What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 Class Grade

I'm going with a D+ or a C-

I'm mainly concerned that we lost so many recruiting battles - UT, Wash, ASU. That isn't a good sign.

What battles did we lose to Utah? We beat Utah out for a couple of our DLmen. Franke got offers from five PAC 12 schools. Keeney was held onto for dear life. Mattehews turned down ASU and OU. OSU and Utah tried to get in on Lee but couldn't. We beat several other BCS programs for Fields.

Just off the top of my head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the truth hurts, huh? I guess personal attacks make you feel better? It's won't change the fact that this group of coaches are easily the worst group of recruiters ever assembled at CU, and our PAC 12 south brethen will boat race this team until it is fixed. Ballage is another of the many failures of this staff.

Sure the truth hurts but you have spouted more negativity in 63 posts than anyone I've seen on this board that calls themselves a Buff fan. Not an attack, simply a fact. Basketball, football doesn't matter to you. You find fault with and hammer away at every flaw real or perceived.

Suggestion, with your views you would surely be much happier over at Buffscoop. You would find kindred souls over there, you know, your kind of guys.

the truth hurts, huh? I guess personal attacks make you feel better? It's won't change the fact that this group of coaches are easily the worst group of recruiters ever assembled at CU, and our PAC 12 south brethen will boat race this team until it is fixed. Ballage is another of the many failures of this staff.

2014 Pac-12 Rank: 10th
2013 Pac-12 Rank: 12th
2012 Pac-12 Rank: 8th
2011 Pac-12 Rank: 12th
2010 Pac-12 Rank: 11th
2009 Pac-12 Rank: 9th
2008 Pac-12 Rank: 3rd
2007 Pac-12 Rank: 4th
2006 Pac-12 Rank: 9th
2005 Pac-12 Rank: 8th
2004 Pac-12 Rank: 10th
2003 Pac-12 Rank: 3rd
2002 Pac-12 Rank: 2nd

That's the Rival rank of the CU classes among the 12 programs currently in the Pac-12.

On paper, there's not a lick of difference between the end of the Barnett era, the end of the Hawkins era, the Embree era and the MacIntyre era.

The only high-level recruiting we've seen was in the early Barnett era and the early Hawkins era.

We'll see where things are headed under MacIntyre, but I don't see how anyone could say with a straight face that this is "easily the worst group of recruiters ever assembled at CU". Especially if any consideration is given to the facts of what each coaching staff inherited. Barnett came in to a national power. Hawkins came into a solid program that had recently been a regular Big 12 North champion (for what that's worth) and bowl participant. Embree had a bowl game 4 seasons earlier and was coming off a 5-win season. MacIntyre came on board after CU was 6 years removed from a bowl and coming off a historically bad 1-win season that had made CU football a "D1 Bottom 5" national joke.

And the 2012 class on Nicks list is an outlier due to a number of recruits who had high rankings but who never contributed at CU.

If I were to grade not in comparison to the PAC12 but the class itself and considering the **** sandwich Mac is trying to do something with, I think a B- is fair. I like the JUCO transfers, particularly Sully, but wish we had more to compete immediately. Jury is out on everyone of course, but from 35K feet...seems the DL guys will have to prove themselves more than others I think. Overall I'm excited because this is Mac's first complete class and he wowed me last year with Gillam and a few others. This staff can ID talent like Keeney and can get progress out of them...unlike Embree's teams which only seemed to get worse.

I'm still keeping 4 wins as my reasonable expectation, but a hopeful but not out of bounds goal is a bowl game.

4 wins means a 1-8 conference record in all likelihood, that'd be a disaster and would kill MacIntyre on the recruiting trail

What battles did we lose to Utah? We beat Utah out for a couple of our DLmen. Franke got offers from five PAC 12 schools. Keeney was held onto for dear life. Mattehews turned down ASU and OU. OSU and Utah tried to get in on Lee but couldn't. We beat several other BCS programs for Fields.

Just off the top of my head

Texas.

You can spin it how you want, but we had visible recruiting battles over Ballange, Dotson, and Rodriguez - and we lost all of them. The only visible one that I see we won is Fields (which was great)

4 wins means a 1-8 conference record in all likelihood, that'd be a disaster and would kill MacIntyre on the recruiting trail

We were so uncompetitive in conference play, I'm not sure 1-8 is unlikely...if we are at least competitive in those games it will be an improvement. He needs to have 5-7 wins for next season to be a success and keep this rebuild going in the right direction.

Texas.

You can spin it how you want, but we had visible recruiting battles over Ballange, Dotson, and Rodriguez - and we lost all of them. The only visible one that I see we won is Fields (which was great)
So how is ER a backup option to Texas when he was the first OL they contacted? Throwing Mac Brown in there doesn't prove anything, there's a new staff that made ER a priority. I'm not spinning it, you're just being ignorant of the whole situation and are choosing to be selective.

Sure the truth hurts but you have spouted more negativity in 63 posts than anyone I've seen on this board that calls themselves a Buff fan. Not an attack, simply a fact. Basketball, football doesn't matter to you. You find fault with and hammer away at every flaw real or perceived.

Suggestion, with your views you would surely be much happier over at Buffscoop. You would find kindred souls over there, you know, your kind of guys.

I think he's here because even his kindred souls don't show up over there to talk to him any more...

So how is ER a backup option to Texas when he was the first OL they contacted? Throwing Mac Brown in there doesn't prove anything, there's a new staff that made ER a priority. I'm not spinning it, you're just being ignorant of the whole situation and are choosing to be selective.

:lol:

Let the excuses flow!

We'll see where things are headed under MacIntyre, but I don't see how anyone could say with a straight face that this is "easily the worst group of recruiters ever assembled at CU". Especially if any consideration is given to the facts of what each coaching staff inherited. Barnett came in to a national power. Hawkins came into a solid program that had recently been a regular Big 12 North champion (for what that's worth) and bowl participant. Embree had a bowl game 4 seasons earlier and was coming off a 5-win season. MacIntyre came on board after CU was 6 years removed from a bowl and coming off a historically bad 1-win season that had made CU football a "D1 Bottom 5" national joke.

:iagree: And I don't see how you can beat the staff too much over Ballage. I'm sure they gave their best. Recruiting news has been littered with stories over the past few weeks of staffs that have lost out on important players, Auburn being one that quickly comes to mind. Was Ballage important to us, of course. Is his loss the end of the world, no. UCLA lost out on him too. Are they the second most incompetent group of recruiters in college football? As a program (and that is what this is about) we just don't have much to offer Blue Chip recruits right now and the hole instate that the staff must dig out of from previous recruiting staffs is pretty deep right now.

I will keep this in mind next time one of our sales reps complains about his goals. It's all about results, and the staff lost a player who was COMMITTED.

I will keep this in mind next time one of our sales reps complains about his goals. It's all about results, and the staff lost a player who was COMMITTED.
Because I am saying differently. Holy ****, is that really what you got out of those posts?

Reasonable expectations are critical just as reasonable sales goals are a critical part of sales management.

This said are you going to penalize a salesperson who manages to get an opportunity to pitch a potential client despite the fact that the client already has a supplier who they are happy with. That supplier also currently has a better product at the moment and has had much more favorable reviews in the industry. The main thing you have to offer is that you are local.

Recruiting is selling but despite the one day wonder seminars a lot of selling is dependant on the product you have available right now. You can pitch your vision and promise better product in the future but most buyers pay a lot more attention to the product right now.

it could be argued that considering the product he has available right now that M2 has done an excellent job getting prospects to listen to him and in finding potential prospects before the competition gets to them.

Tini gonna Tini.
Ah yes, looking at the whole class and not being nearly as selective as Dio is. Is the class anything special? No it's not, but while we lost ER, Dotson, and now Ballage we also held onto players like Keeney, Franke, landed Fields, etc. All I am saying is that this goes both ways, MacIntyre just didn't lose a ton of kids and only held onto kids no one wanted.

Reasonable expectations are critical just as reasonable sales goals are a critical part of sales management.

This said are you going to penalize a salesperson who manages to get an opportunity to pitch a potential client despite the fact that the client already has a supplier who they are happy with. That supplier also currently has a better product at the moment and has had much more favorable reviews in the industry. The main thing you have to offer is that you are local.

Recruiting is selling but despite the one day wonder seminars a lot of selling is dependant on the product you have available right now. You can pitch your vision and promise better product in the future but most buyers pay a lot more attention to the product right now.

it could be argued that considering the product he has available right now that M2 has done an excellent job getting prospects to listen to him and in finding potential prospects before the competition gets to them.

If your seller can't sell the inferior product, then you have the wrong seller.

Texas.

From the luncheon today we had quite a few recruits that after they committed to CU about half of the PAC 12 offered and made big pushes.

PROS

Micro-level
1. Big time upgrades in speed/athleticism at the WR position.
2. Filled a big need area at TE.
3. Added some athletic DL that should be good options at DT down the road.

Macro-level
1. Recruited all over California, especially in previously untapped areas in northern California.
2. Effectively leveraged connections at schools like Mission Viejo, Chaminade, St. John Bosco, and even Serra (getting Ihenacho to visit).
3. Saw several players signed in person at camps.
4. Put much more effort into in-state recruiting.

CONS

Micro-level
1. Did not adequately address pass rusher needs.
2. Did not upgrade speed/athleticism at LB.
3. Missed on two JUCO OTs and lost Rodriguez at the last minute.

Macro-level
1. Generated little interest from blue chip players.
2. Landed only two players from the state of Texas. Seven players took official visits to Boulder.
3. Shut out in the Inland Empire, Arizona, DFW, and Houston.
4. Only used 36 out of 56 official visits allowed.

From the luncheon today we had quite a few recruits that after they committed to CU about half of the PAC 12 offered and made big pushes.
Thanks. That makes me feel better about this class. Already feel good about them, but it's like having a hot girlfriend...it's kinda cool when other guys want her too. :lol:

Before you grade, you need to determine a couple things. What's an A? Nabbing 4 blue chippers just isn't realistic? Do all lesser schools get D's because they worked within their framework?

No, I think before you grade you have to think about what the best case was for the team's situation and then measure them against that. In that case, I think the team gets a B+. They did great work with what they had available. They uncovered some gems and put together a decent class.

Roger that!

Why did we only use 36 officials? Not enough kids interested? I don't know much about this process but I assume you typically use them all.

We can really only grade this class at the moment on paper. Since we are finishing below average in conference I would say it must be below a C (on paper). However, I think there is real hope this class can grade out much better once we actually see them all perform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From Nik:
"We'll see where things are headed under MacIntyre, but I don't see how anyone could say with a straight face that this is "easily the worst group of recruiters ever assembled at CU". Especially if any consideration is given to the facts of what each coaching staff inherited. Barnett came in to a national power. Hawkins came into a solid program that had recently been a regular Big 12 North champion (for what that's worth) and bowl participant. Embree had a bowl game 4 seasons earlier and was coming off a 5-win season. MacIntyre came on board after CU was 6 years removed from a bowl and coming off a historically bad 1-win season that had made CU football a "D1 Bottom 5" national joke."

I almost posted this on the Bohn thread, but decided to put it here after reading this. It seems many posters on this board forget that after the scandal, partly due to reputation, and partly due to odd restrictions, Barnett could no longer recruit to CU. He had to go at that time. If he had stayed, the recruiting would have been non-existent in state, and limited to desperate situations from out of state. So, the recent B12 N championship meant little to recruiting. Hawkins classes were purely on his rep at Boise State.

Back