1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 Season Predictions

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by boydbuff, Dec 1, 2013.

1. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

Now that we have seen a full season under HCMM what are your predictions for W/L in 2014? We have to assume PRich is gone at this point. Not sure about any coaching changes, probably not.

CSU (in Denver)
    UMass (Gillette Stadium)
    Hawaii (home)

Arizona State (home)
    Oregon State (home)
    Washington (home)
    UCLA (home)
    Utah (home)

Arizona (away)
    Cal (away)
    Oregon (away)
    USC (away)

2. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

My predictions subject to change of course depending on how many Jucos we get, PRich changing his mind, coaching changes, etc.:

CSU (in Denver) W
    UMass (Gillette Stadium) W
    Hawaii (home) W

Arizona State (home) L
    Oregon State (home) W
    Washington (home) W
    UCLA (home) L
    Utah (home) W

Arizona (away) L
    Cal (away) W
    Oregon (away) L
    USC (away) L

This is of course an aggressive prediction of 7-5. This year, we won the games we should win and lost the ones we probably shouldn't win.I am hoping we take another step in the right direction by not only winning the ones we should but stealing a few (at home especially) that maybe we shouldn't.

3. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

Winning 7 would be amazing IMO. Those first three are certainly winnable though. I predict the same as Boyd except we lose vs. Oregon State and make a bowl. To me, that would be a huge improvement, especially if we make it close against ASU, USC and Oregon.

4. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

4-8, maybe 5-7 with some breaks.

5. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Too early, need to see what JUCOs we get, I'll go with 5 or 6. If I had to guess though...

CSU (in Denver) - W
    UMASS (Gillette Stadium) -W
    Hawaii (home) - W
    Arizona State (home) - L
    Oregon State (home) - W
    Washington (home) - L
    UCLA (home) - L
    Utah (home) - W
    Arizona (away) - L
    Cal (away) - W
    Oregon (away) - L
    USC (away) - L

OSU is the flex game but winning 5 or 6 next year looks relatively doable. Shouldn't be too difficult to get through the OOC schedule 3-0 and then hopefully win 3 conference games.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  6. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Without phenomenal improvement on the OL...you are looking at another 4W season. The three OOC games and maybe Cal. If CU gets a few breaks in one game like Oregon State or Utah, maybe they pick up another. ASU loses a lot to "graduation", but UCLA and AZ are pretty young IIRC. Utah has to find a QB, maybe Mannion and Crooks leave OSU. Overall, though, we are way behind in P12 caliber players.

7. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Until we significantly upgrade the talent on this roster we're going to struggle to keep up with the rest of this conference. Even schools like Cal probably still boast more speed and talent than we do so I'm not convinced yet that we're ready to make any significant jump from this season.

8. nolabuff

nolabuff Club Member Club Member

5-7
    W: CSU, UMASS, Hawaii,
    L: ASU, UO, USC, UCLA, UA, UW
    Toss up: Cal, OSU, Utah

9. HUFset

HUFset Well-Known Member

:lol:
    Did you watch a game this year? We are a 30lbs per player and light years away from UW. CSU actually had an offense towards the end of the year and could probably beat the 5hit out of us, now. Utah slapped us around yesterday and should have won by much more while we tried to run pro-set instead of spreading them out.

Our defense is incredibly undersized and slow. Our recruits are not looking any better than DII's last class.

We really need to cheat and pay some players. I'm sick of losing and drinking the kool-aid.

You are just delusional if you think we win 7 games, admit JC players and PRich stays.

10. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I'm with Duff, 5-7 at best. If we get there, I will be very excited for the following season.

11. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

Idot? Bitchdiot? Utah slapped us around in the first half. Not in the second. We would still beat CSU.

12. buffs233

buffs233 John Henderson's Sock

Without Paul Richardson - 3-9 or 2-10. Only likely wins against UMass and Hawaii

13. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

CSU couldn't score against Utah State. They had a good offense for the MWC. That's almost like saying that ASU would be a good offense in the NFL. Buffs held Cal and Utah to 24 points each in 2 of the past 3 weeks. Those offenses are better than CSU's. I'll take our defense with 8 returning starters, Rippy becoming eligible out of his transfer year, hopefully a JUCO or two, and a lot of S&C development over the offseason.

7-5 is certainly a "blue sky" type pick. But it's not outlandish, imho.

We've got 3 very winnable non-conference games and then 5 Pac-12 home games, which sets up to give us a great opportunity to have a bowl season.

14. Duff Man

Cal on the road is not a sure win.

15. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

Very true. I look for them to be much better next year, but still not sure that they'll offer much resistance on the defensive side of the ball.

16. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

:nod:

There's talent there. More than we have. And they'll be a lot better next year.

17. Duff Man

It's not even that I think Cal will get much better. More an indictment of our team's play on the road. Two road wins since joining the conference.

18. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I'm counting on further meltdown from Cal and Willingham's continued erosion.

19. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

CSU loses all their starters from both lines to graduation. They'll come back to earth.

20. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

Exactly the way I see it without PRich. With him? Maybe one to two more at best. But if we beat OSU at home, we can go bowling. If not...we would have to beat someone I can't see us beating at this point.

21. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

Recruiting and attrition need to be looked at before venturing a true guess...but I will be optimistic and say 6-6

22. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

If you've been watching The Drive and getting glimpses into that locker room, you might say otherwise. They are teetering on a cliff. They aren't going to be better unless Dykes reins in the team mentally and they have some early success that generates buy-in. Their first game next year is @ Northwestern, no gimmie.

23. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Wins over the 3 OOC opponents. Possible wins over Utah, Oregon State and at Cal. Will be disappoint if we don't win two of those. 5-7.

24. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I think six wins is attainable.

25. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Will wait until August when we know what the team looks like. However, if we don't go 3-0 in out of conference, doom.

26. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

27. Ralphandler1

Ralphandler1 Member

The thing that scares me here is I see improvement in attitude and desire. They are better coached and finally in position to make plays..... BUT we don't have the talent to compete in the P12 right now and looking at our recruiting it doesn't look like we are making that jump. We have a bunch of 3 star guys who are picking CU over schools like Idaho, San Jose, CSU etc. We are not ever gonna be competitive playing with recruits that we are battling against MWC teams to get. There are def some 3 star gems like Gilliam but on the whole you gotta start getting solid 3 star and some 4 star talent to even be on the same playing field as the rest of the P12. Based on current talent and current recruiting I am guessing another 3-4 win season is in store and not sure its gonna be increasing too much in the foreseeable future. JUCO's could change this, facility improvements would help etc. But I am not too optimistic for the next few years.

28. Quattro

Using 2014 recruiting class rankings to predict the 2014 season...interesting tactic

29. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

To be fair though, if you used the 2013, 2012, 2011, or 2010 rankings to predict the 2014, I'm not sure if you come out much better.

30. Quattro

No doubt, but using a bunch of 17 year olds to predict how we're gonna do next year, unless it's a class full of JUCOs, isn't very valid IMO. Yes there will be impact freshman that other schools get, but most will RS.