete in college football.

If Dillon doesn't win the job I think it's safe to say we're probably in serious trouble for next season. Maybe Lindgren can work a miracle and figure out how to teach Wood to stop punting footballs with his arm or find a couple of transplant feet for Hirschman. Webb is a different case because he simply doesn't have the arm to compete in college football.

This is probably the most accurate post in the entire thread. Unless Dillon steps up or a significant change happens with someone else we are stuck.

Again, I can't disagree. At the same time I am not ready to write him off. Having no F****** clue what you are supposed to be doing out there can result in airmailing balls and we had a bunch of guys, not just QBs who were in that situation under the JE staff last year.

So far Wood has produced virtually nothing as a Buff. Unfortunately nobody else has shown much I like either. He may turn out to be a complete flop but in my veiw he is at least worth putting some effort into as if he can get it together (no guarantees) he could be better than the other options being discussed by notable margin. I'm not saying give him the job, just saying give him a shot instead of writing him off. Fact is that if we don't get someone to step up this team is going to be bery bad again and I don't see guys like Hirsch having the ability to step up.

I just do not understand why Wood gets pretty much a pass from you while the other QBs just are "not good enough". The coaches basically gave him the starting job on a silver platter last spring without much competition and he flopped. That should tell you something.

I just do not understand why Wood gets pretty much a pass from you while the other QBs just are "not good enough". The coaches basically gave him the starting job on a silver platter last spring without much competition and he flopped. That should tell you something.

You are missreading entirely. I don't give him a pass at all. In the time he had last year he stunk. All I am saying is that to write him off based off what he did under what may have been the worst college coaching staff in recent history is not rational, especially considering that none of the other guys have shown an ability to be the next Manning. The coaches did give him the job in Spring practice. They then took it away when Mr. Practice player Webb showed up.

My point is that A. Unless Dillon is ready to step up none of the QBs we have seen so far has shown himself to be capable.

B. With that in mind it would be foolish to write off the most highly rated and physically gifted of the others before he even gets a shot. Of the guys we have seen Hirsch has so far been the most effective, he has also been far short of what we need and I just don't believe he has a lot of room to get better. He may be the best of a bad lot but I'm not ready to accept that without at least looking for someone better.

:yeahthat:

I have nothing against Wood but some seem to be holding onto his recruiting ratings from 4 years ago. Wood was in the Texas program for one year and has been in the CU program for two years unfortunately he has shown little progress over that time.

Sometimes you don't get many opportunities so you have to make the most of the ones you get. Wood has not done that.

You are missreading entirely. I don't give him a pass at all. In the time he had last year he stunk. All I am saying is that to write him off based off what he did under what may have been the worst college coaching staff in recent history is not rational, especially considering that none of the other guys have shown an ability to be the next Manning. The coaches did give him the job in Spring practice. They then took it away when Mr. Practice player Webb showed up.

My point is that A. Unless Dillon is ready to step up none of the QBs we have seen so far has shown himself to be capable.

B. With that in mind it would be foolish to write off the most highly rated and physically gifted of the others before he even gets a shot. Of the guys we have seen Hirsch has so far been the most effective, he has also been far short of what we need and I just don't believe he has a lot of room to get better. He may be the best of a bad lot but I'm not ready to accept that without at least looking for someone better.

I'm not misreading anything. You keep talking about physical tools and high school ratings. Wood has demonstrated very little on the field or in practices (at two different schools no less) to indicate he can be a starting QB in a BCS conference. You keep saying "physically gifted" and I am trying to understand why, it sure did not show up in games.

They gave him the job and once they had seen enough, they went out and signed Webb. If Wood had shown anything in spring practices, Webb probably is not here. Hate on the coaching all you want, but at some point a player is probably just not good enough.

The coaches did not take it away from him, he was very disappointing coming out of Spring practice so the coaches did not declare a starter and went looking for someone to play the position especially with Hirschman's injury. The highly rated thing means nothing at this point in time, and the physically gifted is strictly your opinion based upon who knows what. Hirschman is bigger than Wood, has the same speed and the same arm strength.

To blame is all on the coaches is not right - Rip Scherer is a very experienced QB coach and Hansen improved under his coaching - Hirschman also progressed this year. Wood has not progressed at all.

They will all get a shot in the spring and if Wood wants the job he needs to step up.

Webb has no shot

I think he has a shot. He will separate himself in spring practices by reading and recognizing defenses better than all the other QB's. He has physical limitations but he looks to me like he would be decently suited for a Pistol type offense. I do not think he is the long term answer. I hope he doesn't win the job because I think his ceiling is very low. I do think he could lead us to 4 wins next year.

Back