What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 NFL Draft Early Entrants

So how far down in the draft does PRich have to fall before we start to second guess his decision? I'm less than confident with each passing day regarding his payday. Hope to be very wrong on this.

PRich has to show well at the combine or at the pro timing day. If his speed is what I think it will be I think he will be okay. I still think second or third round.

I agree with you to a large extent. Most of the top RBs in the NFL are at home playing golf for the playoffs. Denver spent a 2nd on Montee Ball who while coming on well in the second half of the season hasn't made a big impact and a 3rd on Ronnie Hillman who may only still be on the team because they like to give draft choices every chance to stick. There are FA backs who have certainly performed better than Hillman and you could argue Ball.

That said I wouldn't look at picking him as much as a RB as I would a potential game breaker. He would be your PR/KR and a utility guy at RB/WR. Certainly not saying use a high pick on him but if he dropped into the 4th/5th/6th he could well be worth a look.

His speed and elusiveness makes him potentially a special talent. Those guys are always worth a look.
How has Ball not made an impact? Since the New England game he has averaged 6.6 yards a carry and has been the Broncos leading rusher. He also out rushed Reggie Bush since the New England game.

How has Ball not made an impact? Since the New England game he has averaged 6.6 yards a carry and has been the Broncos leading rusher. He also out rushed Reggie Bush since the New England game.

550 Yards is a nice contribution but nothing spectacular. He has had some good games and a couple of big runs but hasn't shown himself yet to be a game breaker type. He has shown that he is a dependable producer who can keep you on schedule and bang wearing out a defense.

Moreno is still the starter but he is already a fifth year guy which is past the average life of a RB and has a history of injury. I think the point of the post I responded to was that there are a lot of productive backs in the NFL that carried a price tag lower than a 2nd round pick. I like Ball but it is looking more like Hillman was a waste of a 3rd rounder. Holic was commenting that he didn't want to see Denver spend another choice on a RB. My point is that with Ball we have a good candidate for a future starter type to carry the majority of the workload on first and second down. Because of a guy like Ball we could afford to draft a guy like Thomas in the mid-rounds of the draft who would give us a situational guy with explosiveness and a home run threat who also could give us a threat similar to Holliday on returns without the bad judgement and some versatility to be a reciever coming out of the backfield or the slot.

Here's one person's projections on the now 17 underclassmen receivers entering the draft

BdZ6sdbCcAAKjEq.png

Here's one person's projections on the now 17 underclassmen receivers entering the draft

BdZ6sdbCcAAKjEq.png

So saying that at least 8 of the 32 teams take a WR in the first round. This assuming that no senior WRs are taken that high.

I don't understand why all these receivers are coming out.

So saying that at least 8 of the 32 teams take a WR in the first round. This assuming that no senior WRs are taken that high.

You figure a lot of these players will drop some. I don't know much about the seniors, but the experts were saying that WR was the weakest position in this draft before the juniors declared.

You figure a lot of these players will drop some. I don't know much about the seniors, but the experts were saying that WR was the weakest position in this draft before the juniors declared.

There are 32 first round picks.

I have seen speculation (predictions) of up to 6 QBs going in the first round. In normal years there are usually at least 5-6 OTs taken and an equal number of DTs.

If you assume that based on this you have 16 players taken at those positions and another 8 WRs that leaves 8 picks for DBs, DEs, RBs, TEs, Interior OL. It has become a pass happy league but I just don't see that balance happening.

550 Yards is a nice contribution but nothing spectacular. He has had some good games and a couple of big runs but hasn't shown himself yet to be a game breaker type. He has shown that he is a dependable producer who can keep you on schedule and bang wearing out a defense.

Moreno is still the starter but he is already a fifth year guy which is past the average life of a RB and has a history of injury. I think the point of the post I responded to was that there are a lot of productive backs in the NFL that carried a price tag lower than a 2nd round pick. I like Ball but it is looking more like Hillman was a waste of a 3rd rounder. Holic was commenting that he didn't want to see Denver spend another choice on a RB. My point is that with Ball we have a good candidate for a future starter type to carry the majority of the workload on first and second down. Because of a guy like Ball we could afford to draft a guy like Thomas in the mid-rounds of the draft who would give us a situational guy with explosiveness and a home run threat who also could give us a threat similar to Holliday on returns without the bad judgement and some versatility to be a reciever coming out of the backfield or the slot.
That makes sense. I just thought it was unfair to say he hadn't made an impact this year.

There are 32 first round picks.

I have seen speculation (predictions) of up to 6 QBs going in the first round. In normal years there are usually at least 5-6 OTs taken and an equal number of DTs.

If you assume that based on this you have 16 players taken at those positions and another 8 WRs that leaves 8 picks for DBs, DEs, RBs, TEs, Interior OL. It has become a pass happy league but I just don't see that balance happening.

No way 8 WRs go in the first.

14 RBs and 18 WRs have declared early for the draft. Sounds like some people will go undrafted.

Bortles is the #2 QB right now on draft boards

Do you mean experts like Mel Kiper draft boards or do you mean the 32 NFL teams drafts boards?

I don't buy the Bortles hype. He has a good arm, but didn't really run a NFL offense in College. Reminds me a lot of Blaine Gabbert. Hopefully he has more success than Gabbert. Not a top 10 QB. The only top 10 QB in the draft in my opinion is Bridgewater(sp).

I think a certain 2014 Heisman trophy lock may have miscalculated in deciding to be one of those 14 RB....

I don't know what he is going to lose. If he were a dedicated student working on a degree and a related future he would miss out on another year of free school.

From a football standpoint another year isn't going to make him more appealing to the pros. He would be running behind a completely rebuilt offensive line with a likely drop off in production.

He had a great year in the MWC this year but the same issues that will hold him back this year from being a high draft choice are going to be there next year. He isn't going to get markedly faster or quicker (unless he gets on the tini' plan, or is it the BB plan.) There are a lot of RBs in the draft this year but there are also going to be a lot next year and the following year.

If he thinks he has a good chance this year he might as well go for it. It isn't likely to get better by him staying. He also had some injury issues this year that were minor enough to overlook. If he comes back and gets hurt again then he becomes one of those cronically injuried guys.

Do you mean experts like Mel Kiper draft boards or do you mean the 32 NFL teams drafts boards?

I don't buy the Bortles hype. He has a good arm, but didn't really run a NFL offense in College. Reminds me a lot of Blaine Gabbert. Hopefully he has more success than Gabbert. Not a top 10 QB. The only top 10 QB in the draft in my opinion is Bridgewater(sp).

I strongly disagree, I believe JFF is a top-10 pick. Especially for a small market team like Jax. Granted Jax doesn't actually have that bad of attendance(more than the steelers) the perception around the country is that nobody goes to the games. With Johnny the tarps will come off and. Seats will be filled.

I think Manziel is a good NFL QB and will have some success... but if I was an NFL gm I don't touch him with a ten foot pole. You would have to change around your whole offense for him, and I don't see him lasting more than a couple seasons health wise.

I think Manziel is a good NFL QB and will have some success... but if I was an NFL gm I don't touch him with a ten foot pole. You would have to change around your whole offense for him, and I don't see him lasting more than a couple seasons health wise.

Not to mention that he is nuts.
Sumlin's offensive system makes QBs look good in college, but that hasn't translated well to the League.

Would not be on my draft board at all.

I strongly disagree, I believe JFF is a top-10 pick. Especially for a small market team like Jax. Granted Jax doesn't actually have that bad of attendance(more than the steelers) the perception around the country is that nobody goes to the games. With Johnny the tarps will come off and. Seats will be filled.
Jags haven't had a blackout in a while. They have too many seats because of the Florida/Georgia game. It's the smallest market in the league after Green Bay, under normal circumstances it shouldn't seat more than ~65k

Cal DT Viliami Moala becomes third underclassman on Bears defense to enter the draft

Not to mention that he is nuts.
Sumlin's offensive system makes QBs look good in college, but that hasn't translated well to the League.

Would not be on my draft board at all.

I think any of the QBs who come out of the college spread or read-option offenses are a higher risk than those who have run a more traditional pro set. There is always the question of if they can adjust to making the much more complex reads required in the pro game.

Manziel is a very high risk because of his maturity issues and proven lack of self-control.

He could very well turn into a decent pro QB but it may be very dependant on him going to a franchise that has a team environment that will help him stay focused. If he ends up at a place like Oakland, Cleveland, etc. where players have had a history of going off track in various ways he is much more likely to flame out.

Back