What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 Oregon State @ Colorado Basketball Game thread

Unless we magically find some outside shooting, which hasn't been there all season, Oregon will mud hole us Sunday. They simply have more scorers and overall talent.

Butt ugly game. It was hard to get excited about it. Decent crowd, though. I'm going to stab a kitten if every team that comes in here plays the same kind of game that OSU did tonight. Downright painful. I think I sprouted a tumor.

Ski played one of his best games as a Buff tonight. He has always struggled against OSU because of their length, but he stayed patient on offense while letting his defense take over the game. Steals, constant pestering, incredible energy and even hit the glass. He wasn't going to let us lose tonight.

Loved seeing J-Hop step up with a good game after recent struggles. I'm not even talking about his offense. His on-ball defense against Nelson was really impressive for a freshman matched up with the leading scorer in the conference.

Spencer had a rough night scoring and this officiating crew did not seem to like him too much. Lots of cheap fouls called on him, but he got mauled on a drive with no call. Tad just might have burst a vein in his head on that one. And this is the first game all season where I didn't see the refs calling hip checks, arm bars and movement on screens. Spencer got the **** beat out of him on the perimeter on that while trying to guard Nelson.

Wes showed some flashes of the offensive moves I'd been hearing about. And both he and Scott probably had their best game as Buffs blocking shots on the interior. Fun to watch those guys when they're dialed in on defense like that.

Last, our front court was so quiet in the 1st half. I'd assume Tad had some words in the locker room about being -8 on the glass and about not feeding the post on offense. Because XJ, Scott and Wes were on a whole other level in the 2nd.

Ugly game. OSU always forces an ugly game against CU. But our Buffs fought through poor shooting, poor rebounding and a lights out 3pt shooting night by the Beavs to come away with the win. Impressive. Also impressive was a crowd of just under 10k despite hardly any students being there.

Buffnik stated it well above, my thoughts exactly.

All the opposition has to watch the type of CU v Wyo and they'll see that the Buffs go meek when faced with a 2-3 zone and an offense that runs clock. I think we'll see other Pac-12 teams that can't match up well with the Buffs.

I've got to hand it to the Buffs for persevering in a game that wasn't played at their pace or in their style.

1. Agree with points raised by DBT and Buffnik wondering why frontcourt wasn't taking it to the hoop more. I don't want to pretend that I saw something that Tad didn't catch -- I think he's a great coach and I'm admittedly not qualified to commentate on basketball strategy on this level (not that said lack of qualification traditionally stops one from doing so on a message board). I'm genuinely curious what the theories are because it didn't seem that OSU had anyone that could stop Scott or Gordon inside without fouling, or even stop Booker from dribble penetrating. Buffs did have a tough time passing it inside, but when they were able to something good happened every time.

2. How many of you that went to the game had this happen when you got the roster card? I notice on the front what at first glance looks to be the women's basketball team... "wait, this is the women's team, I wanted tonight's game..." I realize the back has what I'm looking for... "oh cool, I'm good. wait, the women's basketball team is really hot" Friend looks at card: "yeah, those girls are really hot for a basketball team". We get to our seats and study picture some more: "where''s the center with the big square shoulders"... "not sure... man, I'm going to start attending the women's games". (notice petite blonde girl next to petite Asian girl) "what possible position do those two play on a Pac-12 team?". "I dunno, but man, those girls are hot -- I'm going to some women's games!"

We watch first half, mostly ignore picture on roster card. Buddy goes to bathroom, I resume studying the card, eventually noticing the text on bottom, "Senior Spirit Squad Members" ... "Oh, wow, that makes sense". Friend gets back to seat, "Hey, I solved a mystery while you were gone"... "oh, yeah, that makes sense now"

two disclaimers before you flame me:
- before posting this, I went and looked at pix of the CU women's team. They are also a group of very attractive ladies and I probably would've had the same discussion (assuming they wearing comparable outfits). And yes, I really should go see one of their games.
- my daughter is a CU student and yes, I feel like a dirty old man. I'm appropriately ashamed and embarrassed (to a point, obviously I just posted for the whole internet to read)

3. Nice conference win by the first place Colorado Buffaloes! The crowd was great for a game over student break against an un-ranked opponent; if it seemed quiet, I suggest it was the smaller percentage of students.

Happy with the win, not a pretty or sound game. Bad officiating and it seemed like a bunch of our shots wouldn't drop especially in the first half. All-in-all, I never really thought the game was in doubt. Was I 100% we'd win when they narrowed the gap to 4 late in the gap, no, but I didn't panic. They were a few shots away at various points from being out of it and likewise we had a chance to put the game out of reach but didn't. I'm a believer you play up or down to the competition. Oregon is a new day, happy they won so we can give them a big loss for them.

I was not able to watch the broadcast, but I did a search on this Corey Williams character and it seems he has been the analyst for in-house broadcasts for his alma mater the U of A and probably a guy who, even though as a broadcaster he serves as a journalist covering the game, would probably refer to that team as "we" rather than in the third person objective style.

Something CU is going to have to get used to is being seen as carpetbaggers among the Pac-10 schools not accustomed to different teams being in their conference since Jimmy Carter was in the White House. Best way to shut them up is to continue to be a dominant team to the point where everyone in the league is proud of the Buffs for raising their profile as a premiere athletics conference.

Unless we magically find some outside shooting, which hasn't been there all season, Oregon will mud hole us Sunday. They simply have more scorers and overall talent.

That's not our game. We get to the line.

FWIW Utah shot 15% from 3 point land tonight against Oregon.

How we played against Oregon State has no bearing on Oregon. They play two completely different type of games. We match up better with Oregon.

Now, if the Ducks shoot 8 of 15 from 3 like Oregon State did last night, that would be a problem.

Remember, down the stretch, an osu guy was left wide open for a three on the right side line? Remember Tad yelling at his guys about leaving the guy wide open? Then, why, oh why, a possession or two later did we, once again, leave the guy wide open from the exact same spot where he, luckily, missed? This is the type of thing that is killing us and needs to get fixed.

Refs were ****ing ridiculous. Missed two elbows to the head by the beavers. One to XJ one to Spencer. Missed travels, 2 missed 5 second inbounding calls, missed 3sec calls on both sides, I could go on and on. Just ****ing awful.

Sat with AAU coach claiming to have had Ski and Hopkins as well as a few OSU guys.

Ski & Hop both played for the Compton Magic, and I believe a few other guys from OSU were on that team. One of the premier AAU teams out there and I know their twitter feed was pimping this game a bit. Great exposure for the team to have those guys repping for us. He have any comments about CU in general?

1. Agree with points raised by DBT and Buffnik wondering why frontcourt wasn't taking it to the hoop more. I don't want to pretend that I saw something that Tad didn't catch -- I think he's a great coach and I'm admittedly not qualified to commentate on basketball strategy on this level (not that said lack of qualification traditionally stops one from doing so on a message board). I'm genuinely curious what the theories are because it didn't seem that OSU had anyone that could stop Scott or Gordon inside without fouling, or even stop Booker from dribble penetrating. Buffs did have a tough time passing it inside, but when they were able to something good happened every time.

I think your last sentence explains a lot of it - the 1-3-1 zone makes it tricky to make an entry pass. With OSU's size it's tricky to get around them. The best way to attack is to go to the corner and try to feed the post. With the length OSU has, the corner becomes a dangerous spot, so it's hard to get it down low. When you add in the fact that they are the only team we'll play all year that runs this D, there probably wasn't a whole lot of prep time put in for it, and you get the mess that was last night's game.

Ski played one of his best games as a Buff tonight. He has always struggled against OSU because of their length, but he stayed patient on offense while letting his defense take over the game. Steals, constant pestering, incredible energy and even hit the glass. He wasn't going to let us lose tonight.

100 times this. Ski's shooting percentage wasn't great tonight, but a lot of that was due to desperation heaves to avoid shot clock violations (the off balance 30 footer that somehow hit rim that Talton was able to grab the rebound on was the most impressive missed shot I've seen in a long time). Ski was great last night.

And J-Hop REALLY wants to get that poster...

Ski & Hop both played for the Compton Magic, and I believe a few other guys from OSU were on that team. One of the premier AAU teams out there and I know their twitter feed was pimping this game a bit. Great exposure for the team to have those guys repping for us. He have any comments about CU in general?

I think your last sentence explains a lot of it - the 1-3-1 zone makes it tricky to make an entry pass. With OSU's size it's tricky to get around them. The best way to attack is to go to the corner and try to feed the post. With the length OSU has, the corner becomes a dangerous spot, so it's hard to get it down low. When you add in the fact that they are the only team we'll play all year that runs this D, there probably wasn't a whole lot of prep time put in for it, and you get the mess that was last night's game.

100 times this. Ski's shooting percentage wasn't great tonight, but a lot of that was due to desperation heaves to avoid shot clock violations (the off balance 30 footer that somehow hit rim that Talton was able to grab the rebound on was the most impressive missed shot I've seen in a long time). Ski was great last night.

And J-Hop REALLY wants to get that poster...

He wanted that tomahawk slam in the 2nd half. Bad. He was looking for the cutting lane all night, and I think he played more aggressively because of it. He should keep doing it.

4 of his 10 shots were late in the shot clock - somebody has to shoot them

Refs were ****ing ridiculous. Missed two elbows to the head by the beavers. One to XJ one to Spencer. Missed travels, 2 missed 5 second inbounding calls, missed 3sec calls on both sides, I could go on and on. Just ****ing awful.

Oh. you mean a typical "good" night for PAC 12 officials! Especialy galling was that Dinwiddie drive to the hoop where he was clearly in the open beneath the basket, then was just mugged by #32 and left sprawled on the court, with no call. Any other set of refs in the country would have called that an intentional foul, that's how brutal it was. The OSU guy had absolutely no shot at defending that play and was out only to intimidate or hurt the Mayor. Seems like he succeeded for a while, but in the end Diwiddie came through. Maybe Tad should put King or Mills out there with instructions to put a little payback "hurt" on guys like #32; like hockey, you gotta protect your stars. On the other hand, when OSU's Nelson drove the lane, often out of control, he'd just throw the ball up then take a dive, almost always drawing a two shot foul call.

Other frustrating things were: the number of shots that went halfway down into the hoop only to spin back out. I counted four of those, two of them threes. And Josh needs to learn to jam and stop missing lay-ups. Two obvious occasions, including one on a fast break that Ski put back. All totaled, that 12 points the Buffs didn't get.

If it wasn't for Ski we may have lost that game last night. He was the only player that played well the whole game. He consistantly gives the most effort. He played great defense, he was driving to the hoop and made good decisions with the ball (for the most part).

Oh. you mean a typical "good" night for PAC 12 officials! Especialy galling was that Dinwiddie drive to the hoop where he was clearly in the open beneath the basket, then was just mugged by #32 and left sprawled on the court, with no call. Any other set of refs in the country would have called that an intentional foul, that's how brutal it was. The OSU guy had absolutely no shot at defending that play and was out only to intimidate or hurt the Mayor. Seems like he succeeded for a while, but in the end Diwiddie came through. Maybe Tad should put King or Mills out there with instructions to put a little payback "hurt" on guys like #32; like hockey, you gotta protect your stars. On the other hand, when OSU's Nelson drove the lane, often out of control, he'd just throw the ball up then take a dive, almost always drawing a two shot foul call.

Other frustrating things were: the number of shots that went halfway down into the hoop only to spin back out. I counted four of those, two of them threes. And Josh needs to learn to jam and stop missing lay-ups. Two obvious occasions, including one on a fast break that Ski put back. All totaled, that 12 points the Buffs didn't get.

Not sure if Spencer was intimidated but I said to my friend at the game that Spencer looked hurt. He was at least dazed for a few minutes.

To me it was the free throw shooting that was so frustrating...how do you go 26 for 26 one game and then miss so many the next.

Also, where was Tre'Shaun Fletcher last night? Hurt or just a DNP situation?

God, that's worse than I expected. Was really disappointed in some of his teammates at a few points last night. Ski got the ball passed to him with less than 5 seconds on the shot clock at least twice.

Another note - we missed Fletch last night. Sounds like he's a little dinged up. We need him back.

EDIT - and SECO asked about Fletch as I was posting.

To me it was the free throw shooting that was so frustrating...how do you go 26 for 26 one game and then miss so many the next.

Also, where was Tre'Shaun Fletcher last night? Hurt or just a DNP situation?

Heard he had an injury

Not sure if Spencer was intimidated but I said to my friend at the game that Spencer looked hurt. He was at least dazed for a few minutes.

Abs was saying the same thing at the end. You guys may have been right.

Part of the Buffs' problem was OSU played a 2-3 zone almost all night long, not the 1-3-1, as Tad stated in his post game comments. The Buffs drilled for the 1-3-1, but OSU crossed 'em up! Even Robinson could understand the efficacy of that, after watching the WYO video.

Last edited:

Wait, are you talking about when Dinwiddie went across the lane in front of the basket and ended up on his butt? You think they should have called intentional on THAT? The reason it wasn't called a foul, and I was pissed as well, is because the ref on the baseline didn't have a clear view of the guy's hand on Spencer's chest. Sometimes the refs just can't see it. That said, the officiating SUCKED all night.

OSU only ran the 1-3-1 one possession and CU scored off of it.

Against the 2-3, CU doesn't cut, CU doesn't overload it, they just play perimeter ball with someone in the high post not looking to score but simply be a reversal option and it is annoying

Boyle would be well served to study the Georgetown attack against Syracuse's 2-3 zone....they function better against Syracuse than anyone I have seen

Seriously? ****, I guess I just assumed they were in the 1-3-1.

Well, I'm an idot.

Back