1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 MBB Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by aik, Mar 12, 2014.

1. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

With apologies to Lefty for starting this round of dismissals and rampant speculation, here we go.

First power conference casualty to be confirmed is Auburn's Tony Barbee. Did not get Auburn into a postseason tourney in 4 seasons.

Surprised last year didn't result in either Coach Prioleau or Coach Rohn getting poached. Can't wait to get nervous hearing the rumors this offseason.

2. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Does TCU fire their coach? That would be a good fit for Prioleau

3. aik

It would be a very good fit. As of today nothing's been announced. I wonder if they'll use the excuses of Trent J. only having two years with the last coach's guys and being newbies to a real conference to keep him around. 0-fer in any conference seems inexcusable. It did in Melvin Watkins at A&M a decade ago and he had several decent seasons.

4. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Only Trent Johnson's second season and that's a serious rebuilding job that needs five years groundwork. Doubt they'd have the money to fire Johnson even if they wanted to. And for Pri's sake, that is not a situation you want to take over as a first time head coach, regardless of his past time there (see: James Johnson at Virginia Tech). TCU is a lower MWC level basketball program trying to compete in the Big XII. Brutal situation.

5. aik

Correct. TCU basketball was nothing like Utah football transitioning to a bigger conference after having huge success as a midmajor. End of career Billy Tubbs was the best they ever had it there. They've been competitive in games like last year but no signature upsets this time around.

6. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

This. He also has 4 more years at $1.5 million a season. Hard to see them being able to afford that.

Also, I think TCU only had 7 healthy scholarship players on their roster for chunks of this season. Even if completely healthy, they wouldn't have been very good, but they would have won some games.

7. nolabuff

nolabuff Club Member Club Member

Mike Dunlap to Loyola Marymount. He should do well there.

8. aik

Wonder if he'll retain Coach A?

9. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

10. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Tough spot at Rice. Braun can coach, though.

11. sliderNcider

I imagine Rohn and or Prioleau will have to start out at a mid-major type school. They lost a lot for their job candidacy with Spencer's injury and a potential Sweet 16 berth

12. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

A good AD can see through that type of thing though.

13. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

That's where most folks start. Nothing wrong with taking the HC job at a Bradley or Northeastern or something.

14. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

You mean I can't start as a CEO at Fortune 500 company?

15. sliderNcider

Enfield has a 0% chance of landing the USC gig if they lost in the first round, and a much smaller chance if they only win one game. IMO. (HC=/=Assistant, I know)

16. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I'm aware, I stand by my point though. I think it's easier for a mid-major HC to land as a head coach at a major program than an assistant coach like Rohn or Prioleau excluding those who get promoted from within.

17. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

18. PAHIBuff

PAHIBuff Club Member Club Member

I wonder when Metro State's Derrick Clark gets a move up and out of Div II.

19. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

20. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

21. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Figured you'd be happy about this. Usually I favor giving coaches more of a chance than this, but it appeared to be cutting their losses.

22. aik

I think some people have negative opinions of Seth Greenberg, I can't recall what for, but VT was not going to do better than him when they fired him. Tough program to re-energize. Who's on the short list?*

*Edit: None of you smartasses say Bud Foster

23. torerobuff

torerobuff Dancing is forbidden Club Member

According to my in the know Va Tech grad friend, Mick Cronin, Chris Mack (who he says is also a strong contender for Wake), Mike Lonergan from GW, Chris Mooney from Richmond, and Derek Kellogg from UMass. Not a very short list, but, still a list.

24. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Mike Lonergan from GW is a name I've seen floated

25. aik

The first two would be a coup for them. Those were names tossed around for the UT job last fall. Cronin in particular would be huge if they could get him.

26. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Hokie could probably speak to this better than I could, but the (old) AD talked about how he didn't like the fact that assistant coaches were leaving on a consistent basis and for what he considered lateral moves. Like James Johnson went to Clemson and then returned to VT after Greenberg was fired.

I think it was one of those, they weren't just happy going to the NIT and thought they could go to the NCAAs on a more regular basis.

Former Gary Williams assistant, unfortunately for him, the Terps are stuck with Turge for atleast the next few years given his contract situation/the MD AD financial situation.

The ACC is a bigger conference sure, but don't know if that move is worth it.

Mick Cronin probably makes the list because the AD at VT used to be Cincy. Do we start to get worried about Tad bolting to Cincy now?:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
  27. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

I would be surprised if a Cronin went from Cincinnati to VT but maybe now that Babcock is their AD he could convince Cronin to come join him.

28. aik

I forgot about that. I wonder if they made him agree to something like one year of non-poaching from Cincy.

29. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

Key word in your post is "when". Seth got fired in late April -- you're right, at that point there was nobody available.

message board speculation also includes Ben Howland (I'm sure you Pac guys have something to offer on that note), Buzz Williams (not happening on VT's hoops budget) and Russell Turner (UC-Irvine, never heard of this guy before today). Of course, most of us spoiled VT fans want Shaka Smart (VCU). Haven't heard Kellogg.

30. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

The only time I've seen that was ASU with Patterson. My guess is ASU had a lot of leverage there with Patterson's contract.

Shaka Smart is the ultimate pipe dream, he wouldn't even go to Illinois or Minnesota (where his former boss was). I can't see Ben Howland, but who knows.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014