What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 MBB Coaching Carousel

Define "near".

Never seriously considered taking that job. Can't comment one way or the other as to how much he spoke to anyone at A&M. Never directly asked Tad that question.

Never seriously considered taking that job. Can't comment one way or the other as to how much he spoke to anyone at A&M. Never directly asked Tad that question.

Ok yeah, I'm good with that. There were definitely conversations though, from what I was told.

thanks guys. the radio talking heads said it was much closer to happening than what was reported.

Are there any head coaches or assistant coaches that didn't graduate college?
Almost all schools (if not all) require that a full-time coach have at least a bachelor's. When Sidney Lowe was hired by NC St, he enrolled in some program to get a degree.

ESPN reporting he didn't graduate from UK like he put on his records...dumb, dumb move

And now Manhattan may not be able to take him back even if they want him if they also require bachelor's degrees for their coaches. Could ultimately parlay a magical basketball season into unemployment.

And now Manhattan may not be able to take him back even if they want him if they also require bachelor's degrees for their coaches. Could ultimately parlay a magical basketball season into unemployment.

Papa Pitino will swoop him up...have him get his degree and he will be back in coaching in a year or so

Not interested or told he was not a serious candidate? Better to state you are not interested when you were told via back channel sources you are not being considered. Just a guess on my part but pretty standard response when a coach is told no.

This. BC didn't want him so he took the "not interested" route.

Does anyone know how these coaching searches work? Do the coaches just submit a resume and then the background check verifies it? I have a university job, and while I'm sure the process is different than for a coaching search, I had to submit proof of degree with my application materials. Seems like that would save a lot of embarrassment for the school and coach if they cleared that up front.

Does anyone know how these coaching searches work? Do the coaches just submit a resume and then the background check verifies it? I have a university job, and while I'm sure the process is different than for a coaching search, I had to submit proof of degree with my application materials. Seems like that would save a lot of embarrassment for the school and coach if they cleared that up front.
With the way college sports has changed, search firms play a bigger role in the process than they used to. They are supposed to vet the candidates and uncover this stuff.

For the major sports and probably even so the minor sports at a big school, they find you not the other way around. Public schools in many cases are required to post jobs online, but that's more procedural than anything, they aren't going to consider, people who are completely off their radar who just happen to meet the requirements.

With the way college sports has changed, search firms play a bigger role in the process than they used to. They are supposed to vet the candidates and uncover this stuff.

For the major sports and probably even so the minor sports at a big school, they find you not the other way around. Public schools in many cases are required to post jobs online, but that's more procedural than anything, they aren't going to consider, people who are completely off their radar who just happen to meet the requirements.

I understand all that. Just saying that whoever is doing the initial search/vetting should confirm these things up front, before offers are made and final background checks start.

I understand all that. Just saying that whoever is doing the initial search/vetting should confirm these things up front, before offers are made and final background checks start.
Yep no doubt, it's amazing between this, the Rutgers hires (AD/MBB), and George O'Leary, that these things weren't uncovered sooner.

Manhattan: Steve Masiello on leave (ESPN)

"As a result of a background check commissioned by the University of South Florida, Manhattan College has learned there is a question of the validity of head men's basketball coach Steve Masiello's undergraduate degree from the University of Kentucky," reads a statement from Manhattan. "Masiello is currently in the process of reviewing his degree status with the University of Kentucky. Manhattan College has placed Masiello on leave while he completes this process with the university."

Amaker is the leading candidate to get the BC job and if he doesn't take it then Cuse assistant Mike Hopkins would likely be their next candidate.

Would Mike Hopkins even take it given the fact he's likely going to take over for Boeheim?

Can see Boeheim coaching another 5 years....seems pretty healthy and still passionate about the game....he is entering the final year of his contract though so that will be interesting to watch.

He says he would leave but that it would have to be pretty special and a perfect storm type of situation. BC doesn't sound like that place.
That's kind of the typical, "never say never" answer. Izzo has been doing that as well. Basically they don't want to make a Sherman-esque statement. Last thing these guys want to get caught up in is a Nick Saban situation where they say they aren't leaving for some place (on the record) and they do. In the end, did it hurt Nick Saban though?

Coaches are in a tough spot on this. For fan/booster support, recruiting and relations with existing players & the university administration, it's important to make it clear that they are committed to their current job. We all understand in our own lives that if someone wants to double our salary for essentially doing the same exact job, we'll damn sure entertain the offer. Coaches (and pro athletes) are no different, but somehow we expect them to be.

Back